BIG Mother of all WWII books spotted!!!

Today I spotted (and bought of course biggrin.gif) the biggest mother of all WWII books I have ever seen:

The History of WWII

Published by Prospero Books

Written by Lt. Col. E. Bauer

ISBN 1-55267-115-1

This book is BIG. 1,000 pages in all. About 15 pounds, and 4" thick.

It's split into 98 chapters, each covering a major campaign of some sort. For example, to give you an idea of the detail, there are 12 chapters alone covering North Africa (not even inlcuding Malta and the north mediterranean):

The Duce's Ambitions

Albania, Taranto, Sidi Barrini

Tripoli in Danger

Enter Rommel

BattleAxe: Struggle on the Frontier

Tobruk and Malta

Operation Crusader

Crisis in the Desert

Alam Halfa: Rommel's Last Throw

Alamein

Torch: A Two Front War for Rommel

Africa: the End

In addition There are about 25 chapters on the east front, 25 on the west front, 10 on the north mediteranean, 20 on Asia, and the rest on air and sea campaigns.

Each chapter is about 10 pages long, and consists of many colour and B&W pics, a couple of maps, and the odd weapon diagram or propaganda poster. The text looks decent, although I've onlt skimmed pieces of it so far. Also, in each chapter you might find a few separate but related articles of interest on key battles, people or weapons. Also listed are detailed OOBs, at the divisional scale.

The maps are not really useful for CM scenario development, as they tend to be operational in scale, not tactical. Most units represented on most maps are divisions.

(The guys playing TOAW must be salivating over this book).

The price was $50 Canadian (about $30 in real money).

The only drawback to this book is it is a little too hefty to be reading on the crapper mad.gif

I will check this out. That's not a bad price for a book of that size.

BTW

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The only drawback to this book is it is a little too hefty to be reading on the crapper <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What if you have your significant other hold the book and turn the pages?

Guest machineman

I have the multivolume set (like about 20 volumes or more) of the same book. I found it excellent (pined for it as a kid, could only afford the first few volumes, then picked the whole set up for cheap at a garage sale a few years ago). Finally leant it to an ex-army friend as found it too distracting to have around when I was trying to get work done. Great pictures and always thought it was pretty even handed. Reminds me I should pick it up again.

[This message has been edited by machineman (edited 11-25-2000).]

Ok Hundminen I also have this book in the volume format.

It is 30 volumes ( ammusing note from the cover it has the price for each volume as $3.50AUS and $3.50US, Nowadays $3.50US would be about $8+ Aus.)

I just looked inside the front cover it says it is based on the original text of Lt-Col Eddy Bauer(who is Swiss I believe), Editor-in-chief is Brigadier Peter Young DSO, MC, MA.

Published by Orbis 1972,1978,1983 after that I don't know.

Also has a copyright in 1966 for Jasper Polus, Monaco.

Number of pages including index is 2,880.

Pages are A4 size.

It is a great piece of work, although the scale is generally larger than CMBO it is still an excellent resource material.

Thats aout all I can be bothered typing just now smile.gif

Funnily enough was just having a quick read of the Tripoli in Danger chapter just before I read this thread.

------------------

Work is the curse of the drinking class.

I have nothing else to say. Ya, quote that you rat bastards.

-Meeks