TCP/IP hazards...

If I install the patch but don't utilize the TCPIP feature, do I negate some of the risk of using a possibly buggy patch, or should I just wait until the final version comes out. I want the tweaks and fixes, but don't wanna risk losing what's on my hard drive just for tcp/ip.

------------------

"I'm the Quarterback. I make the plays. You back the plays I make." -Harvey Keitel to his adopted son in the movie "Dusk til Dawn" (about 3 hours before they're both ripped apart and eaten alive by vampires)

I haven't used the TCP/IP feature yet, but on my system at least, this patch seems to actually be more stable than 1.05. With 1.05, my computer would crash every five minutes or so. I just played through a 15-turn QB in about 45 minutes with the beta patch, and it ran like a champ.

------------------

Grand Poobah of the fresh fire of Heh.

Works excellently for me too. I still have a hard time pulling the wool over the AI's virtual eyes, and have yet to play a PBEM or TCP/IP(although negotiations are under way)

So I play the AI and dowloaded the patch so that I could take advantage of the gameplay updates.

And they work great, as far as I can tell:

I played a tiny scenario this morning before work (name of scenario not included deliberately. email me if you REALLY want to know) as the defending germans in a town and won a tactical victory.

I thought the british performed very well indeed. They picked one flank to concentrate their attack and advanced over some tricky open ground towards my men who were hidden in heavy buildings.

I was waiting for the brits to reach some very close open ground before opening up with my machine guns, but I wanted the british tanks to get distracted so that I could cut the infantry to bits without getting shelled by the tanks. (I was using what was described to me once as the german tactics for defending a village -- let the attackers get inside the first line or two of houses and then hit them. this may, in fact, not be german tactics, but it seems to work sometimes, while holding the outskirts of the village and opening fire at long range seems like waving a flag to say HERE I AM and is a good way to get shelled and DF'd to mush)

so i lurked, trying to draw the brits into a trap.

But the british tanks (both smart and aggresive!!) supported the infantry very well, and pounded my ambushing squads including my only schrek to bits.

The remnants fled backwards and the british were (smartly and aggressively enveloping me on one side and pressing hard on the center when I ambushed their last tank and started, I think, to turn the tide with the 3 platoons and mgs I held in reserve. Also my TD was still active and shelling the crap out of anything it could see. Good lad.

Then the game ended. It was an Axis tactical victory, but when i looked at the map and saw who had what left, I think it was still anyone's game.

So, I think the patch works great, and I have high praise for the AI and the designers.

Forward to Victory and Stuff,

Terence

I'm not really worried that the tweaks work and all, it's just that, as MadMatt warns in his read me, this patch hasn't been completely tested and probably shouldn't be used on a computer with important information on it. I play at work usually, so I can't really imagine explaining to my boss why the G4's hard drive has frozen just 'cause I wanted to play games. I assume the only iffy bits are with the TCP/IP, so I was just wondering if I installed the patch and didn't use TCP/IP, would I be lessening a risk that, otherwise, I can't afford to take.

------------------

"I'm the Quarterback. I make the plays. You back the plays I make." -Harvey Keitel to his adopted son in the movie "Dusk til Dawn" (about 3 hours before they're both ripped apart and eaten alive by vampires)

I think the disclaimer's just typical cover yr. ass legalese. The patch has been in internal testing for a week or more, and the game is programmed on G4s, so I'd imagine any serious crashing bugs have been hammered out, if there were any to begin with.

------------------

Grand Poobah of the fresh fire of Heh.

Guest Madmatt

Actually that disclaimer is pretty much the same as any software package carries. It is as said above, a neccesary CYA issue.

The games inherient stability is as good or exceeds what it was before. With over 50 new tweaks, bug fixes and enhancements over and beyond TCP/IP play, I would think you would want to go ahead and upgrade. But we leave the choice to you.

Madmatt

I don't think you will be running any extra risk to your HD by playing with the patch (vs AI) than you would otherwise.

Even though the game is supposed to run slightly slower due to debug stuff (which I don't understand) it seemed to work spectacularly well during my one and only TCP/IP game so far.

EDIT: Damn you MadMatt for your "official" reply right before my inane babbling...

Oh well, my advice may not have been that trust-able anyhoo, considering I'm now off to fix my car with a hammer and some duct tape...

[This message has been edited by Mr. Clark (edited 11-29-2000).]

okeedokee. You guys win. I'm installing the new patch as we spe...-*crash* biggrin.gif

------------------