Weird Maps

Scheuer

TacOps is a kind of science fiction-game, with a what-if-glasnost-didn´t-happen theme. The NATO and OPFOR armies depicted are bred for fighting each other in a central European environment. All the more strange that almost none of the real world maps in TacOps cover this terrain. Or am I missing something? Before I throw myself into the project of making four huge TacOps-maps of the Fulda Gap I would appreciate if someone told me if such maps already exist.

And Matt Ohlmer, if you read this, can you please explain why you did that beautiful map 105 of Hague, one of the places in the world that is least likely to see armed conflict?

And finally, Ralf Pichocki, you seem to be on the right track with a series of German maps. Your project sounds very exciting, and I would be very glad if you told me how I could find out more about it.

Originally posted by Scheuer:

And Matt Ohlmer, if you read this, can you please explain why you did that beautiful map 105 of Hague, one of the places in the world that is least likely to see armed conflict?

Three reasons:

- A US politicialn describing the the hypothetical scenario of the US invading NL to extract US citizens that might face trial at the International Court (which is in The Hague) tempted me to run this as a CPX

- we had no large general town map that depicted town movement abstractly correct, the Hague map serves this purpose (thats why I dint put any names in)

- another map for using seaborne invasion forces like an MEU against different dfesne types

Last, I had a papaer map of The Hague ready when I was in Amsterdam a few years ago which was when I started the project.

Rattler (aka Matt Ohlmer)

Originally posted by Stoffel:

No it was never played.

Maybe once it will,main reason is that the ICC hasnt been build jet smile.gif

And off course couse I would defend my homecountry...........which scared many people off ;)

The ICC has´nt been built? Where does Carla del Ponte go when she goes to work? And where is Milosevic held on trial?

Anyway, a scenario like the one described is much too hot and painful be played. It could theorethically happen, and then American and European TacOps-players would kill each other for real. War is only fun as long as it is a game.

• 4 months later...

one day the US will recognize the importance and sign the treaty accepting the court is responsible for criminals of war even if that includes citicens of the US sometimes.

i still wonder why its any harder to recognize that for US senators than it was for all the joining countries' politicans :confused:

They all work in the normal courts in the heague.

I think the building will be ready next year.

Prisoners are held at the Scheveningen jail.

You can also try the map that Ralf made for me its from the sector my former batallion had to defend against a mixed Polish/Eastern German army.

Its a map of the River Aller area.

You can also get an OOB from me once I am home again.

Henk