Pbem suggestion.

Barb

Turn1: Player A and player B gives orders. B makes the movie of turn 1

Turn2: Player A watches the movie of turn1, and gives orders, then player B watches the movie for turn 1 and gives orders, and makes the movie.

Turn3: ...

I don't know if I am stupid or something, but wouldn't this work? Reducing the posts per turn to 2. And if I am proved stupid, don't make this a dedicated-for-me cesspool...

You are not stupid...but your suggestion will not work.

Player A makes move and sends to B

Player B Makes move and sends to A

A watches movie sends to B

B watches Movie and makes move for turn 2. Sends to A

Both players must receive each other's move before movie is seen. I had read somewhere this was to prevent any kind of "hacking or cheating". I can live with that. And besides the system as is works just fine. I live by the rule "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

------------------

Webmaster

http://www.trailblazersww2.org

http://www.vmfa251.org

Could someone give me a more specific answer why this wouldn't work?

In the system I suggested B has both orders and makes the movie (but doesn't play it jet, no way to cheat). Then A watches the movie, which isn't made by player A, so he can't cheat. And if B could play the movie from A's file (and so he could make the movie and turns as many times as he wants), why couldn't he do so also now? I don't get it...

I must be missing some point here, because if this system would work, it surely would be used... But I want to know what is the point I am missing. Is there a thread in which this has been talked earlier?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Barb:

Could someone give me a more specific answer why this wouldn't work?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you do two posts per turn all the computation of results happens on the same computer. Write it out and see. Some nefarious person could then conceivably hack their copy of CM, and cheat every turn. With three per turn, you could only cheat on half the turns smile.gif.

[This message has been edited by chrisl (edited 09-15-2000).]

jshandorf:

You wouldn't be able to watch the movie you make, as it is now

chrisl:

Yeah, I know. Half cheating doesn't count biggrin.gif

But if you could hack the code, why couldn't you hack it also so, that you could bypass the password check, and so you could cheat a lot, which would result in the legendary die-a-lot situation...

I think it would work OK in principle but would involve some recoding.

Player A sends an unseen movie to player B. After watching the movie, player B inputs his next order set then sends effectively two files back to player A: the movie and the next command turn. Player A watches the movie, inputs his orders, processes the next movie and sends it to player B without seeing it.

The difference to the current system is that every turn each of the players would watch a movie AND issues orders.

chrisl is correct that all movie generation is done on the same computer but so what?

Joe

Guest Scott Clinton

I am with Neutral Party. This sounds like the best method I have seen. It would make the PBEM sequence 1/3 faster AFAIK. (Not that all of this hasn't been covered several times before...)

And if (for some unknown reason) simply having the same player GENERATE the movies each turn is not desired...have them switch ever 5 or 10 turns. The improvement would still be substantial IMHO.

Hopefully we will see this type of change included with the TCP/IP patch.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 09-15-2000).]

I suggested this same thing a good while ago.

(don't ask what thread)

If I remember correctly, I got an "official" no.

The reason was the same player generating everything.

------------------

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of

our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jshandorf:

If you can do your orders, create the movie AND watch it if you didn't like what happened you could just do your orders all over again and generate another movie until it goes the way you want.

That would be cheating. Okay?

Jeff<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did I miss something here?

This fellow already explained why the PBEM sequence is the way it is. It stops the loading of multiple turns. I would not even use the PBEM feature if it was not coded the way it is now.

Thanks for the replies! But, because I am a junior member, I am supposed to ask: I still can't see a reason why not to use "my" system? If one can cheat half of the turns, that is enough. (the only system that I see as a secure one, is that both players send their movies to a dedicated server)

Sorry if this seems like a start for a flame war, which is not my intention. And sorry for my poor english.