pbem people. (hope thats right.)

Well, if Fionn can throw in Irish-based comments, then I think it fair to offer my Visayan well wishes to you & Lorak, Sarah.

Lorak---Naglaum ako nga anaa ka sa maayong kahimtang.

Komusta kaninyong tanan.

Ed

Hey, Sara,

Please keep us posted on Larry's progress. ... Hopefully, he'll be able to do that soon.

Hey, Sara, have you checked out the game yet? smile.gif

------------------

I'm drinkin' wine, I'm eatin' cheese and catching some rays, you know. — Oddball

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited 05-13-2000).]

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings People.

I'd like to thank you all for your kind words. Thanks alot.

As for your questions.. Yes my wife is a wonderful person who puts up with my addiction (most of the time) wink.gif

I think she puts up with it for the sole reason that she knows what my "hobbies" were like before we met.

As for my "vacation". I learned 3 very important things.

1) seat belts really work!! (without them I'm sure I would have missed the Gold)

2) Chest tubes hurt like hell!! avoid these at all cost.

3) I really, really need a laptop. Or at least to get into accidents close to home.

Thanks again.

Lorak

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lorak:

Greetings People.

I'd like to thank you all for your kind words. Thanks alot.

As for your questions.. Yes my wife is a wonderful person who puts up with my addiction (most of the time) wink.gif

I think she puts up with it for the sole reason that she knows what my "hobbies" were like before we met.

As for my "vacation". I learned 3 very important things.

1) seat belts really work!! (without them I'm sure I would have missed the Gold)

2) Chest tubes hurt like hell!! avoid these at all cost.

3) I really, really need a laptop. Or at least to get into accidents close to home.

Thanks again.

Lorak <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome back Lorak. Any BBS where conversations occur in Irish must be a good place in Cyberspace.

Did a year in Limerick in 94-5

------------------

Andreas

It is amazing what you can learn from a good book...

Guest Babra

Well, apart from Sassanach (which I am smile.gif), I only know one other Irish word, useful for any occasion: Slainte!

Get well soon, bud. Would have chimed in sooner, but I don't read all the threads.

Sasanach? Sasanach! *splutter, laugh, cough*

Please excuse me, I just got on to this thread because Lorak tipped me a nice aside on my signature. I didn't realize the dear man had been injured, and when I did, I caught the earlier posts, and I feel the need to wave a finger in the air at the Fionn and say, 'now is that any way to talk to our...er, well, is that any way to talk?' Actually, it's not that bad, but you never see it or hear it in America, and it only means, as most probably know, 'Englishman' (roughly).

It reminds me of this story I once heard from the vocalist Andy M. Stewart:

It seems the local bus was making its way up the Isle of Skye, and filled, as usual, with the locals, who were having a bit of a Ceilidh in the back of the bus; singing, dancing, and passing the whiskey round. Everyone was involved, except the driver, who still came back during the straighter parts of the road for a quick chorus and a shot or two. After a while, the people began to notice that everyone was taking part and having a good time except for one man sitting up about the middle of the bus, looking out the window. They decided that perhaps he was shy, a bit put out, a Sasanach, in fact, that didn't feel comfortable with joining in because everyone was speaking The Gaelic. And so they deputized one of their members, who still seemed capable of carrying on a diplomatic mission in a common language, and sent him up to invite the stranger back to participate. And he went forward, and said to the stranger:

"Be welcome! And if yer minded, come back and have a bit of a Ceilidh with us! We couldn't help but notice that you were keeping to yourself, and we're thinking, we were afraid, that you were doing so because you didn't have the Gaelic, and we wanted to make you welcome."

And the man, who was indeed from England, replied: "Thank you! I wanted to come back, but I didn't like to; I didn't like to, you see, because you're right, I hadn't the Gaelic. I can't speak it at all, and I can't understand it much, just a few words here and there, if they're spoken to me clearly and slowly."

And the Scotsman told him:

"Och, don't fash yourself man! I've got a dog at home that's the same way!"

So, for his kind remark on my signature quote, as well as that general human quality that ALL on this board should take a notice of and ADHERE too (gods know, there's been some...umm...well, crap, about this), let me say Lorak, welcome back, and hope yer back welll, and come on to the back of the bus for a bit of a Ceilidh, and say hello to your own fine wife, good woman as she is, to stand by you and put up with...well, all of this.

Between true oppontents, the only measure should be, what move was made well, and honour. For the rest...well, honour hardly enters into it, and devil take the rest.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.