Hope This Clears Up The Language Debate :)

Guest Zulu1

Guest Zulu1

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the EU (European Union) rather than German, which was the other possibility. As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five-year phase-in plan that would be known as "Euro English."

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make sivil servants jump for joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of the "k." This should klear up konfusion and keyboards kan have one fewer karakter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replased with the "f." This will make words like "fotograf" 20% shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage

where more-komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate spelling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent "e"s in the language is disgrasful, and they should go away.

By the 4th year, people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v."

During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensible riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech ozer.

ZE DREM VIL FINALI KUM TRU

I vil be glad to partisipat in this lingual revolution! But ze problem of ze proper kapitalisation shuld also be adresed!

------------------------------------------

TargetDrone

vho has a heart for smilies

and wil figt for zeir rights...

[This message has been edited by TargetDrone (edited 06-07-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zulu1:

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensible riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech ozer.

ZE DREM VIL FINALI KUM TRU <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mein Fuhrer, I can Valk!

Good one Zulu. That is hilarious

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zulu1:

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the EU (European Union) rather than German, which was the other possibility.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why on earth did they even consider German a serious possibility? Don't get me wrong, I'm a native German speaker, but German is so difficult and full of exceptions that I don't think I would want to learn this language. Just my 2 cents.

Dschugaschwili

Back when the United States was being created, the founding fathers voted on what our national language would be. English won over German by one vote!!!

Funny, Dschugaschwili, I've always heard English is a hard second language to learn...