Now the demo works on my comp (133Mhz)and I am having fun trying it out, although the slow speed frustrates me to death. You are correct - I actually fell out of my seat when I saw the Hellcat (or tank with similar name) rushing down the hill. The only problem the that when I ordered my units to ambush at 40m away but they opened fire at enemy at 150 - 200 meters away!!! Also my tanks always falls behind my men cos they have to move around the trees. (Even reversing with their back toward enemy flak guns!!!) I have also millions of other questions so I will have to use the search function to save you trouble of answering them. smile.gif But please answer my question about the ambush and slow tanks. Many thanks.

General

Congragulations Patton and welcome to the addiction wink.gif.

Ambushes: That's mostly a beta demo thing. It is seven months old and the thousands of hours of "testing" (aka gameplaying and PBEM matches) by beta testers and feedback by beta demo players have resulted in lots and lots of tweaks to various things. Effectiveness of ambushes has changed totally. In a recent game I had a 1944 Wehrmacht Rifle Squad hiding in some woods less than 50 metres from a 1944 pattern US infantry squad for about 90 seconds without being spotted and without triggering my ambush. Then, when I got tired waiting I let rip into their flank hehe wink.gif.

Tanks: You must be ordering the tanks to move THROUGH the woods or something for them to take obstacle avoidance action. In CM tanks cannot move through the woods. Keep them to open terrain, road and scattered trees only for now.

LOL Patton.. your in trouble now. CM will now haunt your every moment. As for your Tanks and woods. Fionn is correct (as usual) they can not move through woods. If you want to hug a tree line you'll need to plot a lot of waypoints to guide them around the trees. Just takes a little practice. You can move through scattered trees, but remember that there is always a chance your AFV will become immobilized or throw a track.

As far as your proplem ambushing. Are you ordering your troops to hide before setting up the ambush? If so that is your problem. You need to set the ambush, and then Hide your troops.

Welcome aboard!

TTFN

Lorak

------------------

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

[This message has been edited by Lorak (edited 05-02-2000).]

Damn, I did not hide my men before ambushing. :P Also I did ordererd my tanks to go through the woods. Those tank commander must have thought that I am crazy to tell them to knock down the trees. smile.gif Many thanks for answering my questions. smile.gif O by the way, is anyone up for a game with me? I only play email games with one turn per day as I am working during day and can only play for a few hours at night. Also I would like to play with someone in different time zone (I live in South Africa and can play anyone who lives in USA or Australia or England)

Cheerio

General

Gold demo? New better demo than the beta one? Well, I hope it runs on my 133 MHz comp. I'll wait for that demo before playing someone beside my friend. My friend and I are still playing 3 games - each one turn per day. I am doing the second turn today. smile.gif Wish me luck. wink.gif

Cheerio

General

PS. How do I kill the tiger tank with my men if all anti-tank equipment is either out of ammo or destroyed?

Guest Schuggerbaby

PS. How do I kill the tiger tank with my men if all anti-tank equipment is either out of ammo or destroyed?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schuggerbaby:

PS. How do I kill the tiger tank with my men if all anti-tank equipment is either out of ammo or destroyed?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In Last Defence you have to wait until your reinforcements arrive ( Three Hellcat Tank destroyers), until then, TAKE COVER!

When I play LD against the AI, I don't show my face at all until the TDs show up. I do use the mortars to ping as many of the HTs as possible, but I lay real low until the big guns show up... hoping that the Tiger and StuGs will be in a bad position when the cavalry shows up on the hill... now it's a different story if (as occasionally happens) I lose all 3 of my TDs in one or two turns... yikes wink.gif

But those TDs are destroyed (I did destroy those Stugs) but the Tiger tank is still up but it is immoble (it had not moved since being hit by one of the TDs) and the tank is surrounded by the little mens and two machine guns. I have withdrawn my men deeper into the town and waited for the enemy men to come closer, but the AI did not tell them to advance. Seems that the Tiger tank is more importance than the town??? There were a few attack by so few platoons but they were driven out easily, but my ammo is starting to run low. :P Seven more turns to go and I hope that there will more no more attacks or too little attacks that can be driven out.

Cheerio

General

PS. How do I update my profile?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by General_Patton:

PS. How do I update my profile?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

General,

Scroll to the top of this thread. Just below the "post new topic" on the right side there is "profile", go there, follow the instructions,

bada boom, bada bing, you're done smile.gif

Make sure to include as much info as possible.The more we know about you, the easier it is for Fionn to find and "convert" you into one of "us". Trust me, it's painless. Just ask Newguy wink.gif

Well, I have updated my profile to include me email address. smile.gif I have finished the game Last Defence vs AI and there is ceasefire as there was no more attacks. Also my friend thought that the tanks cannot be destroyed - he had the Shermans charging up the road to Riesburg with infantries panting long behind. My men are in perfect positions (with exception of flak guns) to kill those tanks and wipe out those Amercians. smile.gif He also made the same mistake in Last Defence but I am worried about Tiger tank as it is hard to kill that tank without TDs. In the other game my friend has knocked out all 3 of my Stugs at cost of 2 Shermans and is mowing down my infantries, but my anti-gun infactries are closing on those last 3 tanks. smile.gif I will not get such easy treatment from rest of you smile.gif

Cheerio

General

Bastables...

Newguy is.... one of us now... Come join us... It's painless ... almost anyway....

As for poor old Patton facing the Tiger.

1. Your men have all written their last will and testament right?

2. Have them hide in the houses in the village on either side of the main road near the bridge.

3. Try to entice the Tiger into the village.

4. When he is in between all the buildings your guys are in try to rush him. I'd advise rushing him with at least two platoons if you want any chance of success.

5. 10% chance you are succesful, 90% chance you watch the few guys who survived until now being blasted apart by the Tiger.

6. Learn that infantrymen without zooks don't survive long against Tigers wink.gif

Thanks for advice smile.gif Like I said earlier that I think that the Tiger is immoblized by a shot from one of my TDs as that tank has not moved for the rest of turn. smile.gif My infantries are hiding deep in the villages holding out few infactry attacks until 30 turns are up. smile.gif Anyway in my games vs my friend it was only 4th turn and already my friend has no tanks left over. All I have to is to use my infantries in all 3 games. smile.gif I do not have to tell you anymore about that games cos Allies without any tanks are dead if I use my infantirs correctly. smile.gif When does this gold demo comes out?

Cheerio

General

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

Bastables...

Newguy is.... one of us now... Come join us... It's painless ... almost anyway....

]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That’s my problem; I believe that he has broken his programming and escaped from the village. Quick send out the ROVER!