a mod to improve AI?

No, such things can not be done with a mod. That would require hacking into the source code which is of course illegal. Mods can change textures and sounds. Thats all.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

I've been patching up through 1.05 and I frankly haven't noticed any real difference in the AI's competence. As I said in a previous post, all I ask is a little tweaking to get rid of some of the really dumb stuff. Example: I'm playing a QB, American attacker against defending Germans. I'm to capture a village that has at least 4-5 two story buildings with good LOS to my avenues of approach. Where does the AI put the German arty spotter? Right up in the front line where my first attack quickly spots it and takes it out. Had the AI placed this spotter in any of those two story buildings, my reckless advance (in hindsight) would have met with some nasty arty fire.

BK6583 wrote:

> all I ask is a little tweaking to get rid of some of the really dumb stuff.

Remember that a computer can't "look" at a map and intuitively decide where units would best be placed. It has to go by a set of rules, and the results are never going to be the best possible in every situation.

Combat Mission, through being three-dimensional and non-linear, creates a whole new bunch of challenges for itself. The AI can't just put its men along a line of buildings or trees, so that you fight them at a predefined point in a predefined way - it has to 'think' about angles of attack, lines of sight, fields of fire, ranges etcetera, which is easy enough for a human, but extremely difficult for a computer.

So if anything, it's a miracle that the AI can effect an attack which is in any way comparable to that of a human. BTS have done an excellent job, and they'd love to improve the AI as much as we'd like it to be improved, but that is easier said than done.

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

Guest Rollstoy

Apart from path-finding and LOS calculations I have NO IDEA how a strategic AI like CM's (or CC's for that matter) is done.

That kind of scares me!

Maybe somebody could put up a tutorial rolleyes.gif!

Thomm

[This message has been edited by Rollstoy (edited 09-20-2000).]

Rollstoy wrote:

> Maybe somebody could put up a tutorial !

Ahh, trade secrets. Charles's Secret Formula. He'll be keeping that one close to his chest.

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

BK6583,

One solution to your disatisfaction with the AI is to play a human in a PBEM. Actually, play several PBEMs, that way you are not always waiting for your opponent's file to come. I am still accepting opponents, by the way. I keep losing mine to attrition. That and the cess pool frown.gif After you have started playing PBEMs, you will not want to go back to playing the AI. For instance, it is no fun to taunt and berate the AI when you win and to give it lame excuses when you lose smile.gif

Other than that, as has been said before, the AI is better at attacking than defending, so play defending battles against the AI. Also, it is not the optimal solution, but there mechanisms such as adding points to the AI to even things up a bit.

I have said this before I am very happy with the current AI.Its just that when i play the commputer I almost allways win. I will however praise the work of the programers who worked out such a difficult code too creat on of the best simulated AI i have ever seen. I just think that the commputer player AI could use a little uprgade too improve tactics when its trying to attack.

The AI in CM sucks.

That being said, it is as good as or better than any other AI I have ever seen in a commercial wargame.

The point is this: The problem is not simplay a matter of coding, it is with the inate difficulty of the problem. If Charles or Steve had the answer to how to make an AI that can play at the level of an semi-intelligent human being, they would have more important things to do than write video games.

Play against a human. HI will be vastly superior to AI for a long time to come.

Jeff Human

Surely an argument in favour of human cloning. How else can you find someone who is free whenever you are, and willing to play CM for as long as you want to, and doesn't charge for it?

Or how about human memory modules? You play a hotseat game against yourself, but you store all your memories for each side on a removable card. Plotting Allied moves, use card A. Plotting German moves, remove card A, forget about Allied moves. Insert card B, remember what your intentions were for the Germans.

On a side note, they say computers will soon be more complex than the human brain, but that doesn't mean you suddenly have a sentient lifeform.

David

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Heidman:

...If Charles or Steve had the answer to how to make an AI that can play at the level of an semi-intelligent human being, they would have more important things to do than write video games.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So true.... what we need, are all those computer science majors taking AI courses to enter a market that is over filled with programmers (don't know if that'll ever happen though).

Then, they'll take a low paying job at a computer game company, and program AI while Steve and Charles put the engine out. smile.gif

If computers keep up current growth though, we may never see that. biggrin.gif

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

Try playing a QB with the enemy set to assault you. And/or jack up the quality of his troops. Set Fog of War on full and fight on a city map... The AI in this game is far better than anything I've seen yet and will definitely throw you some curves...

And to the guy who said, "The AI in CM sucks", find a more effective way to argue. The only thing "straw-man" statements such as that give evidence for is the immaturity of your debate skills.

BTW -- Thanks for this game BTS!! Love it