A finer Field Manual I have NEVER seen

I've played many many games in my 12 year old hobby, and never have I come across a manual as well written and informative as the CM manual I just finished. I'm especially impressed with the designer notes that explain why certain decisions were made. I'm an engineer by profession and I'm constantly asking "why". After having read the manual, I have very few "why" questions (or any questions for that matter). It's not flashy by any stretch of the imagination, but I'll take substance over flash any day of the week.

Steve, Charles, and whoever else contributed to putting together our field manual...Job Well Done!!!!

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Thanks for the update Juardis

I too am looking forward to reading the manual from cover to cover as well.

Its nice to know it is well done and full of why's and wherefores and substance.

Perfect...

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juardis:

Steve, Charles, and whoever else contributed to putting together our field manual...Job Well Done!!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen, Juardis! Not only is it very well written and organized, but the design and layout is terrific as well. The tone of the writing is friendly, and it handles even the more obtuse discussions of armor penetration etc with aplomb. Great job!

------------------

Rob Varak

Editor

Site on Sound: The Web's Premier Site For Musical Discussion

www.siteonsound.com

Guest Big Time Software

Thanks guys! One compliment I saw about the manual really hits at the reason why it is good:

"the manual reads like it was written by gamers"

In other words, it was written with a deep understanding about what info the gamer wants, how it should be explained, and what possible extras might be needed. Many manuals are often written to explain how to click on such and such, but not much more than that. I think we all can think of examples like that smile.gif

Thanks go out to "Moon" more than any. He wrote the bulk of the manual, which is not bad for a guy who learned English as a 3rd language smile.gif Charles did most of the editing and fact checking, while I did the bulk of the formating and the layout. Fortunately, Moon handed off the manual in a very well thought out form so it wasn't too hard to make it into what you see (or will see smile.gif) before you.

Thanks!

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 06-22-2000).]

So, I'm guessing that when Moon asked for our (the CM forum) input into what we wanted to see in the manual around Christmas he was asking for himself?

I hope he found our comments useful.

But I guess I wouldn't know as I don't have the game yet. frown.gif

Jason

------------------

Betas available to everyone are just publicity stunts anyways. -FK

On a related note, Moon, I love the tactics section on your site. It looks great and is very informative. Will you be posting here when you get more of the tactics done?

------------------

Questions, comments, arguments, refutations, criticisms, and/or sea stories?