Total Allied Victory....for the AI!!! (I am humbled)

I just played a short and nasty 300 point quick battle and got trounced rapidly by the AI.

It was sobering.

I set myself up as the axis defending with two Pzkpf IV's and a "small" map. I chose good defensive positions and set things going. It was a long, narrow map and I thought, oh wow, I'll be able to cream these guys, I should have made this a bigger map for their sake. Four turns later I had two smoking panzers and two dead crews. The AI employed a broad frontal assault. I haven't seen it do that before. They just came at me on the run, under the cover of smoke, and in no time were flanking the ville I was in. I tried to maneuver, but it was too late...

I have beaten the AI soundly scores of times, most of the time, but every time it bests me I am completely overwhelmed. I sure love this game!

Zamo

Funny you should mention this I had a similar experience last night.

I had my kill zones all laid out covering the only way for vehicles into the objective area (very wooded map). Apparently the AI also noticed this fact and just STORMED its way in totally overwheleming my defenses with smoke & firepower.

I was duly impressed.

_dumbo

I got trounced twice yesterday, both times defending! AI Pushed me back from one patch of forest to the other, my other flank got ripped open by a panther and 170mm arty fire! AI infantry stormed in and I was pushed to a small corner of the map where I surrendered my forces...

Another time the AI's infantry was charging across a road into my patch of scatttered trees, it was a bloody and see-saw fight. Then I saw the AI's tanks go around my little defensive pocket and get up on the sides and rear. They shot down on my infantry and the enemy took the position. My counterstroke with 2 infantry platoons in half-tracks supported by a Sexton retook the position.....A Great fight....The AI is so fun to play in this game!!!

Sounds familiar... I set up a little QB defending a village, and it dealt me 2 Panthers and a 'schreck. That was it. I had spotted the AI +25%.

Sheesh. I killed all the armor (my little schreckster got 'im a Cromwell) but engineers, infantry, PIAT teams, and those annoying little zippy things that Brits use were EVERYWHERE. My tanks just couldn't LOAD fast enough.

I sued for peace when the Panther crews rolled their little eyes up to the screen... how embarassing.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

Sounds familiar... I set up a little QB defending a village, and it dealt me 2 Panthers and a 'schreck. That was it. I had spotted the AI +25%.

Sheesh. I killed all the armor (my little schreckster got 'im a Cromwell) but engineers, infantry, PIAT teams, and those annoying little zippy things that Brits use were EVERYWHERE. My tanks just couldn't LOAD fast enough.

I sued for peace when the Panther crews rolled their little eyes up to the screen... how embarassing.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You must be talking bout those lil Daimler types. God I hate those!...lol

------------------

Thanks for Athskin!

Hmmm, there seems to be a common theme here. AI smokes your positions and charges in a human-wave like attack. The human player ends up worrying more about how much ammo he has than taking casualties. And I thought it was just my bad luck! wink.gif

Seems kinda russian to me...

Maybe Charles included some code for CM2 in the 1.03 patch? biggrin.gif

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb wink.gif

[This message has been edited by IntelWeenie (edited 08-08-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Grognerd_Fogman:

You must be talking bout those lil Daimler types. God I hate those<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, the even littler zippier T8 things and their endless variations. Like bloody mosquitoes, they just swarmed my little village. No direct threat to Panthers, but full of unpleasant little folk with guns and explosives.

I had one startling experience with a Daimler ambush in another AI battle, and I got a great screen shot of its eventual demise, with a 75 up the tailpipe and a magnificent catastrophic explosion. I always show that shot to potential CMers.

I was playing South of Sword yesterday (Lord! what a hard scenario!) as the Allies. I can remember my full platoon of tanks cresting that hill..... and watching them pop like balloons. Needless to say, I was a bit demoralized. Oh, and then I had to organize a careful retreat for the rest of the battle. Argh.

Hawk

I played against the Polish and was defending a town, I lost. Poles came at me with two seperate attacks, I had no chance because all I had was 3 Stugs, 1 20mm halftrack and 1 platoon of SS infantry....They had about 4 platoons of infantry and 2 sherman iii's..

p.s The Canadian forces are cool in CM!!

I was playing the scenario with the Polish armor. Don't read if you don't want spoilers.

Anyway, I was playing the Poles. This was one of my first scenarios, and I really stank. I killed most of the German armor, and blocked them, but I lost all of my tanks. Most of the Germans just floundered around and died, but there was one Panther that I just couldn't kill. It kept anticipating my moves. I'd position some tanks to attack it -- it would back up and hide. I'd smoke it and try to move to get a flank shot -- it would turn to face my tank, which would back up without shooting. No matter how I tried to manuever, it would be in a position to counter it. I tried to sneak bazookas -- it killed them. All of this while buttoned. Finally, with all of my tanks knocked out and bazooka teams dead, it started counter-attacking one of my infantry platoons. They were running for their lives when the scenario mercifully ended. It said I won a major victory. Didn't feel like one.

-- Mike Zeares