wurfrahmen

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only 16" Guns were on the Battleship Rodney (9x 16"). The 15" Warspite and Ramilles (8x 15"). The 14" Texas (10x 14"), Nevada (12x 14"?) Arkansas (8x 14'?). Plus numerous 8" and 6" cruisers, and 5" and 4.7" Destroyers. Actually, Rommel's plan of charging armour up to the beachead to destroy the enemy wasn't that practical. Kesselring tried this at Anzio, but, the guns of the fleet stopped him. The same thing would probably have happened at Normandy. Since there was only one ship armed with 16", you probably won't be seeing too much of 16" shells, plus, they won't be firing full broadsides on such a small battlefield, at least I don't think so.

Yeah, all the Iowa class battleships were in the pacific. Hmm...

Steve, is there any chance the Germans might request some help from

the Japanese in CM and get the Yamato available for fire support

in some campaigns?

18 inch battleship rounds! *shudder* smile.gif

Colin,

No. There were FOs for naval guns. How else do you think they knew where to fire?

If you really need proving I could do a little digging and give you the exact code numbers and designations of the naval units which went ashore to spot for the battleships as well as the squadrons which spotted for them wink.gif.

I really don't think that'd be necessary though hehe wink.gif. Take my word for it, they had people spot for them.

What about the monitors? HMS Roberts was one. Didn't they mount 16" guns? I'd check my books about three feet away, but I'm just home from work, cold beer in hand, and the cat is already asleep in my lap....

------------------

Floreat Jerboa !

Fionn I don't doubt you for a second. You are way more knowledgeable then I but let me explain the logic in my thinking.

With guns that big wouldn't the orders have to come from higher up then some unknown FO in a small part of Western Europe? I'm not arguing but I'm just curious. Might as well learn something from this. smile.gif

------------------

Visit my webpage!

http://cm4mac.tripod.com

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

I had the Alpha last June IIRC wink.gif

BTW that's jealousy and rage you're feeling now wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hah... Who's the jealous one when we get our copies of CM. You've already had your first time with it we still got ours ahead of us tongue.gif

erm.. can't let him get away with it without protesting at least *sigh*

Guest Madmatt

Wait a sec! I never posted the picture of one of these 'BIG GUNS' coming in?!? I guess I know what the POTD is going to be tonight!!! It's odd cause that picture is already on the server and I just KNOW I put it up already...Hmmmmmm ok, I think it was already posted but it will be in tonights POTD ARCHIVE for sure...Big crater!!! biggrin.gif

Madmatt...

ok, check out the POTD for 2-08-2000 and You will see it! That picture is in the POTD Archives section...

Full update to follow soon... give or take an hour or so! wink.gif

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 02-11-2000).]

Colin,

Methinks you mightn't understand what an FO is.. An FO is a member OF the artillery battalion whose battery he is spotting for.

Thus Royal Navy FOs were landed in Normandy who were specially trained to call in battleship-calibre guns. These FOs could call in 5 inch, 6 inch, 8 inch, 15 inch (yes there were a few monitors) and 16 inch fire ( IIRC at least one monitor had a few 16 inch guns).

FOs are attached to a particular battalion and, generally speaking can ONLY call in fire from that battalion's batteries. However, the British had a different system whereby, in theory, a single FO in the field could call for ALL the artillery in an ENTIRE CORPS if he wanted. ( we're talking a few hundred guns here wink.gif ).

Anyways, the Brits did things differently and there are cases of arty FOs calling in naval gunfire but generally speaking naval gunfire was an RN FOs job while arty was an arty FOs job.

The exceptions were less common than the rule so to speak though.

Guest Germanboy

Anyways, the Brits did things differently and there are cases of arty FOs calling in naval gunfire but generally speaking naval gunfire was an RN FOs job while arty was an arty FOs job.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fionn,

this is quite interesting, do you know how many RN observers there were (roughly)? Also, how was allocation of the few big guns prioritised? It sounds as if RN observers must have been a highly sought after bunch by front-line commanders. And I guess if you happened to be a US company commander without access to RN observers, it did not really matter what kind of a predicament you were in, b/c you would not get them anyway?

Just curious.

------------------

Andreas

Guest R Cunningham

I realize this thread has mutated into the Naval Gunnery thread.

But we've still got lots of ground to cover in the wurfrahmen area.

Much ballyhoo has been made of the unbalancing and detrimental effect these things had when they appeared in CC3 and again in CC4. Most serious gamers would agree that they didn't belong in CC mostly for reasons of scale.

But I can't think of any reason why they are inappropriate to the scale of CM. CM has the ability to more accurately reflect the limitations of these things. Requiring direct LOS, abysmal accuracy, highly vulnerable to small arms, relatively narrow range bracket.

With a max range in the neighborhood of 2kms and a minumum range somewhere around 700~750m CM should be able to handle them quite nicely.

The RN system of assigning guns to targets etc is pretty complicated.

Basically TARGETS had priorities and if an FO could establish to the satisfaction of himself and a superior or two that a high priority target was in range for directed fire then he could get x amount of guns where x was the maximum amount of guns which were allowed by doctrine to fire at such a target.

Thus, an FO looking at the schwerpunkt of a Schwere Panzer Abteilung could call down anything and everything which could shoot.

That's a very simple explanation but it contains the gist of what happened.

Mr. Cunningham... With all the liabilities you mention (to which you should add painfully long and exposed set up), why would I want one in my orbat? Leave 'em at the rear.

------------------

Floreat Jerboa !

Guest Germanboy

Basically TARGETS had priorities and if an FO could establish to the satisfaction of himself and a superior or two... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Fionn,

that was what I suspected. I can only imagine the arguments they had over wireless. I guess that a local commander or FO about to be walked over would have very different ideas about priorities than the brass.

Cheers,

Andreas

On the Wurfrahmen I'd guess that it would be more appropriate to have it as some sort of off-board arty element (in terms of CM's gameplay). But apparently it is a direct fire weapon (or more likely a "guess"-fire weapon) with no FO for it (?). This would suggest that an on-screen representation would be appropriate, but I believe it will be lumped with the other NebelWerfer weapons and not represented on-screen if I get the gist of previous posts on such weapons.