Sunken Road AAR

Guest Robert Hall

Guest Robert Hall

Fionn

I should like to compliment you on the style of your ongoing AARs for the Sunken Road. You present the facts and your thoughts very succinctly and give invaluable insights into the reasoning behind why you are doing certain things.

The overall map you include about every other turn in the AAR is very useful in understanding the current overall picture of the scenario.

Out of curiosity, do you keep an ongoing written tally of your and your opponent's casualties during a game since you always mention how many casualties you have taken and inflicted during a turn?

Having been used to recent AARs include the accompanying movie, will it be possible for you to post the movies for the Sunken Road on CMHQ to view, at least the movies you saw if Bil's cannot be included too, once the full version of CM becomes available in a couple of weeks please? It would complete the picture and help some of us to analyse the situation in more detail and learn yet more valuable tips I am sure.

I realise pbem has been made more secure in the Gold demo than previously. However, will it be possible for example to open your opponent's set-up file in the editor for a 'blind pbem', or to view the default set-up locations in the 'unseen' scenario, with the full game to glean 'unfair' info about your opponent's initial set-up? If so, has this been/will this be/can this be addressed to stop 'cheating' and ensure a level playing field?

Robert

Thanks Robert,

> I should like to compliment you on the style of your ongoing AARs for the Sunken Road. You present the facts and your thoughts very succinctly and give invaluable > insights into the reasoning behind why you are doing certain things.

Again, thanks... The Alpha AAR was my first AAR ever (and one of my first ever PBEM games with any wargame) and since then I like to think that I've refined the style of my presentation to more accurately fit CM and explain what I'm thinking more clearly.

I've been wondering with this AAR if the reason no-one was asking me questions was because either:

a) they were totally bored and fed up with it or,

B) the actual AAR had answered all of their questions wink.gif.

IF anyone has ANY questions at all about the Sunken Lane AAR I'd be more than happy to answer them here on the forum. I love talking weapons and tactics.

> The overall map you include about every other turn in the AAR is very useful in understanding the current overall picture of the scenario.

Yes, I've also begun to refer to the platoons by the name of their leader so that it is easier to keep track of who shifts where. This battle is actually a VERY fluid battle and so it would be all too easy to get confused.

> Out of curiosity, do you keep an ongoing written tally of your and your opponent's casualties during a game since you always mention how many casualties you have taken and inflicted during a turn?

No. For purposes of the AAR I took a written tally when reviewing the movies and writing up my turns for the simple reason that it was about the only way I could get across to you just how devastating the initial ambush was.

In-game I just keep a mental running tally of platoons. I have roughly five levels for each platoon.

Level 1: Uncommitted. Full ammo, full manpower, in reserve.

Level 2: Has made contact but is still in good shape.

Level 3: Down to half-strength.

Level 4: Down to a quarter or less.

Level 5: Wiped out or down to just 1 or 2 men.

By just watching movies I, automatically, mentally classify the enemy platoons I run into into these categories. E.g. the platoon which I just ambushed running across the crossroads and in which I killed the platoon HQ and 1 squad WAS a Level 4 platoon. It is now a Level 5 platoon since only a few survivors of 1 squad are still combat-capable.

My grading of platoons into levels also acts as a rough guide to how much "fight" they have left. Levels 1 and 2 are quite combat-capable. Level 3 will need reinforcements if it is to hold against a determined enemy push and can only attack a VERY weak enemy or with the help of extremely strong supporting and suppressive fires. One might also consider pulling a Level 3 platoon back since it won't be able to stop a large assault. Level 4 is NO USE for attacking and can only be relied upon to defend itself against weak attacks. It isn't suitable for defending locations etc.. At this stage your only hope is that a Level 4 platoon won't run into a large enemy group since, if it does, it will be wiped out. Level 5: Hide them. They are useless.

>Having been used to recent AARs include the accompanying movie, will it be possible for you to post the movies for the Sunken Road on CMHQ to view, at least the movies you saw if Bil's cannot be included too, once the full version of CM becomes available in a couple of weeks please? It would complete the picture and help some of us to analyse the situation in more detail and learn yet more valuable tips I am sure.

I have ALL the movies from both sides of this battle and, once CM ships, we will post the movies for download. The battle lasts 20 turns and each side's movies run to, approximately 10 MBs so if you want to view both sides you need to brace yourself for a 20 MB download. It is well worth it though since I think this particular battle has a lot to teach.

