One for the books: 27 ricoshes in 3 minuts. Some interesting observations...

Ok here what happened. My Tiger runs into Easy Eight sherman. Both were full down at 150 meters. About 30 secs of ricoshets followed. Then tiger had its gun damaged and decided to reverse.

At the same time I got my second tiger into the fight. I poped up hull down just 100 meters in front of sherman. Sherman continue to fire at damaged tiger which reverses about 100 meters and then stops at 45 degree angle to the sherman. Sherman keeps firing at damaged tiger and ricochets follow. At the same my second Tiger is firing at sherman from 100 meters and also every shot ricoshes.

Amazingly sherman did not change target to my healthy tiger.

This situation continued for next 3 minuts.

Finally sherman panics and reverses.

Lessons:

1) Don't try to kill hull down easy eight with front shots.

2) Standing at 45 degrees to the enemy can prolong your life. (Maybe 20 degrees would be better)

3) AI does not change target from tank with damaged guns to the healthy one.

My record for a single Tank is 17 ricoshets that my JagzPanter took without any damage (and it killed 76 shermans)

My most amazing ricochet was against a jumbo sherman.

I had a pz4 fire at the jumbo from behind at 18! meters. About five or six shells bounced off of the rear turret. The seventh shell penetrated.

MK

Guest Michael emrys

Halting at an angle of about 30° to the enemy is standard procedure for me whenever possible (and I manage to remember to do so). It doesn't guarantee that I will live, but I figure that it just might be that margin that lets me squeak by.

Michael

killmore,

How would the Easy Eight know that your Tiger had a damaged gun? Well maybe, if it was bent up at an unusual angle smile.gif

I am impressed that the TacAI of the Sherman continued to fire at the Tiger with the damaged gun! The usual case is that it would cheat and switch immediately to the other Tiger. But the Sherman TacAI is behaving in a realistic manner and not getting information that it should not have. Oh well, at least that is how it appears to me. I applaud CM's AI again for playing full FOW. But I may be mistaken.

Guest Pillar

How come the TacAI automatically turns facing full forward if a 20-30 degree angle is better?

(Crew Spooks?)

richochets? i should be so lucky! i had a tiger destroyed-literally blown up-by a STUART! the stuart was reversing and hit my tiger HEAD ON at a range of 659 meters. the graphic said front penetration,hit weak spot. my jaw hit the ground. i reran the video tape several times as tears welled up in my eyes.

In the [CENSORED] scenario my Hetzer took shot after shot from the Allied Tank Destoyer. All front armor richocets. Very impresive. I know Madmatt considers it one of his favorite vehicles but is this a "typical" result. Have others seen such action. W/sharply sloped frontal armor it's effectiveness certaily is increased, but can it go toe to toe and survivie regularly or was this just one of those days?

[This message has been edited by jdmorse (edited 07-01-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jackhammer:

richochets? i should be so lucky! i had a tiger destroyed-literally blown up-by a STUART! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Something I discovered very quickly in my first PBEM of VoT is that the invincible German armor isn't. I was getting thoroughly spanked as the Germans, and waiting for that Panther to come and shred the amis. It finally showed up and the first shot against it by a Sherman damaged the gun. Meanwhile my reinforcement platoon was getting thrashed by artillery. I surrendered a short time later.

When my opponent and I reversed, the Panther managed to kill an MMG crew that was mostly away from the action and providing harassing fire, then the Panther was destroyed once I managed to roll a Sherman up from behind.

I've gotten a hetzer once so far and threw it away imediatly frown.gif I lost it to a top hit from a zook, I really have to start seeing those things as threats...

As to the Panther being easily taken out, play with it a bit more and you'll see it often take ricochet after ricochet while calmly destroying the Allied armor.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jackhammer:

richochets? i should be so lucky! i had a tiger destroyed-literally blown up-by a STUART! the stuart was reversing and hit my tiger HEAD ON at a range of 659 meters. the graphic said front penetration,hit weak spot. my jaw hit the ground. i reran the video tape several times as tears welled up in my eyes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehehe - one of my fondest memories playing CM so far will be the Beta demo LD game, where my Zook team killed the Tiger at 74m from a frontal hit. A very irate tank-crew bailed and killed the zook team. Did not help my opponent though...

Had to watch the video three times before I believed it, and then several times more for the pure joy it brought on.

------------------

Andreas

Have had Hetzers take shot after shot and just keep killing enemy tanks. On the other hand, I've had them taken out on the first shot so it just all depends on where they're hit and they're certainly not immortal. Definitely a lot of bang for the buck given their average survivability hull down.

Also was floored when I saw a Stuart kill one of my Tigers with a frontal shot penetration.

T'was a sad day.

Ghost