Sherman Variants

I've ordered the darn thing and am so eager to play it that I can't stop thinking about what scenarios I might concoct. My favourite piece of armour despite all its limitations was the Sherman tank. So I have a few questions about Shermans in the game.

Do they have the T-34 Rocket Sherman implemented for indirect fire support? Or the Crab for clearing mines and obstacles (like barbed wire) - do they have mines and obstacles? How about the flame-throwing Shermans which were used to assault bunkers? Do they have the Firefly for anti-tank use for the British and Canadian armies?

Is the faster turret traverse of the Shermans modelled in the game? This was the main factor that allowed it to compete against the more sophisticated German tanks - the Sherman often got up to 3 shots off before the Germans could even bring their gun to bear. Particularly with the Firefly which had the power to puch through the heavy German armour - it often recorded kills without seeing return fire.

Thanks for any help.

Ken.

Fireflys are in, as far as i know the funnies are not. Neither is the rocket Sherman, in fact IIRC there are no on-board rocket batteries, mounted or otherwise.

I don't remember seeing a flame Sherman, but there is a Churchill croc and a few other flamers.

------------------

The dead know only one thing - it is better to be alive

Most of the common versions of Shermans are in the game. Unfortunately, none of the "specials" (DD, Crab, flame, caliope, etc.) are modeled.

The turret speed is definitely modeled! smile.gif

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

Guest Mirage2k

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Is the faster turret traverse of the Shermans modelled in the game?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes.

-Andrew

------------------

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!

Thanks for the replies guys. That makes me even more desperate to get my hands on this thing and start setting up some awesome battles.

Shame about the rocket Shermans - what a great effect that would have been - having them bombard an area from the edge of a tile! That said, I guess the tiles are smaller than their distance usually was. I've only played the demo so far, but I guess the rocket Shermans would've been off-board in those scenarios.

Still, I would love to see those rockets firing out in a barrage to hit some choice target!

Ken.

Flame Sherman?

Are you guys talking about Churchill Crocodile?

Am I missing something fun?

------------------

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of

our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

Howard,

I don't know what they are like in the game, but then these guys have done their research!

The Sherman flamers that entered production as main-armament flame throwers carried 1100 L of fuel (a Napalm derrivative) in the hull floor and below the turret basket and these were extremely vulnerable.

Once they saw a demonstration of the British crocodile (designed to be towed by a Churchill or Cromwell), they ordered 100 units for delivery, but only four I believe actually got converted over into crocodiles. (these were used by the 739th Tank Battalion to great effect) So if there's a US M4 croc. in the game, there should be a limit of four in any scenario! This system would make the tank no more vulnerable than any other M4 variant save that the fuel could be destroyed.

Hope this helps and please correct me if I'm wrong!

Ken.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

Flame Sherman?

Are you guys talking about Churchill Crocodile?

Am I missing something fun?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sherman Crocodile, man! And yes, you are.... smile.gif

------------------

It's a mother-beautiful bridge and it's gonna be THERE.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Formerly Babra:

Sherman Crocodile, man! And yes, you are.... smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh my! Now where was that pretty thing hiding? I can't believe

I never noticed it! Well, actually I can. So many neat vehicles

around it.

Someone is in for a surprise at a PBEM game. smile.gif