Can .50 cal MGs take out light/medium German armor?

Hmmm, if a Tiger can immobilize or damage a Tiger, then why wouldn't the game let my Jeeps target the Tiger? I was assuming that the reason was that the 50 cal couldn't hurt the Tiger, but now I'm confused ... as usual smile.gif Could it have been {gasp} a mistake I made? Surely not.

Joe

The .50 cals can immbolize a Tiger. I was one of those folks who set up a horde of jeeps vs. a Tiger the day I got the game... (actually, I went a little overboard, I put down 200 jeeps, and then gave the allies +150% eek.gif Man did those turns take a while...) Anyway, the Tiger did get immobolized several times in my tests, but I only ran it 6 or 7 times total..

immobilization?

Yesterday i was playing Wittman in Villers-B.

I drove past 2 house, in between was a vickers I believe (I dont think the English had a 50cal there????).

The AI turned it's VickersMG, fired a burst, and voila, Tiger immobilised.

Does anyone know the mm of a Vickers MG'gun?

Im not the one who made the spell "Ueber-Tank" but try this:

"Tiger-Fibel-Handbook" 1.8.43

In 6 hours of figthing a Tiger got 227 hits from APR-riffels (remember, at-rifles hade more punch as a heavy-mg) and 25 hits thrue Artillerie shells, with some damage on the wheels and traces, he was still able to drive 60 Km.

And back to the .50cal thing and his qualitis, the german decided, "20mm lost the ability to made mutch harm to figthers" Need to hear the stats from Allied HQ`s about the same thing and his 50.cal.

Sure the .50 could knock out sdkfz`s but i would pref. in "real" the MG 42 over the .50.

I need only to shoot at a truck, the first thing the soldiers do, is to bail out...and...

Is it realy from interrest, to see ".50 could immobil. a Tiger"?? if i sit in a jeep, i would drive elswere before i shoot with my poor mg at a tank.

Regarding the famous Tiger driver in Villers-Bocage, I too have been immobilized (on turn 2, for heaven's sake...doesn't make for much of a legend!). No spoilers, but I did find there are many .50cal mgs present amongst the British force, though they are not carried by infantry...

Hmmm..multiple hits one the same direktions... sure you can stand 3 meters in front of a tiger and try shooting 3 days on the same direktion LOL...i swear..one day you killed the tank.. wink.gif..I understand the need for guys like you to find out...what could happend with this and other guns vs. tanks..but really...did you think it exist one guy who try to shoot a tank with a MG?? its like, come on tiger im here..kill me..i love to die.. wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K_Tiger:

And back to the .50cal thing and his qualitis, the german decided, "20mm lost the ability to made mutch harm to figthers" Need to hear the stats from Allied HQ`s about the same thing and his 50.cal.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would suggest that the reference is a little flawed. By the period of the game, German fighters were more concerned with destroying Allied bombers, hence the upgunning of fighter aircraft. .50 cal worked just fine shooting down fighter aircraft as P-51's, and P47's proved.

like several others (guachi, silencer et al) already pointed out, yes, 50cals damage/kill german armor. The armor penetration of the 50cal is well over 25mm below 100m.

But the question remains - did BTS model this realistically? can the 50cal kill tanks in CM?

check the pictures below, where a StuG fell victim to my T-8 recon vehicle which has exclusively one 50cal as its armament:

50calkill1.jpg

50calkill2.jpg

no wonder, since the StuG's rear armor is a mere 20 to 30mm.

unfortunately, the StuG was revenged and the T-8 was punished on the spot by a 2cm Quad AA gun which killed my T-8 right after it had killed the StuG ...

I hope this answers the question in the subject line.

yours sincerely,

M.Hofbauer

P.S.: one thing that seems a litle odd is that while the 50cal is apparently modeled correctly by CM, it is still treated as a machine gun, so you don't get the detailed hit / kill information you would get from main gun rounds firing/hitting; the StuG simply changes from active to knocked out after being hit by the 50cal.

[This message has been edited by M Hofbauer (edited 07-30-2000).]

I had seven German halftracks run into an ambush of four bazookas, but I was most impressed with the .50cal that was providing anti-infantry support rack up three SPW250 kills at <75m range.

The .50 cal is a weapon to be feared because the Allies put the damned thing on just about every vehicle.

Jason

I've had great luck with the .50 cal taking out german light armor (HTs and ACs). I've generally had trouble doing the same to US HTs with the MG42, but in a recent scenario have managed to do it a couple of times. You just have to be unpleasantly close in order to do it. If you can set up a nice ambush it works very well.

Hi Hofbauer...

r you sure about the 25mm?? must be nearly the same PP like the 20mm Gun... and 25mm US-Steel or the ones what the germans hade in use?

I must ask everytime...cause i didnt read any war storys abaut a immobilized or may destroyed tank thrue a .50 cal

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by guachi:

I had seven German halftracks run into an ambush of four bazookas, but I was most impressed with the .50cal that was providing anti-infantry support rack up three SPW250 kills at <75m range.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had a QB the other night where the AI took 21 halftracks (19 251/1 and 2 251/3). One elite .50 team took out ten of them, and six of those were within two turns while I was beating back the AI's primary attack. Nice shootin', Tex.