Reconnaissance By Fire?

Just finishing up Doubler's CLOSING WITH THE ENEMY, and something struck me. He points out that U.S. had great success with performing recon by fire. Is this sort of behavior modeled in CM? For example, if my squad fires at a house which (unbeknownst to them) contains enemy troops, will the hidden enemy return fire. I suppose the answer may depend on the experience of the hidden troops, but I was just wondering.

Rob

PS Read Doubler's book, it's fantastic cool.gif

Even if out of sight, troops hiding in an area that is sprayed with fire will suffer suppression and possibly even casualties. The troops in the house might return fire or not, it depends on their experience etc. They can even break and rout away. Recon by fire is a great tactic for Combat Mission!

(And CLOSING WITH THE ENEMY indeed is a great book) smile.gif

Guest Captain Foobar

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The troops in the house might return fire or not, it depends on their experience etc. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So is there a direct relationship between return fire and experience level? Please elaborate, because I'm trying to figure this out. Is a veteran squad more or less likely to return fire from a house, than a green one. And how does hiding or not hiding effect this?

Guest Big Time Software

Moon is correct (and Doubler's book is fantastic!) about recon by fire. It isn't as effective as it is in some other games, but it is realistically effective in CM. What I mean by "not as effective as..." is you can't drive an empty truck into the enemy lines and spot all his units before it gets zapped. Favorite SP tactic smile.gif In fact, Fionn tried that in the Alpha AAR game and lost two valuable HTs for no gain wink.gif

Experience level influences the unit's decision to stay hidden or return fire. The more experienced the unit, the less likely it will unHide. Picture a more or less random spraying of small arms fire on two units who are hiding. The Green guys might get up and return fire, thinking they were being attacked, while the vets might just sit and wait to see what was really up. And the bit about units breaking is also very important, because significant fire might keep the vets pinned but send the Green guys packing.

Steve

They NEVER let me live anything down Doug...

I console myself with the thought of securing a rematch when CM2 is in beta or something wink.gif

Either that or I point to the vast number of American machinegun units lying dead on the Eastern side of the river hehe wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Grrrr... wink.gif

And I'd have to point to the platoon defending the river wink.gif.. OR the guys in the woods who displaced right into an arty barrage LOL wink.gif

That really was a knock down, drag out fight wasn't it ? wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Fionn (edited 01-07-2000).]

I just d/l'd CM yesterday and it is my first game of it's type. So if I am a tad off in catching up, please bear with me.

However, in the real world of Infantry and Combined Arms operations, RECON BY FIRE can most effectively be conducted by mortars, arty and armor. These can do this from a greater distance and with more impact than

a rifle squad or even a platoon in many cases. In fact, most RECON BY FIRE IS conducted with/by the heavier weapons tho .30's and .50's will suffice as well.

I am still learning the demo and have yet to get it quite right, but IF RECON BY FIRE is modelled in CM, than it may be useful to employ the larger weapons to do so, if you are in a position to employ them.

[This message has been edited by ARCHANGEL (edited 01-08-2000).]

Operation Veritable, 1945

The British/Canadian forces fired suppression artillery and smoke as if they were making an advance. The Germans opened up with just about everything they had against this attack. However, not a single Allied soldier was in position to advance or were in the fire of the Germans. This was all a feint in order to flesh out the majority of the German artillery which was destroyed or forced to move/withdrawl. When the real attack was made resistence was much less. Recon by fire can be used either to fool the TacAI or a PBEM player.