Germans find new use for historic "castle" site.

Guest Pillar

Guest Pillar

The war pretty much scared away all the tourists. Fortunately, the castle is right on a key road and contains a solid bridge over the _____ river.

The fort itself will serve as a perfect bridge defence.

Castles were believed to be almost impenetrable, invincible landmarks during the Medieval period. Smart generals would surround them and starve the inhabitants of the fortress, or use biological attacks to bring the defenders to their knees.

Your pompous General says "Bah, it's 1944, castles are a thing of the past. This will be a cakewalk. Armour forward!"

As the commander of a Rifle Company, with some small support armour and vehicles, it's your job to carry out your generals orders and break through the fortress to the other side of the river.

Let's just see if Castles are still good defensive landmarks. biggrin.gif

Reconnaissance photos below.

forestview.jpg

bridge.jpg

overview.jpg

wallview.jpg

[This message has been edited by Pillar (edited 07-09-2000).]

Guest Pillar

Yeah, it's THE castle. smile.gif

This is of course, an entirely fictional scenario.

It's playable now. There is only one small problem with it and I won't release it until it's fixed.

I suppose you could still play it PBEM though...

Guest Pillar

John,

To be completely honest, I don't know much medieval history wink.gif I just tried to render what I've seen in story books as a kid.

It would be cool if we could make circular towers and such. I guess that would mean more progamming though, and for such a frivolous purpose it's not going to happen frown.gif

Any suggestions?

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Kettler:

This is most impressive, but based on the architecture as rendered by you, what you have here in not a castle, but a Vauban pattern polygonal fortress from several hundred years after the castle period.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

John, were any of the Vaubans that rectilinear? I thought they were all star-shaped.

Michael

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pillar:

John,

To be completely honest, I don't know much medieval history wink.gif I just tried to render what I've seen in story books as a kid.

It would be cool if we could make circular towers and such. I guess that would mean more progamming though, and for such a frivolous purpose it's not going to happen frown.gif

Any suggestions?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pillar, if this is a subject you are interested in pursuing, there is a wonderful book by Ian Hogg called Fortress that covers it from about the time of the Norman conquest up until about Napoleonic times IIRC. Lots of photos and diagrams with descriptions. Until I read this book I hadn't realized what a complex subject fortification was throughout the medieval and early modern periods. Even the Romans had pretty sophisticated defensive works.

Michael

Guest Scarhead

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

John, were any of the Vaubans that rectilinear? I thought they were all star-shaped.

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

star-shape allows for overlapping fields of fire. Rectangles do not. Vauban knew that, so I bet he did not build rectangles.

Scarhead

(Born in a town who was a Vauban fortress, and there are lots of medival castles nearby)

I have a vision... the ancient spirits are talking through my mouth... oh, wait... they say... archers in towers! Ottomans with a huge siege gun! Hot oil, siege towers, ladders, fierce close combat after the wall is breached! BTS, could we please have a Medieval Combat Mission?.. the ancient spirits rest now. The oracle has spoken.

I guess a medieval CM battle would be like this: you place your units and give them initial orders, then the game processes a six-hour movie of the first turn based on those orders and tacAI improvisation. That was the only turn. Defender migh be able to give orders to his reserves a couple more times.

Guest Pillar

Have no fear XPav! You can edit the units if you like biggrin.gif

Assign yourself a sh*tload of artillery and hammer the fortress.

I couldn't fix the only problem with the map, so I'll release it anyway. The problem is that the map is oriented Axis south, Allies North. For some reason, even though I have the "Friendly sides" set properly, the default unit starting positions are east/west.

This means that with a little honour, the map is fine PBEM. However, the computer may not place all it's units in the designated zone.

I haven't done much testing.

Let me know how it goes.

Right now the map is available at www.geocities.com/adam_s_lloyd/castle.cmb

If anyone wants to put it on their site, that's fine with me. Just please drop me a quick note giving the url at moiety@hotmail.com

Enjoy! biggrin.gif

Anyone interested in the architecture of fortresses and the like (or heck just about anyone) would love a current exhibition at L'Hotel des Invalides in Paris.

It consists of 25 or so scale maps of famous battlefields and fortresses. They are simply beautiful with some of the models being 25' on a side. They are at all different scales so justice can be done to both the large battlescapes and to the more detailed fortresses.

Still and all, beautiful stuff...especially for anyone into gaming and especially for anyone else into historical miniatures...endless terrain ideas!

Best,

Onnel

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Even the Romans had pretty sophisticated defensive works.

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is quite a funny statement. I would argue that it took until at least the 19th century to reach the standards of Roman engineering in Western Europe. Until that time, some of the major roads were still the original ones put in by the legions 1800 years earlier. For similar scale public projects, the Autobahn in Germany and the Hoover Dam in the US come to mind. Roman combat engineers bridged the Rhine in about 50 BC, and we still are not quite sure how they did that.

------------------

Andreas

Guest Pillar

The mystery that is "Geocities" never ceases to amaze and elude the average computer user.

Sometimes this link is working (for me at least), sometimes it isn't.

SO, I'm just going to delete my index.html page and let you guys download off "the list".

Please let me know if it works.

Thanks very much, and please accept my appologies for all this fuss!

http://www.geocities.com/adam_s_lloyd/

Guest Pillar

Of course it's not a valid bmp file, it's a cmb file in disguise.

wink.gif

(You have to rename it, Geocities won't let me treat them like an ftp).

This would be easier if someone would just volunteer to host the damn thing. smile.gif