So what about the other AFVs in CM?

All that seems to be discussed are the biggest/heaviest tanks. How are the other AFVs in the game? What about infantry? Any comments on the different types of infantry & their nationalities?

Tiger with no CM after 8 days in the US frown.gif

I've found that people tend to gravitate toward the heavier, latest, strongest units.

In five games I had to fight hand-to-hand against German paratroop squads in 3 games out of five, so people are looking at the point values and the strengths of the different units and they pick those with the biggest punch.

In a way this mimics what happened during the war -- tanks got heavier, infantry became better equipped, because the opponent was doing the same.

Problem is that people pick the strongest units first, every time, so after a while they lose some of the benefits of the game I think.

I did notice that in one game, the SS took no prisoners -- they eliminated every single unit that they overpowered. This is probably historically accurate.

I've had two US Paratrooper squads go beserk just like in ASL -- they rushed a roadblock and were totally wiped out by an HMG position right on the other side of the barricade.

This is a great game!

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ash:

Its a trend. In every game people drift (flock is more like it) to the biggest bestest gun they can find.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is one more reason why I prefer solitaire QBs. I can keep things on a more historical level. Computer gamers in general, not just CM players, seem to go for steroids in a big way.

Michael

I think every AFV has an application at which it excels. One of my favorites is the Sherman 105. Oh, baby! This infantry sweeper will decimate soft targets and with it's HEAT rounds take out most armor threats. And because HEAT is not dependent on kinetic energy to kill you can stand off and plink. It's turret is fast, it moves quick, it can carry a squad. Need I go on? I also have a love for most light tanks. I really like the Stuart. My last escapade that involved a Stuart had me running it up behind a Panther in a city and shoving a little 37mm pill up it's tailpipe! That brought a smile to my face.

------------------

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence." -Sun Tzu, The Art Of War

Okay, who has ever actually used a Hotchkiss? Haven't got that far personally. =)

I think battles with large, weak forces are great. The outcome is never so sudden as with small elite forces. For example, if you're playing with a couple of Tigers and some infantry, and your Tigers buy it, you're basically screwed.

The other day I did a test battle with an Elite Panther against a Regular Comet, two Challengers, two Cromwells and two Sherman Vs. The very first shot my tanks fired, by one of the Challengers, penetrated the Panther's turret and killed the commander (at pretty long range too). That single fluke shot meant the Panther was now crippled, but he still killed off both Challengers and the Comet before I outflanked him with the Shermans.

Best not to put all your eggs in one basket.

David

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ash:

Its a trend. In every game people drift (flock is more like it) to the biggest bestest gun they can find.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, the best bang for the buck is in heavy beasts.

Feels to me, there's not enought price difference betveen

light and heavy vehicles.

Oh, I've used hotchkiss, but only against AI. It's an excellent

AC killer.

------------------

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of

our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

Guest *Captain Foobar*

I like using some small stuff...ESPECIALLY as axis..... If I can kill that firefly with a hidden 75mm halftrack, or a puma, why spend the big bucks on an UberTank?

Big heavy slow stuff is overrated

I have not encountered the problem of QB PBEM opponents picking ridiculous weaponry.

Heck, I just finished a game where I had a Green US infantry company, a green US Heavy weapons company, and a 105mm howitzer. I think my men acquitted themselves nicely.

The best thing about the force was that it was under 1000 points! A pile of MGs and bazookas and a bunch of extra HQs. Unfortunately, the PBEM had to end prematurely, but it was still fun.

Jason

Guest Heinz 25th PzReg

Hey Cybeq

rolleyes.gif

Don't you think its strange that you have the same quote from Sun Tzu's "The Art of War" as I have? I handpicked that line from the book, and I think its strange that you would pick out the same sentence as I did. Or maybe we have a telepathic link or something?

In what chapter did you find this sentence?

wink.gif

Regards,

Heinz

------------------

"To subdue your enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence." - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Visit my AAR site:

home.online.no/~andhess/cm/

Hetzer!

This beautiful little tankdestroyer can do wonders any day. And its so cheap its almost gamey to use it or maybe its criminal not tobuy it. 85 points is nothing for what you get... its very small, good AP and AT capability and its sloped armour is enough to defeat almost anything the allies can put agains it.

Disadvantages? No turret. But thats all. If you have to choose between having one Panter or one Hetzer and one smg-platoon AND still having points left I think the choice is easy. Or maybe two Hetzers if you think thats better How can you loose?

Or maybe its just that it suits my usually defensive playingstyle? You tell me.

/Kristian