would it be infeasible

in gaming terms to make the officers of HQs seperate figures from the three or four men under their immediate command. I mean 1 officer = 1 man on the screen and whatever extra men that were with him represented by

the two or three man squad look?

would that be possible for CM2? They would still be under any orders given to that officer just seperate graphically. just wondering about this. Can anybody enlighten me?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mord:

Can anybody enlighten me?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only generally. Charles has stated that due to continuously increasing hardware power after the release of CM1, we might very well see a lot of enhanced graphical related changes in the later versions.

Hawk

------------------

Our's is not to reason why, our's is but to do and die!

Guest Germanboy

in gaming terms to make the officers of HQs seperate figures from the three or four men under their immediate command. I mean 1 officer = 1 man on the screen and whatever extra men that were with him represented by

the two or three man squad look?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you change the graphics, then what happens when that guy gets killed? Currently this is abstracted and the HQ functions until it is wiped out completely, even though there is a 25% chance that the last survivor is Private Bloggs, the runner. Do you want to change that (which would be pretty fundamental) or do you just ask for a graphical change (which would then probably lead to a lot of complaining if the 'officer' gets incapacitated and the HQ still functions)?

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 10-25-2000).]

I think if at least at the platoon level the officer was killed off the platoon sergeant would take over,this could be portrayed graphically by having 2 HQ elements, 1 being the PLT LDR and his radioman the other being the PLT SGT and his runner,at company and battalion level it could be the CO and his RTO and the XO and his RTO. This would also allow you to simulate different members of the chain of command taking charge of smaller portions of the battle,such as the PLT LDR moving up with his attack element and the PLT SGT staying with the base of fire element in a platoon level assault.

[This message has been edited by Splinty (edited 10-25-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Splinty:

This would also allow you to simulate different members of the chain of command taking charge of smaller portions of the battle,such as the PLT LDR moving up with his attack element and the PLT SGT staying with the base of fire element in a platoon level assault.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would that be realistic for all the armies involved? I somehow don't think so, just recalling what I have read in first-person accounts. But if it can be proven that this was SOP and indeed carried out... It may also increase gamey use of HQs, in that you probably would not leave one behind, but use both to support your attack, increasing your C&C.

------------------

Andreas

Who the hell would want to micromanage the runners in every HQ unit in a 500 point game let along the 3K-5K games common in PBEMs. 'Course, some of the more masochistic wargamers out there might miss having the control provided by old-school wargames and their hundreds and thousands of counters...

Mord, I'm not sure I see any benefit to this. It seems to be a change just because it would "be neat to do." I can see things only getting more complicated were this change to take place. I have no problems with how the HQ unit is currently modelled.

------------------

"Nuts!"

Germanboy you have a good point,IIRC that is the way the Germans operated and I know thats the way the Americans and the British operated at platoon level,but I don't know about the French,Polish and other allied Armies,and to further confuse things I believe the Russians didn't do things that way in that NCO's in the Red Army were nothing more than mouthpieces for the officers.

Maj Bosco: I didn't mean for the RTO's and runners to be modeled separately,they were be included with the HQ unit. i.e. PLT LDR would be 1 guy representing 2 people. smile.gif

By the way, who ARE those three other guys with the Lt.? Are they also Lts? I've found that even after 3/4 men out of the LT unit get killed (and the pistol is no longer availabe, assuming the LT was shot) that the LT unit is still able to command just as effectiviely. Therefore, every man in that unit is able to command just as effectively as the others, does that mena that they are all LTs?

What types of soldiers composedh this unit, historically?

I guess what I am getting at is if that officer was killed the other unit that is represented graphically would remain,(threeman twoman squad look) his staff members if you will, but the power of command would die with him.

Or maybe graphically the officer could be represented with two riflemen attached, like the three man squad look, except you'd have one pistol waving soldier. But as stated when he buys it so does the command line.

I hope I am not confusing anyone..I am having a hard time trying to write this clearly. I don't want to come off like an idiot. I wasn't sure this was even a viable topic for discussion but seeing that you all have jumped into the fray I am happy that I brought it up.

Mord.

P.S Point well taken Croda. I could go either way on this subject. Thanks for the input.

[This message has been edited by Mord (edited 10-25-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

I guess what I am getting at is if that officer was killed the other unit that is represented graphically would remain,(threeman twoman suad look) his staff members if you will, but the power of command would die with him.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a lot clearer now. I think that is a suggestion that could be thought about. At the moment it probably would have to be handled by some random factor, and there is a problem in that the officer need not be killed or wounded to a degree to lose C&C ability (CM casualty does not mean killed, just unable to fight) to become a casualty. There are a lot of accounts of officers leading their units from the stretcher. I can see that this would create as many problems as it solves. Just my £0.02

Spacewrangler - officer, radioman, runner, platoon sergeant I think. But C&C is abstracted, as long as one is okay the C&C works. Officer is assumed to be the last one to go down.

------------------

Andreas

A side question to this. Does the Sgt have any effect on the men in his squad as far as morale and keeping them from breaking goes?

An in game unseen factor that is handled by the programming? Or is he as unstable as say a corporal when the proverbial **** hits the fan? Or is all this just handled under the Squads experience rating? LOL! Man there surely is alot of depth to this game!

It has always seemed to me that the sgt/s in a squad or in platoons are the big brother figures to their men, where as the CO, if a good one, is the father figure.

[This message has been edited by Mord (edited 10-25-2000).]