> I realise pbem has been made more secure in the Gold demo than previously. However, will it be possible for example to open your opponent's set-up file in the editor for a 'blind pbem', or to view the default set-up locations in the 'unseen' scenario, with the full game to glean 'unfair' info about your opponent's initial set-up? If so, has this been/will this be/can this be addressed to stop 'cheating' and ensure a level playing field?

Yes. The way this has been addressed is called "Tournament Save" and will be explained in an article on CMHQ tonight...

Fionn

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

I've been wondering with this AAR if the reason no-one was asking me questions was because either:

a) they were totally bored and fed up with it or,

B) the actual AAR had answered all of their questions wink.gif.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, definately not a), at least for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

IF anyone has ANY questions at all about the Sunken Lane AAR I'd be more than happy to answer them here on the forum. I love talking weapons and tactics.

[...] It is well worth it though since I think this particular battle has a lot to teach.

Fionn<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I think I can still learn a lot. The stories you tell in your AARs are usually quite different from my experience when playing CM frown.gif

Oh, and one thing I'd like to ask, how do you decide when and how to attack/counterattack?

It seems that I always take either heavy or almost no casualties when attacking anything. How do you judge if it will work or not?

Dschugaschwili

Geez, I never even contemplated the idea of downloading completed games and watching the movies! cool.gif That could be spectacular. Of course not to beat a dead horse (but I will anyway smile.gif ) this would be even cooler if you could watch the entire battle unfold fluidly. Man I hope that BTS can make that work somehow. wink.gif

------------------

Rob Varak

Editor

Site on Sound: The Web's Premier Site For Musical Discussion

www.siteonsound.com

Fionn,

I agree with Robert, your AARs are top-notch.

Very well written, and the screenshots are also very good.

I have a question re: tactics.

As i understood it, due to Bil's overwhelming firepower, you were forced to adopt a more aggressive approach in order to even the odds. This has clearly paid dividends as your AAR has illustrated (sorry Bil wink.gif).

However, you had stated that this was not a sure thing and events could have gone the other way on more than one occasion. My question is, had things not worked out as well as they did, what plan 'B' did you have up your sleeve?

No need to elaborate in detail, a general idea would do me just fine. However, if it means divulging info that would ruin the AAR, then please hold off. I'd rather watch the show than read the book wink.gif

------------------

"I do like to see the arms and legs fly"

I believe that if any of you wish to continue this discussion further it would be best to so somewhere else other than this forum. I'll reply to each of you via email. I hope you don't mind if I cc you all on one single mass email as it'll simply save me time.

Guest Robert Hall

Appreciate your responses, Fionn. As far as I am concerned, the AAR answers many of the questions it raises - except that I'd like to see it in 3D wink.gif .

Without the movies, not possible to view of course for us mere mortals at present awaiting the full product, you sometimes become a little disoriented reading the text which is why it is so helpful to view the overall map, even if it temporarily has to be in 2D. For example, it is difficult even in the pictures to see just how high the 'ridgeline' really is relative to the surrounding terrain. In VofT, you do not really appreciate the scale of the terrain until you get right down to one of the lower view levels.

I'll be watching for the 'Tournament Save' article tonight. Sounds like BTS has thought of just about everything. I hasten to add my reason for asking this is playing VofT 'blind' at present means you obviously trust your opponent and can enjoy a really fun battle, but I could see the possibility of that going out the window in a tournament, CMMC or ladder match where very occasionally, one person may be only concerned about winning at any cost by whatever unscrupulous means are available wink.gif !

Please copy me on any emails you send.

Robert

If anyone wants to be cc'ed to the email discussion please email me privately and I'll add you.

Bil, Robert.. I'll send the email I already sent out to you two also. Any and all questions welcome ( off the forum only though).

Ps. Bil, if you learn any more from me you'll win every game we play from now on wink.gif. You're a tough SOB to play and now that you've been punished for every laxness you've displayed you're also a VERY unforgiving opponent wink.gif (I'm still gonna kick your canucks out of that village though... I'm gonna roll up your flank and catch you in a crossfire.)

------------------

Ask me politely and you'll get a complete and polite response. Act impolitely and I'll ignore you forever. Your choice.

This sig is so NO-ONE can say they haven't been warned about my stance on this subject.

[This message has been edited by Fionn (edited 05-18-2000).]