Jump to content

Seeing map before unit purchasing


Fenris
 Share

Recommended Posts

If/when possible I would like an option added to quick battle generation that would allow you to do a recce of the map before going onto the unit purchasing menu.

Also the development of autotomatic force generation for newly created campaigns would be nice.

Regards,

Fenris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've wished for this a few times, but I can't see it working. For example, you could PERFECTLY tailor your force for every map. "Okay, gotta remember to buy an 88 to plant on that hill, and get Hetzer to hold that clearing, and buy some BIG artillery to level that building, and. . ."

For me, part of the fun of CM is making whatever force I draw perform in any map. It would suck the fun right out of it for me if I had some weird, gamey, ahistorical force set up, and I couldn't avoid that, I don't think, because once I got a GLIMPSE of the map, I would already be figuring out the PERFECT force.

Bah. I'm tired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Andrew Hedges

I've thought about this, but I think Jeff is right -- it would lead to too much perfectionism. Besides, you do already know a lot of detail about the terrain, i.e., moderate hills, light tree cover, rural, dusk/dawn, deep mud, etc. -- that's enough to permit you to purchase appropriate, although not perfect, units.

I suppose units on the defense might be an exception -- that is, they probably did know the terrain very well.

Although, at least in the Bulge battles, the biggest advantage the US troops on the defense seemed to have was that they had good preregistered artillery -- you read about this again and again, and it is simulated by permitting defenders to buy TRPs. I don't remember reading much else about superior use of the terrain -- that is, I don't remember reading anything like, "Well, we knew that there was LOS through a gap in those trees, across a road, over an orchard, and between two buildings that would allow us to see part of a road, so we set up an M-10 platoon there."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think this is a very good idea. Remember that it would be an _option_. If somebody thinks it is unrealistic, just skip it.

Knowing the terrain you are to attack could be something gained from recon, maps, aircraft spotting, previous battles, etc.

Not to mention of course the defenders, who should no the terrain quite well beforehand.

Epée

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's one way it could work: After spending at least 75% of available points, the player could THEN get a peek at the map in order to spend the remaining 25% on useful support units. "Hmm, looks a little bushy -- better bring up some more infantry..."

The first purchase would have to be locked at this point so the player couldn't go back and re-purchase his whole force. Might work.

------------------

Years have passed and I keep thinking what a fool I've been;

I look back into the past and think of way back then;

I know that I lost everything I thought that I could win;

I guess I should have listened to my friends

All the burning bridges that have fallen after me;

All the lonely feelings and the burning memories;

Everyone I left behind each time I closed the door;

Burning bridges lost forever more

Link to comment
Share on other sites

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fenris:

If/when possible I would like an option added to quick battle generation that would allow you to do a recce of the map before going onto the unit purchasing menu.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not in favor of this because I too think it is to gamey. However, I think there is another solution that BTS has indicated they are looking into. What QBs really need is a briefing screen for player 2 so that he knows the game parameters. This can be done by exchange of email, but sometimes one forgets (either the settings or to tell the opponent!).

If you know it is a village, heavy woods, and moderate hills and can pick forces accordingly, you are still in a better situation than any Company or Battalion commander ever was in WW2. Still somewhat gamey, but a fair compromise because player 1 knows the game parameters anyway.

------------------

USGrant

When the game is over, the kings and pawns go in the same box. - Old Italian Saying

[This message has been edited by USGrant (edited 12-10-2000).]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd like to be able to view the firepower and advanced stats in the unit selection menu, (maybe you can, and I don't know how??).

As for being able to see the map first I'm against it in multiplayer games, but as long as it's an option I wouldn't mind it in singleplayer (not that I would use it myself).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...