Mods for dummies

Axis

Axis, to start out, go tohttp://combathq.thegamers.net/

and follow the link to where Mad Matt has his Mod Packs. Download his Mod pack 1 and 2. The friendly neighborhood denizens will suggest the rest.

------------------

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

[This message has been edited by Hiram Sedai (edited 12-12-2000).]

Then, just get whatever mods in the 3rd Party Mods section of Combat Mission HQ (Hiram's link) look good to you. My personal favorites are the weathered Shermans, the Hetzer with foliage, and the black StuG.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

I have actually compiled a small cd with the mods i think are the best...

i made it for my friends here that play combat mission... so what im saying is: get some guy that lives near you (or at least in the same country) to put his mods on a cd and then send it to you.

but dont ask me... unless you want to send me 20 swedish crowns in an envelope with return adress and staps smile.gif

------------------

Wof, wof, wof, wof... Thats my other dog imitation.

First of all, I'd go to the Terrains Mods page and get DD's Total Foliage Pack. It'll totally transform the overall look to the game.

Then get Panzertruppen's buildings. They are the best building mods yet. Other building mods are Magua's. Either set is good, but Panzertruppen's is complete.

And then get the other assorted terrain mods there.

Then check out the high-res vehicle mods. The hi-res Shermans, both American and British mods are a must.

head over to www.gkump.com/CM

he has comparison pictured for everything so you can see what you like best!

------------------

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! -

THIS SIG FILE BELONGS TO A COMPLETE FOO.

MR T WOULDN'T BE SO KIND AS TO WRINKLE AN EYEBROW AT THIS UNFORTUNATE BEING. PLEASE OFFER HIS PARENTS AND COHABITANTS ALL SYMPATHY POSSIBLE. MAY BE CONTAGIOUS. CONTAINS ARTIFICIAL SWEETNER, INTELLIGENCE AND WIT. STAND WELL CLEAR AND LIGHT WICK. BY ORDER PETERNZ

Damn Croda. That is one funny sig!!!

must suck to be you - Hiram Sedai

Stealth, if I were you I'd go slowly and add one mod at a time and then go into the game see how your system digests that and so on. The thing is, with just 16MB of video memory your upper limit won't be that high. If you can afford a new video card, preferably one with 64MB of RAM, then that's another story. But some of the larger hi-res mods (grass sets are the most demanding) place a significantly heavier pixel load on your video card over what comes on your CD.

If you do buy a new card, I would suggest a GeForce2 GTS. These have no known conflicts and have lots of processing power. On the other hand, the new generation nVIDIA chip is just around the corner, so it might be wise to wait.

With that I mind I can tell you I just popped for a GeForce2 GTS, but my plan is to wait and see how it shakes out with this new nVIDIA chip and game software that actually is optimized for it and DirectX v8.0. If the rule of thumb holds, no such software will appear until at least next fall, and it's anyone's guess if BTS will write CMBO 2 to take advantage of much what this new technology has to offer. My guess is we won't see that sort of change until the new engine arrives, call it a couple of years down the line.

Those who doesn't have high end machines (and everybody else too..) should go and download my new high-contrast (means you can see terrain elevation easily) grass/snow mod. It has lo-res textures so game runs smoothly with lower end machines like mine. I made it to fit with DD's great trees and stuff. You should really check it out!

Screenshots: http://www.wolffi.freeservers.com/index.htm

Mod can be downloaded from CMHQ, it's in the untested mods area.

I have received only good feedback of my mod and that makes me really happy. smile.gif

-Wolf

Stealth, I'm running a lower end system than you (AMD K6 II 300mhz 64 Megs and a Voodoo 3 2000) and I'm loaded up with mods, the thing to avoid is hi-res grass and snow textures as they seem to slow things down considerably. Anything else will do fine except on huge maps and they're still playable just a little choppy.

------------------

Nicht Schiessen!!

[This message has been edited by Splinty (edited 12-13-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by THumpre:

Make sure that you pick up DeanCo's GUNMETAL interface mod, it is terrific!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks very much THumpre. One thing I'd like to say is that my interface mods are, for all intents and purposes, lo-res mods. They will not slow down your system by any appreciable amount. It's true that some of the graphics I used are slightly bigger than the original BTS versions, but we are talking a few pixels worth. In other cases I was able to make the graphics smaller, so it must work out about the same. Hi-res graphics, if I'm not mistaken, are 4 times the size of the originals, and that's why you may experience slowdowns.

------------------

DeanCo--

CM interface mods: http://mapage.cybercable.fr/deanco/