Two things I would like to see in CM+

I was wondering if we could have some kind of time device to help us plan things. What I mean is to be able to delay an action a few second while waiting for an artillery barrage to fall for instance.

In one of my PBEM I wanted an 81mm mortar barrage falling on a tank formation and at the same time that my StuG would start rolling. But when I plotted the move it said Pause 13sec and barrage artillery in 34 sec. I thought it could be OK but it wasn't. The intended move was to have my StuG facing the Shermans when the arty shells were falling but not after a minute or so but rather just a few second after the first shell would have hit the ground. Thus having achieved the most surprise and I could have hit the tank at the worst possible moment. The TC getting in his tank and the crew wondering what is happening. It might not last long in real life, 1-2 sec or so but it might have given me an edge. If I could have delayed the StuG just a few seconds. Or give the TC an order such as : as soon as shells drop from the sky move and kill the tank.

(I hope I made myself clear because I don't know how to explain this. Sorry for it)

Second : It would be nice, when plotting a move, to know how many turns it takes to get there. It could help to launch an attack without delay and with all of our forces there in the same time.

I don't know if those two things are by any way realistic at all. I doubt it though. But it would help greatly (for the second) and add another features for planing (for the first idea)

Thanks for reading it.

BTS rules !

------------------

Veni, vidi, vici

Julius Caesar

Guest Rollstoy

Did you consider to use the "Pause" commando on your StuG? You can delay any action in 10 second increments this way, if I recall correctly!

Regards,

Thomm

----------------------

Prae orderavi ergo sum

OK

Hi Jeff

I would like to take issue with this one.

It think this mind set is a hold over from a 2D board game. With out over reacting to this one I feel if you play CM you will find over a few scenarios that getting a "feel" for what moves where and how fast it can get will develop. I strongly dissagree with the need for any information pertaining to how long it will take for a unit to get where they are going. I think that the way movement is simtulated in in 1 minute increments is EXTREMELY well modelled. I think is it part of the fog of war FOW that you SHOULD not know how long it takes get there or when it will arrive.

Movement the way it is works just fine IMHO

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff:

Second : It would be nice, when plotting a move, to know how many turns it takes to get there. It could help to launch an attack without delay and with all of our forces there in the same time.

Thanks for reading it.

BTS rules !

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff,

Best I can recall. These 2 suggestions have been discussed before. And answer to both was no. Primary reasoning behind this as I remember it was that having info such as how many turns it might take to get somewhere is way too much info to have. In other words, you wouldn't have this kind of info in real life telling you it is going to take exactly 3 minutes (turns) to get from A to B. As for coordinating attacks. You need to learn how to do that on your own. Having crutchs built into the game to provide this kind of coordination is also quite unrealistic. Talk to anyone that has been in a real combat situation (I for one havn't) and they are highly likely to tell you that trying to coordinate something like what you've described in your message is very difficult, if not outright impossible in most cases in real life. Even if these guys could be in such close communication to try and pull something like this off there are always other factors that come into play that muck things up.

Bottom line is that I don't think there is a need to have either of these features in the game. You as the commander already have way more control over the situation than what you would have in real life. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Mike D

aka Mikester

[This message has been edited by Mikester (edited 05-31-2000).]

HI Mike

I agree I find that we usually see most things about this game from the same perspective.

Is there any chance you recall that thread that was entitled something like "tweaks you think CM needs?" I think we both made posts and contributions to that thread and I'm wondering where it went.

any idea?

-tom w

There's an article on using TACOPS for training by the Canadian Army here: http://www.battlefront.com/resources/tacops/HQ/files/TacOpsCF.pdf

Here is a brief quote from that informative article:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Allow the simulation to run for approximately three one-minute turns

between periods when the commanders are permitted to issue orders.

This can be modified according to the pace of the battle and to allow

indirect fire requests and adjustment to be processed during that period.

The intent of this measure is to force the commander to plan ahead and

live with the decisions rather than being ieon the radiolo every minute.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The experts think we have more than enough control. That's good enough for me. smile.gif

Hello Jeff,

The Pause command will delay your units order execution in 15 second increments. So if you hit pause twice you get a 30 second delay. You can use this to get a closer response time for different units assigned to the same mission.

However, you must take into consideration alot of other factors when determining unit response times. For instance...

1) unit morale

2) unit experience

3) command radius

4) terrain

All these things will effect a units response time. It is tricky to get units of different commands (Stugs and offboard arty) to coordinate together, not impossible, just tricky.

I hope this helps smile.gif

------------------

"I do like to see the arms and legs fly"

tom w,

I'm not sure what happened to that one. Maybe it got lost in the server problems over the weekend????

Jeff,

Trying doing a search on the following previous post topics:

1) movement

2) suggestion of additional features to be in or to be patched later

3) new features i would like to see added

4) coordinating movement

There were others, but I can't find them right now. Reading these though should give you a pretty good idea why this kind of stuff isn't in the game.

Mikester out.

Thanks to all of you ! It has been very helpful ! I did not know the Pause command and I will definitely use it in my games.

Thank you for your opinions and don't worry no harm done ! wink.gif