Probe PBEMs

Just curious: Does anyone ever play a "probe" battle with PBEM? By the way, do you find this kind of battle fun? (I've never played a "probe" engagement. Instead, I tend to choose meeting engagement.)

I apologize in advance if this is a lamer question.

-Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chasd:

No I dont, Probes are something like 0.25:1 and thats suicide.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh? No they're not smile.gif

Attacker has a slight points advantage, defender doesn't get a large setup area or many fortification points. They play pretty well for PBEM, actually.

------------------

Grand Poobah of the fresh fire of Heh.

I think the ratio is 1.25 to 1. Actually it's a good way to learn how to set up a defense without having to worry about being overwhelmed by an assault. Plus since the flags are close to the start line it creates a good opportunity for the defender to launch counter attacks. It's kind of fun.

I'm probing right now. smile.gif

As the flags are much closer to the defenders edge, he has much less

ambush space, and can't really fall back without losing.

I used to play mostly meetings, but other types are actually more fun.

------------------

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of

our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

On turn 9 of a Probe PBEM with Croda right now... and while it started slow, for several reasons, it is getting hairier by the turn.

I currently control all the VL's, have taken tolerable losses and knocked out 1 Puma, 4 or 5 75mm infantry guns, three SMG squads, and the platoon leader.

Were I the gamey type, I'd park my lines right about where they are, wait out the remaining turns, and go for the points-based victory. But since this is a probe, I will continue to "explore" the map, and with any luck, erase the remainder of his troops.

All this in 28m visibility...

------------------

To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee...