CM Mod Manager

The CM Mod Manager (v1.0e for PC) is available at CMHQ. Documentation is included at CMHQ on how to install it and get started using it, or even packaging your own Mods.

Any questions, just drop a message here...

[This message has been edited by TwoSheds (edited 12-26-2000).]

Just one thing. Would it be possible via a patch or something to enable the user to group select with the mouse. I like to be able to organise my mods so that I know what I have installed and when. At present with over 500 megs worth the list is quite long as you can imagine, and moving each one up or down the list is time consuming.

But thanks for all the work, this is helping a lot.

Old Dog,

One other person, during testing, had the same problem and I couldn't replicate it. What OS do you have? When you put the mouse over the Launch buttan and wait a sec for the hint to come up, what does the Hint say? Does the Hint change when you select a different EXE to Launch?

phil,

The checkboxes are to show (and pick) what Mods you have installed, the order of the list needs to only be done once and it will be remembered (with the selected status of each mod) from session to session.

Any time a new Mod is added to the Mods folder it will show up at the top of the list.

BollDogJM wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I installed the Mod Man. Did the core file thing and it reverted all graphics back to original. I then installed just a highres grass grid mod. worked fine both versions.

then I installed Tiger's wheat texture, that install went fine but my grass went back to the original? what am I doing wrong?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you select "Install" it will copy any Mods that are "checked" to Combat Mission if they are not "checked" they will not be copied. It is very important to leave the Core Files "checked" as they are the base for all Mod installs. Order is VERY important as well as all (checked) Mods are installed from the bottom of the list to the top of the list. (Both of these points are in the ReadMe Doc)

Well this all went rather sour for me. After reading the docs several times (which was a trial in itself since I couldn't read doc files from your version of Word) I still managed to get this all wrong. Since the docs don't say otherwise, I assumed that if only one mod is ticked, it would just add that one. WRONG. Actually, the manager DELETED every other texture, without warning.

I'm sure it is supposed to work this way, but some form of warning for such a drastic step would have saved me several hours of reinstallation. Since I doubt I'll be the only one to make this error, I thought it might prevent others falling into this trap if I mentioned it.

Please strongly consider adding some form of warning, in the docs at least if nothing else, about this behaviour.

I don't have the CM Mod Manager program (yet) but what if it would pop a dialog box when you ask for the changes that is a confirmation of the changes?

Example: Are you sure you want to...(and then list what it is the program is going to do).

Yes, No/Cancel

These types of dialogs can get irritating, so maybe also include a "Don't show me this dialog box again" option.

[This message has been edited by Sitting Duck (edited 12-26-2000).]

The warning and disclaimer are in as many places as I can think of. They're in the ReadMe and on the Web Page at CMHQ where the Mod Manager was d'loaded from. I'll repeat it here as well:

Note: The Combat Mission graphics and sounds are removed from the Combat Mission folders anytime a Full Install (see below) is done, so make a backup copy of your BMP and WAV folders if you don’t trust the Mod Manager.

Also in the Docs and on the Web Page:

The CM Mod Manager’s normal operation (and how it was designed) is to copy ALL the Mods you want for Combat Mission to ensure that the content of the list is synchronized with what is in the Combat Mission Folders

I hope didn't lose anything from the CM BMP and WAV folders, that you don't have copies of somewhere.

Yes, there is a dialog box to confirm whether you want to do a Full install of all selected (checked) Mods or an install of just one Mod (the one highlighted in the List), complete with OK/Cancel buttons.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TwoSheds:

Old Dog,

One other person, during testing, had the same problem and I couldn't replicate it. What OS do you have? When you put the mouse over the Launch buttan and wait a sec for the hint to come up, what does the Hint say? Does the Hint change when you select a different EXE to Launch?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am running Win 98 Rel 2. When I put the mouse over the LAUNCH button, the hint window says: "C:\CMBO\COMBAT MISSION PUBLIC BETA.EXE" but what is launched is V 1.05.

I can "fool" MM into running the beta by backing up my 1.05 and renaming the beta to "COMBAT MISSION.EXE"

- Old Dog

Excuse me for poking my nose where it doesnt belong, but, based on what I read here, why is the _Core Mods_ checkbox ever allowed to be unchecked? Seems that this should not be an option. that way the user doesnt have to be worried about losing what is already installed..

also, could you have the PC CM mod manager create a backup of the folder before proceeding? I added this into the mac mod manager after my testers reported they would like it (instead of manually doing it), and it's a nice feature to have.

I like how you have the launch CM button in your app, think I need to add that to MCM3 at some point. Good touch.

just some thoughts...

best,

dave

------------------

History is made at night

It takes a lot of extra time to copy the files for a backup, and it's always easy (once things are set up) to just uncheck the Mods you didn't want and revert back to a previous configuration.

As far as always having the "Core Mod" checked I wanted to allow users the flexibility to created their own base set of BMP's and WAV's that may be an extension of BTS's

TwoSheds,

firstly thanks for what looks like it will be a great program for managing the every growing list of mods.

I too have a some questions.

1. I am (still) unsure as to what you refer to as a 'full install', does this mean bmp, wav, etc files contained within the one zip (mod) file. OR does it mean all the mods that you have in the mod directory including the core files and bts update?

2. I gather that if you delete the core files (and BTS update) file that came with ModManager from your hard drive once you install ModManager BUT before you install ANY mods then you won't have problems as experienced by Marco Bergman with the manager reinstalling the original files due to there being no check mark next to them?

