OT - Voodoo 5500 price drop

I saw in the Best Buy ad today that the Voodoo 5 5500 AGP is down to US$199.99. That price is shown on bestbuy.com, too. I'm asking Amazon.com for a price adjustment as I paid $299 three weeks ago. If you have been thinking about one of these, now is the time to buy. The Voodoo 4500 is at $149, so the extra $50 seems well worth it.

------------------

"Late evening turned to early morning as you sat with fists tightly gripped and thumb poised, anxiously awaiting the next cartridge of goodness. The hardcore gamer was born from nights such as these. Show your 'Roots.'" - The description of the Atari 2600 shirt on game-skins.com

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

Well I don't doubt it since 3Dfx has pulled out of the 3D card manufacturing business.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't say I followed all of the press and speculation, but I thought they said they were selling their plant and contracting out the manufacture of their cards. I infer from your statement that they are ceasing to sell cards completely.

You know the board the graphics chips are on? The green hard thing? THAT'S what 3DFX is ceasing to produce on it's own.

If anything, this is a smart move. They are outsourcing and taking advantage of a division of labour in the total "video card" manufacturing process.

Now, they are going to be focusing more on the Chipsets themselves.

You may see a stock price increase for 3DFX in the next few months.

Yeah well I got the 5500 after taking back two other cards and still have not found one that will play nicely with CM. But as long as I don't do a few certain things the in game graphics stay very nice in X4FSAA.

I was to the point where I was gonna scrap the idea of ever having a newer card but just gave up on getting it to work correctly. It seems to work with other games so it isn't so bad.

Mord.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Supertanker:

I can't say I followed all of the press and speculation, but I thought they said they were selling their plant and contracting out the manufacture of their cards. I infer from your statement that they are ceasing to sell cards completely.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not quite.

They are selling their plant. They are not contracting production, out, they are exiting the graphics cards manufacturing business altogether.

They are going to go back to making just the chipset and selling those to third parties for use in graphics cards. Basically the same way that NVidia works now.

Jeff Heidman

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pillar:

Now, they are going to be focusing more on the Chipsets themselves.

You may see a stock price increase for 3DFX in the next few months. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I agree that this is a smart move for 3dFx, I would not run out and but any stock right away.

You do not make such a substantial change in your business plan, especially when the change is driven by a massive failure, without some serious financial repurcussions.

The jury is still out on whether 3dFx can pull this off.

Jeff Heidman