Madmatt, CMHQ access question/solution

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Matt, could you just post the URL of the site that doesn't load the banners or is there a binding contract with TGN to show them?

BOOM---Gone!

Understood Madmatt, Fionn, that's why I asked. wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Ol' Blood & Guts (edited 04-05-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ol' Blood & Guts (edited 04-06-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

Yeah, thats sort of a gray area with that particular link. I can't MAKE you take that link down BUT eventually I am supposed to get some money from TGN from those ads so I can't condone it.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

Guest Madmatt

Ok, let me make this a little clearer as there are reprocushions (BAD ONES) to following that link. Currently I am a hosted site under the Gamers Network family of sites. I am also one of the more popular sites there due in part (I think) to my manic update schedule. Now then, when you follow the link that is posted above you bypass ALL the tracking and counting systems that TGN has in place. Your visit is no longer counted.

CMHQ is BIG! Bigger than most people think with going on 600 seperate pages of content and over 300mb of data! The inclusion of the Meta-Campaign and files and mods will make it even bigger. The kinds of resources and space I need will only, ONLY be given to me if TGN see's that my site is popular and remains so.

You use that link, you cut my throat... Simple as that AND you cost me money as I won't get paid the money owed to Fionn and I for running those damnable ads. The choice is yours, and maybe its not as bad as I make it appear, then again...Maybe it is...

Sure I could always embed the adds into every page and if I notice my stats dropping then I will do JUST that, but that will be time taken away from normal updates and the minute the fun goes out of CMHQ then it will close its doors.

I know the ads suck! They suck for me too, but they are neccesary to CMHQ being the site that it is and more importantly WHERE it is. Please remember that...

Madmatt

p.s. Old Blood n Guts, while I can't make you, I would appreciate it if you were to remove that url...Thank You

------------------

combathq.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 04-05-2000).]

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

No problem. That's what I was wondering about, if there was some sort of "business arrangement" with TGN about having to display those "damnable" banners that slow load times. smile.gif

For those of you with a PC(mac users any one know of something like this?) you can get a program Called Adsubtract Intermute from

http://www.intermute.com

This program blocks ads, animations, auto refresh, Pop-up windows, background images , background music, cookies, referrers, java script, and java applets. Each of these is selectable and also can be customized for each website you visit.

I can now load cmhq in about 5 seconds insteaqd of the 30-45 seconds it took eek.gif on my one channel isdn line (64k).

Well worth the registration price. smile.gif

Teutonic

Ps. Yea I am a member again. biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Teutonic (edited 04-05-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Teutonic (edited 04-05-2000).]

Wish I would have seen this site last year.

Looks like the intermute folks are actually using some of proxomitrons code in their program. Now I need to see what this Shonen Knife sounds like. smile.gif

Teutonic

Not a Junior member anymore

When I go tho CMHQ, I usually do it when I read a post by Madmatt that there has been an update. This means that I am also reading this forum, so I just let the page load in the background while I continue reading. That way, I don't care how long it takes CMHQ to load.

I just did a test and CMHQ loads in 15-20 seconds on my 56K.

Jason

OB&G

Please remove the instructions in your post too. It hardly does any good removing the direct link so long as the instructions on how to get it are still up there.

As for ads.

1. We are WAY over the size limit at TGN.

2. They want us to reduce the size of CMHQ.

3. THEY make money off ads and banners ( we haven't seen a penny or cent yet).

4. Our ONLY argument against a stupid size cap is that we are getting lots of visitors who are making them enough money to justify the cost of the server space we take up.

5. So, every person who visits using an ad blocker or who does like OB&G does might as well simply take a knife and turn it in CMHQ's guts because you are killing the site as surely as any hacker could.

6. I'll tell you exactly what will happen if this continues.

a) We will be told that the ad revenue doesn't pay for the server space and will be told to reduce the site size to 30 MBs ( it is currently over 300 MBs).

B) I absolutely guarantee you that the first thing I'll cut are the POTDs, ALL the AARs and MOVIES and ALL the past photo-heavy features.

c) I also absolutely guarantee you that we won't fight for extra server space once CM2 comes around since we won't be able to get the extra space if we fail this time round.

d) what does that mean for you? Well, it simply means that we won't post POTDs for CM2, CM3 etc etc during their development.

So, its a simple choice... Be prepared to wait an extra 20 or so seconds once or twice a day OR be bitching about the fact that CMHQ isn't giving you info about CM2 a couple of months down the road.

Ps. If the size limit is instituted that will spell the death-knell of the CMMC too BTW and I'll simply shut it down.

This IS serious and I'd like everyone to know that every time they visit CMHQ with an ad filter on they make it MUCH more difficult for us to continue providing CM coverage. It is your choice but if you visit with an ad filter then don't come moaning to Matt and myself if we close CMHQ down in a couple of months time due to the impossible constraints which will be forced on us ( which they're trying to force on us now as a matter of fact but which our visitorship figures are allowing us to fight against).

Your choice.

You know, someone clever enough should make a little program for us cable guys that would act like kind of a screen saver.

