The Goliath

I remember as a kid buying a model kit of a German weapon which I think was called Goliath. It looked like a miniature wire controlled tank packed with explosives. Supposedly, engineers would use it to destroy bunkers. Anyone ever hear of this?

and NO, I am not implying that it should be modelled in Combat Mission. smile.gif

BTW - Is calling a miniature tank Goliath the only known example of the German Army showing a sense of humor?

[This message has been edited by bazooka10165 (edited 03-31-2000).]

[This message has been edited by bazooka10165 (edited 03-31-2000).]

Heard of it.I believe it was used against tanks,mostly.They'd just drive it under a Tank and press the button.I think that some

were used on D-Day,but i'm not too shure.

(Seen D-Day pictures of U.s. Engineers playing with them,riding on them!)

may be a companion to the Maus in the sense of humor department!

------------------

It is no disgrace to be defeated...It is a disgrace to be surprised.

-attr.to Fredrick the Great-

They were primarily used by Germans on the Atlantic Wall. In Paul Carell's book on D-day, he indicates that most didn't work because debris and water thrown about by the Allied bombardment fouled up the machinery. He does relate one story (apocryphal or not I don't know) in which curious GI's place a grenade inside of one. eek.gif Needless to say, it was a rude awakening for the entire squad.

------------------

Rob Varak

Editor

Site on Sound: The Web's Premier Site For Musical Discussion

www.siteonsound.com

Guest Big Time Software

There were several types. The Goliath was the smallest one and can be seen at The Tank Museum at Bovington Camp in England. Cute little bugger wink.gif Another was called the Springer. This was much bigger and could actually be ridden on by the engineer.

By and large these were supposed to be used for taking out fixed foritifications. The idea came up due to the experiences on the Eastern Front. I think it was a good idea in theory, but since the Germans were on the defensive by the time they came into service the point of them was altered to be a semi offensive weapon. They weren't good for that at all. Thinly armored and realitively slow, they were easy to pick off.

Yes, there were large numbers in the West. The original concept, I think, was to drive them at landing craft or tanks parked on the sand. But for a variety of reasons, this didn't work out at all. There were hundreds of these buggers in the West (might have even topped a thousand), but I have never once read about a successful use. I am sure it happened a few times, but percentage wise they have to be looked at as a disaster.

There is a funny picture of some GIs playing around with one. A soldier sat on it while another one drove him around. Looked like fun, but not if the TNT was still under his butt! "Hey Sarge, what does this red button do?" smile.gif

Steve

I thought that they were called Goliath after the Goliath beetle. They were for clearing minefields and bunkers and such.

These are "teleoperated" weapons in todays lingo. I think a good weapon would have been to make it a little larger and bullet proof and mount a flame thrower.

Lewis