How about a Vietnam MOD? BTS Please read

Guest Gunslinger

"Gee, thanks very much. I see now that I am a complete idiot, with no understanding of any of these three."

You're welcome...

smile.gif

Los

(BTW this discussion about how the CM-engine won't be good for modelling this or that modern conflict has been done and shot down about a dozen times already at the very least)

Gee Gunslinger, nice set of ethics you operate under.

"Warez posters are scum and deserve to die."

"But hackers are nice people despite the fact that what they do is illegal."

So, terrorists are bad because they kill people but the bomb makers are cool because they just make the bombs, they don't set them off.

Where do you think all the warez sites get their garbage? Oh, ya hackers supply it.

So, who is ultimately ripping off the software companies and developers?

Whatever happened to politeness, eh? wink.gif

1) As I understand it, any mod would still require the original CD to be inserted.

2) BTS have only outlined WW2 games for the future of the CM series.

IMHO no-one loses out if a Vietnam mod would be produced - as long as BTS gave permission, and I presume they would look at that on a case-by-case basis.

And BTS just might make some more sales from wargames who are into Vietnam and not WW2, also! wink.gif

Guest Gunslinger

>"But hackers are nice people despite the

>fact that what they do is illegal."

Don't go putting words in my mouth pal.

I never said the above.

I was only pointing out the differences to the uninformed like you.

------------------

headshot.gif **GUNSLINGER** camper.gif

Just Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

[This message has been edited by Gunslinger (edited 09-02-2000).]

When does the name-calling start..? frown.gif

This is an interesting thread. I recently read Samuel Zaffiri's 'Hamburger Hill' and the idea of a Vietnam mod as Gunslinger describes it is interesting.

There's a lot of work involved, obviously, but if a group of like-minded people could be assembled - and with BTS's approval, of course - it could be an attractive addition to CM.

Now let's get back on-topic and put our toys away, okay..? wink.gif

Guest Gunslinger

Zulu1 said:

>BTW, PLONK!

Hey man, whatever floats your boat.

Didn't know you could Plonk people on this board, but hey, whatever makes you happy.

All I was wanting was so people that might be interested in doing what I said and all you have done is tried to make me look like some crook.

Don't worry, I'm done talking to you too.

Have a nice day.

------------------

headshot.gif **GUNSLINGER** camper.gif

Just Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

[This message has been edited by Gunslinger (edited 09-03-2000).]

Let's get back to being a little civil here.

This is the main point. BTS has stated in the past that they are not going to open up thier code to mod makers, to where the core data, such as terrain effects, unit info, and so on, can be modified. So I don't hold out much hope for them changing thier mind for your Vietnam mod idea. Right now, it's impossible for you to make a good Vietnam mod legally, because the only thing you can change is the graphics. The underlying unit ratings would still all be WWII troops and vehicles.

Where it becomes illegal is if you were to to this on your own, without BTS permission. So if you get permission, great. But if you don't get permission, but go ahead and crack the code to edit the units anyway, then bad, bad Gunslinger... smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mikeydz:

Let's get back to being a little civil here.

But if you don't get permission, but go ahead and crack the code to edit the units anyway, then bad, bad Gunslinger... smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now let's be clear, Gunslinger is asking for permission. I'm sure you didn't mean to imply that Gunslinger was about to do that without the permission of BTS, Mikeydz, but that's how flame wars start, and we already have one ongoing here already... wink.gif

There are just too many trolls, and too people rising to the bait at the moment. frown.gif