Guest major_tom

Guest major_tom

http://www.panzerelite.com/

http://combatsim.com/

Here are a few other sites you folks might be

interested in.

I have read several reviews of Panzer Elite

and I have seen their graphics. If you do not

know about this game you should check it out.

First off it is ONLY available for a PC so as a die hard MAC guy I'm not interested. But it does look good but the reviews say it seems to

be mostly a Tank driving sim made by Germans

with a Passion for the detail of Panzers,

the screen shots and graphics look very good

but I don't think (from my limited understanding of the game) that it plays

the same way as Combat Mission.

I hope perhaps that some one who has played

the Combat mission beta demo and Panzer Elite

can comment further and compare and contrast

(yes I do work in a post secondary educational

institution) the two game styles graphics and AI.

thanks

I think Combat Mission will be GREAT and I can't thank you enough for the dedication to

releasing it at the same time on the Mac.

I (like everyone else here) can't wait for the

Gold Demo and to receive actual game in the mail.

-Tom W

Before I stumblled upon the CM site.

I was surfing reviews to buy a good war game.

Panzer Elite did look like a good game.

So did Panzer General 3D assault.

Anyone ever play any of these games.

------------------

Better to make the wrong decision than be the sorry son of a bitch to scared to make one at all

Panzer Elite? Well just another tank simm and it is really not even the best eye candy simm either which is why most ppl buy simms for. CM is unbelievable!! It is the most revolutionary and new concept in gaming I have ever seen. And I have been computer gaming ever since my Apple II days in 1984 and board games all the way back to 1967. And now I am happy to say I can finally pack away the Squad Leader hernia kit that I always looked at but never could find people to play smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Zhammer (edited 04-04-2000).]

PE is an excelent "down in the dirt" tank sim. There is no overhead view, all you have is what you can see out the vision slits or your coppula. The gunnery ballistics are top notch (the most difficult part of the game for most newcomers), and the ammo types, armor values, and ballistic ranges are as good as Ive seen. Its only drawback is the multi play reliability with 4 players. 2-3 players runs well, and 4 players 50% of the time. Theres a patch in the works for this. Make sure you have a hot system too, or your frame rates may be horrible. Its a texture hog, and youll need an equally good video card to run it smooth. Fortunatly, tanks dont move that fast (especialy if they are shooting at you), so the slow frames dont effect game play to much. Single player missions are historicaly accurate, with weapon types and variouse armor being available only in the year (and month) they were historicaly. You wont know adrenelin until you have you nosed mashed to the gunsight in an M4, and a Tiger platoon rolls over the ridge smile.gif In fact, after that, you wont know anything at all.

------------------

As I walk through the Valley of Death, I will fear no one, for I am the meanest mother*#*#** in the valley. (George S. Patton)

Guest Zulu1

To: major_tom

Suggest you use the search feature and look under Panzer Elite, CM vs Panzer Elite etc.

This topic has been covered pretty extensively. Results are a mixed bag. SOme love PE, some hate it.

Its the best WWII tank simulator out there, but is not without its problems.

"There is no overhead view, all you have is what you can see out the vision slits or your coppula."-Echo

Correct me if I´m wrong Echo,but you can see the tank from the outside,Ctrl+F1.Well I can

anyhoot.

Rather dissapointing game,nice scenarios though.

Bye, G-D

Guest MantaRay

Well, I have a web page on it that isnt finished(link is below), but I like the game. There are some good mods for it also that give you better tanks and stuff like that. There is even a British Tanks mod comming soon.

I will say that unless you really are into Tank Sims, dont get it because it is a very hard game. Much harder to learn than CM, and with the screwed up MP(which I have only done once)best that you wait for the patch to come out someday before you buy it.

Ray

------------------

MantaRays 5 Pages

From the perspective of a "Beer and Pretzels" wargamer:

CM is easy to learn, difficult to master. PE is difficult to learn.

PROS:

Graphics are fabulous

Runs very smoothly (PIII 500, ATI Rage, 128M RAM)

Seems to have a lot of depth

Physics look good

No re-spawning

CONS

Difficult to learn

Manual is crap

Difficult to learn

No tutorial - anywhere (I scoured on-line and there is nothing really good)

Difficult to learn

Die really quickly

You get the idea.

I reckon you need a lot of time to invest in this one, which you won't have after the end of May.