Problem solved

I've been posting freezing problems for the last several months. Thought I'd tried everything. Well, yesterday I bought a nice 19 inch .26 digital monitor. Started noticing how much faster internet pages loaded with my dsl so I thought I'd give the CM demo one more try. And it works. No more freezing. Who da thunk a monitor could cause those kinds of problems? Anyway I thought I'd post this in the hope it might help someone else.

your monitor has nothing to do with they system freezing... for the most part monitors are little more than dumb CRTs... 99% of the signal processing is done by your video card (the other 1% is things like margin, pin cushon, and other asthetics)...

Your video card for the most part doesn't care what its feeding... There is no reverse feedback (i.e, the signal goes from system to monitor, never in reverse)... the video card simply assumes that the monitor is working and capable of displaying whatever signal it send out...

Note - as far as I know this is the case for both crt's and Lcds... but I have yet to deal with many flatscreens so I'm not sure...

-EridanMan

[This message has been edited by Eridani (edited 03-17-2000).]

Easy...driver issue. If you right click on your desktop, you can go into properties of the video card, in there are the drivers for the monitor. My GUESS would be you had a problem with directx with the video card and monitor combination. Does it make sense? NO. Is it Microsoft? maybe...ask Charles about the nightmare of trying to program in directx.

rune

I have no clue on this one since the previous posts from Eridani & rune are what I would have guessed.

The only thing, and it sounds incorrect, that I think could be different is that the video card was running at a different vertical refresh; and maybe, JUST MAYBE, your video card had an unusually hard time running those particular frequencies. Though your resolution was the same, it is possible that your vertical refresh was different without actually specifying it. confused.gif

rich... I hate to tell you, but there is no way that your moniter fixed the problem...

There is no way that the monitor wouldn't have "processed the signal fast enough"... the monitor simply doesn't process the signal at all.

there are many different things and settings that might have changed, maybe because of driver updates from a different program, maybe because everything just decided to start working (I've definately seen windows PC's do that)...

But the monitor was not the cause... quite frankly the computer doesn't even know/care if the monitor is there...

Its a pointless discussion anyway though, at least you can play now, right? (now if only this damn ATI Rage Mobile could play CM, I would REALLY be happy)....

-EridanMan

[This message has been edited by Eridani (edited 03-19-2000).]