We are always conected to the internet. When we go to the kitchen or bathroom while our computer is on, a new window can pop up over our present window, that will cycle between the gamer's site(CMHQ) and another fast loading site.

In this way, a visit to the bathroom/ktichen can generate several hits from us cable boys smile.gifThen as soon as we are back and we move our mouse, that window gets destroyed leaving only our last window on screen.

------------------

"Don't tickle with the fingers, hit with the fist"

-Heinz Guderian

Guest Madmatt

Actually I need to do some research on HOW those ad 'filters' really work...

I KNOW for certain that the url that was originaly posted (and removed, and I thank you for that! wink.gif ) DEFFINATELY bypassed all tracking measures and hit counters and was in essence 'stealing' our site. The ad filters are still (to me at least) a grey area and Fionn and I have stated our opinion of them but like I said I will be looking into them much more so I can give an educated assesment.

What I don't want this topic to become is a flame fest, you guys have every right to modify your browser to do what you like, just be aware of the consequences that might occur.

I am working with TGN to try and either improve the speed of the banners or reduce their ammount. I am VERY aware of the pain that they are to everyone but it seems like nobodies performance on the site is the same. With my cable modem the page loads in 3 seconds, banners and all. Others with 56k modems say 15-20 seconds while still others claim 10 minutes or more. Your milage on the Internet WILL vary and ad banners are a neccesary evil in order for hosting sites like TGN and CMHQ to exist...

Madmatt

------------------

combathq.thegamers.net

Whiplash,

Let's see if you think "business is good" when you get no info at all from Matt or myself during the beta testing of CM2.

As I said, there are ramifications and I wish people wouldn't be so flippant.

FWIW CMHQ loads in about 20 seconds for me here in Ireland on a 56 Kb modem. That's pretty painless for the amount of stuff we bring you IMO.

Ps. Could you please remove the link to CMHQ that you inserted into your first post?

[This message has been edited by Fionn (edited 04-06-2000).]

Seems like a classic problem of "freedom" vs "responsibility", bottom line is that once page is loaded, I don't see the banners since I am looking at other things. So the complaint is really about time to load. (I have cable direct connect, interestingly the delay, if any is usually not with the banners, but the content output from TGN) But as has been pointed out, your claims of freedom can (may and will) kill that what you treasure most.

The fact of the matter is, despite what we might pretend oterwise is that it costs $$$ to do the internet, $$ makes the world turn from the earliest days of I'll give you that cowerie shell for a stone axe you made.

Like it or not that's the way it is. Frankly it could, and may get alot worse, so listen to madmatt and fionn esp. he's told you what triage he'll have to do. So don't kevtch if he has to do it. The great danger is "standing on principle. How many noble stands in history have been made, without compromise? How many of those were ultimately successful? Not many baby.

Think about it, do you want CMHQ or not, your choice.

[This message has been edited by jdmorse (edited 04-06-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Username:

I like the "catch the monkey and win 20 bucks" ads. I think they give websites a bit of class.

Lewis<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And don't think I haven't tried to either! wink.gif That little simian manages to just move outa the way of my cursor EVERY TIME! I think it may be fixed! frown.gif

Madmatt

------------------

combathq.thegamers.net

Guest Madmatt

What?!? Tell me what!?! I almost got the little mutha now! I increased the size of my cursor to 200x200 pixels and there is no way he can hide now! tongue.gif

Madmatt

------------------

combathq.thegamers.net

It was my understanding with the ad blocking software that it was telling the sending computer that you had recieved it so it would stop sending it. I Went back to the intermute sight but it doesn't say specificaly how it is blocking the add. Intermute works by becoming a proxy server and I am not sure exactly how that works. If it turns out that is causing a loss of revenue I have no problem turning it off for the Cmhq site(like I said easily customizable smile.gif ).

Teutonic

While I'm not sure, my understanding is that the anti-add apps generally don't affect access counters.

Furthermore its an oversimplification to say that people are impatient at waiting 20 secs, in my experience it's a heck of a lot longer than that. No, I don't have a cable modem, the transfer rate at my end is irrelevant it's the capacity of whatever excerable server those adds are on. In fact I am on a WAN with optical fibre which makes a cable modem seem snail-like.

As a compromise I use the OBG link but use the "proper" link when finished.

Guest Captain Foobar

You know, with the cable modem, I don't even notice the ads. I can download streaming radiospy music, crap from fileplanet.com, and live cam of this guy's cat box ( REALLY cool site ), and still the ads come up without lagging my system....

I pity you people :P

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captain Foobar:

You know, with the cable modem, I don't even notice the ads. I can download streaming radiospy music, crap from fileplanet.com, and live cam of this guy's cat box ( REALLY cool site ), and still the ads come up without lagging my system....

I pity you people smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know what the sad part about this for me is?

I do this **** for a living.......Browse all day on a T1/T2 connection at work.......Come home....and it's 56K sucky ass dial up AOL.

The claim from the cable and phone company is, it's not available in the area yet.

WTF????? frown.gif

------------------

Better to make the wrong decision than be the sorry son of a bitch to scared to make one at all