New " St.Mere Eglise " scenario soon be ready , but...I need help

Guest Tom

Hi all ,

I want to finish my second scenario this weekend: A small 15 turn battle that deals with the horrible US paradrop at 6.6.44 over the small town of St.Mere Eglise ( I guess you all remember the scenes from the movie " The Longest Day " ). I try to make this scenario as historical accurate as possible , so I have a few questions:

1.) Does anybody remember who´s house was burning in the town and WHY did it burn ? ( Was there an airraid before ? )

2.) Who was in command of the US paratrooper company at St. Mere Eglise ??

3.) I can´t find ANY informations about the german troops involved in this massacre...what kind of units were these and how many of them ?

BTW: Anybody interessted in playtesting my scenario when I am finished ???

Thanks in advance

Tom

------------------

Visit Toms Combat Mission HQ ( bilingual site ) at http://home.germany.net/101-77027/CM/TCMHQ.html

Read Cornelius Ryan's book. It's all there, and I don't have the inclination to type it out.

I can tell you that he reckons a grand total of about 12 Americans died in the drop, which might put things into perspective for you.

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

This is taken from Ambrose's D-Day, which I am currently reading:

A small hay barn on the south side of the church square was on fire, evidently caused by a tracer.

The first men to land in an around the town were from the 506th PIR, 101st Airborne, although their objective was Ste.-Marie-du-Mont. Lt. Richard Winters was the ranking officer, as the company commander was killed when his plane crashed. Four men from that group were killed, as the Germans were distracted by the fire.

After the men of the 506th scattered, the second platoon of F Company, 505th PIR, landed right on top of Ste.-Mere-Eglise. By this time the German garrison was fully alerted and fired on the men as they drifted down and as they landed. Ambrose does ot say how many paratroopers were hit or give any information on the German garrison.

A few hours later Lt. Col. Ed Krause, 3rd Battalion, 505th PIR (I think from the 82nd, as Ambrose is talking about the 82nd at this point) headed towards Ste.-Mere-Eglise with 180 men. When they got there the fire was out and the town's residents and the Germans had gone back to sleep. The paratroopers quitely worked their way into town and were directed to the German billets by a local Frenchman. Thirty Germans surrendered and ten were shot trying to resist

At that point, Ste.-Mere-Eglise was taken.

I hope this helps.

You will need to replace the ambient sound wav with ringing bells if you want an authentic atmosphere. smile.gif

From Ryan's book, it was M. Hairn's Villa that was burning, due to an air raid.

I can't find the company commander's name (it's the only D Day book I have). Pvt Ryan's details should be helpful though.

If your bothering to go into this kind of detail, you're scenario should be a gooden.

Look forward to playing it when it's finished.

------------------

"Surrender? Tell them to go to hell."

Gentleman ,

Thanks for your efforts ! They were VERY HELPFULL...unfortunately your informations - and a new map I discovered while searching the net - bring me to the point to redo my scenario from scratch... So you have to wait to next week until everything is " in place ".

Regards

Tom

------------------

Visit Toms Combat Mission HQ ( bilingual site ) at http://home.germany.net/101-77027/CM/TCMHQ.html

There already is a scenario called "La Fiere" that comes with the game based on No Better Place to Die and a bunch of other books/research. If anything an operation covering La Fiere, Shanley's Hill and Timmes Orchard would be interesting though the map area would be fairly huge.

Los

(in case you missed it)

Hallo Michael ,

Danke für die Komplimente betreffs meiner CM Seite ( es macht einen Höllenspaß sich an so einem Projekt auszutoben ...wenn man nur etwas mehr Zeit hätte......... ). Was Deine Fragen im CM Forum betrifft: Nun , es gibt schon einige einheimische CM Spieler: Zur Zeit spiele ich CM PBEMs gegen zwei Leute aus meinem napoleonischen Wargame Club. Ich bin zwar kein Freund von irgendwelchen " Clubs , Ladders , Rankinglists " , aber...es wäre vielleicht nicht die schlechteste Idee , die Namen und E-Mail Adressen deutscher Spieler auf meiner Page zu veröffentlichen. Man könnte dann ganz zwanglos Partien vereinbaren , ein Tournier starten oder auch mal - tolle Idee - eine Art LAN-Party.

Bin für alle Vorschläge dankbar.

Gruß in meine alte Heimat ( bin gebürtiger Niedersachse aus Göttingen )

Tom

P.S.: To all international readers: this is no " german conspiracy " *g* ... just a short answer to Michael about a possible " german CM community " ( LAN partys etc. )

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Man könnte dann ganz zwanglos Partien vereinbaren , ein Tournier starten oder auch mal - tolle Idee - eine Art LAN-Party.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Concerning this, please read my "Deutsche ACHTUNG wink.gif - Germans listen up" thread. It seemed that there wasn´t that much interest in LAN-gaming for now (maybe until TCP/IP patch is out).

Have a nice day...

------------------

"I am no fool!"

Michael