Conveing ASL scenarios to CM

Hi all

One thing I am looking forward to in CM, is the oppertunety to play my old ASL scenarios in a 3d format, and I know for sure that I will be looking though my scenarios to find some that will be suitable, with regards to weapons, troop types terain etc..

I wondered if thougths have been made by members of this learned forum, as to some "standards". F.ex. How to deal with a squad in ASL (4-6-7) with a heavy MG (7-16).

Should this, in CM, be made into a regular half-squad and MG-crew?

I do realise, off course, that CM is a different game than ASL and that scenaios can, and most proberly will, be very unbalanced if taken over directly.

My point is however that when there are hundreds of, more or less, historical settings allready made, it would be a waste

to "start from scrath".

Kind regards

Morten Lundsteen

Copenhagen - Denmark

I was just thinking about that the other night. I wonder, with the map design editor, will we be able to create the ASL boards, save them, and then add and interlock them in different ways according to what ASL scenario we wanted to recreate.

Can you make an ASL map? Yes, a beta tester has done so to see what the maps he played look like in 3D. Can you interlock maps? No. You would have to do each map. Can you save maps for a scenario? Yes, but it is ONE map, not multiple maps put together.

Rune

the limit of ASL scenarios (except the last ones with the overlay s to put on maps) is that you have to play always with the same maps.

i think that with a little imagination and historic research and looking the original maps you can make a decent map for CM

many ASL scenarios needs many maps i think that this can handled in CM making a mor lenght and depth maps or using the operation system.

Guest Big Time Software

There is no reason why you wouldn't be able to make ASL scenarios in CM. The only problem with this is that ASL is one game, CM is another. That means each treats things very differently, even though both use similar units in theory. What I mean by this is that play balancing will have to be done all over and the original unit lists for an ASL scenario changed (most likely).

Moon did up an ASL scenario and the defender had pretty much no chance in hell of losing. A tweak here and there and boom, scenario was a funn one but it was now only based on an ASL battle. I would expect this to be the norm instead of the exception.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by -Kevin-:

I was thinking along the same lines. What are the copyright implications for distribution - if any? I hope there is not a problem exchanging converted scenarios as freeware.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer (well, except the rules kind).

The only area I think you're likely to run into possible copyright infringement issues when converting SL/ASL scenarios is in the scenario title and the situation descriptions/aftermath. Plagiarizing those couple of paragraphs is almost certainly a violation, and could potentially land you in hot water. But as far as copying the situations, general OBs or terrain layouts, I don't see that being a problem.

Note that Avalon Hill has in the past, um, "expressed displeasure" at independents for copying the AH scenario card layout and counter art, among other things.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

Re: Intellectual property. It would probably not be a good idea to "convert" ASL scenarios to CM, especially given the newly "resurrected" status of ASL and it's new "owner."

Used as a research tool and resource, there shouldn't be any problem. Two things I am aware of is 1) you can't copyright history and 2) when you only use one source, it's called plagiarism, when you use more than one, it's called "research" smile.gif

Not trying to give legal advice here, just my understanding of the situation.

I saw the ASL map. It was boards 2,3 and 4, but I don't remember the exact scenario, (defence of hill XXXX?)It was interesting to see the familiar boards in three day and "brought to life", if you will.

Los

Based on the above comments, we need to be somewhat careful. I think porting (note I avoid the word copying) the SL/ASL maps into 3D CM might spell trouble - I mean building for building and tree for tree. Right now, I do not think you can get them anywhere without buying the boardgames. Direct porting of OOBs (squad for squad)

is another trouble area. History can't be copyrighted. But what about someone's interpretation of history? I think an exact "copy" of an SL/ASL scenario is getting close to infringement. How "different" the scenario must be in CM is a very grey area. Certainly, a lot depends on how wide the distribution becomes. Keep the ported scenario off the net and among a few friends = no problem. I made a direct port of Panzer Leader's "Encirclment of Nancy" into West Front (it worked well) but never posted it to the net for the reasons above. I read on some message board (was it email?) about a guy that was contacted by Avalon Hill and told to stop posting ported scenarios of

some (dont remember the details) game.

He stopped.

Food for thought.

Guest WildBill

Having had some experience in these areas, my personal opinion is that as long as you are doing this for your own personal gaming pleasure, there is no problem.

And even if you share it with others via some sort of scenario depot, as long as you are not making money on your work, it is also permissible.

I honestly don't think most gaming companies are going to track you down and take you to court simply because you recreated a scenario for personal or mutual gaming pleasure.

------------------

Wild Bill Wilder

Wild Bill's Raiders

Director of Scenario Design, The Gamers Net

http://wbr.thegamers.net

Guest Big Time Software

I think the scenario was Bucholtz Station (or something like that).

As for Wild Bill's thoughts, I think they are bang on. Provided you steer clear of the stuff Leland mentioned (i.e. the text) you should be fine.

Steve

Thanks for the tip Wild Bill.

Money is the key (and root) of all evil.

I might add that lavish credits should be given to the designers of ported (copied) scenarios. We should pledge not to make a thin dime off another's hard work.

- Kevin