I gather Marco just wanted to install one Mod and unchecked all other entries in the screen prior to pressing the install button and this caused the manager to see that the core files button was (now) unchecked and to therefore reinstall the original bmps/wavs.

3. Probably similar to 2 above. I gather the 'core files' are not installed as default on your hard drive when you install CMBO?(although if the 'core files' are only the BMPs and WAVs then I seem to have them all on my system by default anyway).

4. it would seem that if you have a installation of CMBO with any number of mods running and then install ModManager you need to firstly move all your mods to the one directly (a pain for tracking who produced what mod, i have seperate directories for each mod author. But this will not be so bad as more people make mods using ModManager and the associated info file telling you who made it) and then (in effect) reinstall them all (via ModManager)in order to syncronise what you actually have as installed mods in CM with what ModManager thinks (says) you have installed. Then any new mod you want to install move it to the top of the list and check it's box prior to installing it BUT don't uncheck ANY other box (or as i understand it ModManager will remove/revert back to original files?).

Sorry to be so long winded but am just trying to avoid any assumptions or aambiguities.

All the best with it and looking forward to a whole swathe of mods produced using it.

Pbhawkins (capt)RAAMC

Point #4 is the most accurate point. (I'm not sure you wanted me to pick only one though). I apologize for the confusion so let me explain what a Full Install does.

For the following explanation "selected" means any Mod that has a checkmark and "highlighted" is the one (and only one) Mod that is highlighted (by clicking on it). A Mod is a Zip File with BMP and WAV files compressed in it. Also I will talk about BMP files, but this process is exactly the same for WAV files.

Full Install Sequence

1. The Combat Mission BMP folder is entirely erased.

2. Starting at the Bottom of the list and moving to the Top:

3. If the Mod is selected then

...3a. Copy all BMP files from the root of the Mod zip file to the Combat Mission BMP folder.

...3b. For any Mod Options that were selected copy the BMP files from the Option's Folder in the ZIP file to the Combat Mission BMP folder

It's that simple, but it requires all the Mods you want (and have currently) to each be in a zip file in the Mods directory. The list of Mods will now show you what Mods you have installed, and if you don't want one just uncheck it (leave all the others you want checked though!) and select Full Install and the Mod Manager will rebuild your CM BMP folder for you.

The Mod Manager's intent was not to install one Mod at a time, but there is an "Add 'Single' Mod" option to do JUST steps 3a and 3b from above. I can't gaurantee your not copying over any BMP's that are higher in the list though (Mods higher in the list should overwite Mods lower in the list). The "Add 'Single' Mod" option is not recomended though to install each of the Mods you have one at a time, Windows Explorer will be much faster if this is what you want to do.

With a Full Install the Mod Manager can track which Mods and in what order you have them installed for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by TwoSheds (edited 12-27-2000).]

I have been looking to see whether I could fully support Mod Manager for my future mods.

Unfortunately if I were to provide a fully Mod Manager compliant mod, with alternate textures having the same name but in sub-folders, it would completely break my batch system. Unless I have to issue two different versions each time for both high res and low res versions, the best I can do for future releases is to include the description and info files and a preview.

I guess a mostly compliant is better than not compliant at all.

Am I correct in assuming that Mod Manager is designed for overall control and occasional use, not something to replace the batch files on a use-every-game basis? IE Mod Manager to install new mods when they come out, batch files for daily use.

If so, then my suggestion above seems to be the best compromise. However, if I am looking at this wrongly, I am open to suggestions.

Twoshreds,

thanks for the explanation, that has helped.

Can you help clarify some issues with the 'core files CD' file.

If i delete that file from the directory on my hard drive prior to installing any mods then I assume that it won't reload the 'stock' BMPs from the CD each time you do a full install? This leads on to the following question.

If a 'full install' deletes all the files in the 'BMP directory' each time and then reinstalls them all (with updates of the (un)checked mods), will not having the 'core files CD' file create problems with missing BMP's?

So therefore there will be a lot of deleting and rewriting of the BMP directory each time a mod is installed or deleted, this will, over time, lead to defragmenting of your hard drive and a subsequent slowing down of your system (bearing in mind that this directory is 200Mb plus in size and with the volume of mods being produced)it may be an issue?.

I am thinking that perhaps (if the above are issues) I will use modmanager more as a means of previewing mods as they come out to determine if they are what i want rather than using it to install them.

Anyway, it is a great idea and is so far a very professional job in its implementation.

Thanks again

Pbhawkins Capt RAAMC

I'm out of town, so I can't reply fully to all these points right now, but Marco lets talk offline sometime about this I've been looking at your M5A1, M8, Stuart Mod to see how I can change Mod Manager to support the flexibility you have in that Mod.

If you copy the "Core Files" to the Hard Disk you can delete the "Core Files (CD)" as it is not needed any more.

Hey, I'm running into some complications when using the mod manager in conjuction with Marco's mods.

I would like to use both, so I start off with the mod manager and get this working fine. But say I want to use a specific mod that Marco has produced, I have to use the batch file to sort it out. It isn't really saving me anytime by doing this. Is there any way of combining the two things via the mod manager?

Is there an easy way to convert a non-compliant mod to compliant? Is it as simple as loading it into the Mod Maker, giving a description, etc, and then hitting Create Mod?

Or could you create the info.txt file and just add it to the zip?

------------------

Never leave your mind so open your brains fall out.