Help on future CM GD download

I have a question for all the technology- gifted folks on the board. Here is my problem:

When the CM GD is available, I plan on downloading it to my computer at work, which has a T-1 line. I also would like to download it to my computer at home, which, unfortunately, has a 56k modem. With a projected download size of over 30 mbs, the 56k will be a very slow experience while the T-1 should knock it out in no time. Is there any way of 'transporting' the @ work CM program to the @ home?

I don't have a writeable CD @ work (but do @ home, how unfortunately perverse!). I was thinking I could email it to home, which would save having to go to the BTS server twice. Or I could save it to diskettes (yes, I have that many diskettes). Is either of these two options a solution? Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks guys,

James Bailey

Guest Germanboy

Try borrowing a Zip drive. That's how I am going to get it from my office to my home machine.

------------------

Andreas

James,

You could use PK ZIP or WINZIP and make an archive that spans across a number of disks. (I think you fit about 1.3meg or so on a floppy, so it would be 23 or 24 floppies or so, but worth it) I had to do this with the Beta Demo, as my connection at home was 28.8k at the time. Now I have DSL at home, and will not need to put the Gold Demo on disks to bring home. Thank God.

Careful with the e-mail issue, some ISP's put limits on the size of attachments you can add to emails. My ISP had a 10 meg limit. It sucks.

CrapGame out

Zip drive is way better than either of the two ways you are thinking of trying to go. If you email to home from work, it is going to take just as long to download it off your email as it would to just download it from the site. 56k is 56k either way. That reminds me, gotta get in contact w/ my buddy from school that works here in our IT department. I don't have a ZIP drive that I can use here at work, but he does! ;)

Mike D

aka Mikester

Guest Madmatt

You could always bring your harddrive from your hime system in to work and directly copy it across. This requires a modest amount of hardware knowledge (are both systems SCSI, IDE etc...) and maybe an extra cable and possibly a jumper change on the drivers but its not too difficult.

This also requires opening the case on both your work system and home system. For someone like me, my computers probably spend more time with their cases off then on, its no biggie. Some companies don't want you mucking around inside though.

If you are left wit hhaving to download via your modem I would suggest at least trying to copy the file to your local account on your isp. Most give you between 10-100 megs of storage (you will need to FTP to the required location) and downloading from your isp will be the quickest possible with your modem as it only a single hop (term for how many systems or infra-structure nodes your data is from your current location) away.

Madmatt...

p.s. you could always get your boss to get you a laptop! hehehe I have two of them from work! biggrin.gif

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

And if it's NOT on CMHQ then its just GOT to be on CMHQ-ANNEX...

CMHQ http://combathq.thegamers.net

CMHQ-Annex http://cmhq.tzo.com

Both now proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

Guest Blacksilver

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Woody:

Of course you could always play CM at work smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hell, if I couldn't play I'd work I'd NEVER have time to play. Thank God for a private office!

------------------

Blacksilver

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"Nature does not loathe virtue: it is unaware of its existence."

-Françoise Mallet-Joris<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Black Sabot:

Pardon my computer ignorance,

Just so i have this right. Can i D/L the demo at work, zip it, E-mail it to my home P/C, then un-zip and play?

Did i miss anything here?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes you did miss something, no offense of course, but...

Your PC at home still has to download that zip file which will still be close to the 30 some-odd meg, so it really isn't going to be that much faster, BUT it will only have to go through a single or maybe a double jump in ISPs, like Madmatt said. So either way, though, you're still gonna have to download close to a 30 MB file anyway.

I would copy it to multiple 3.5" disks and take it home, that's

the easiest way if you want to dl at work. But what's the point?

If you start the dl at home the night before when you go to sleep

or first thing in the morning it will be done dling at home by the

time you get back from work. So why bother dling it at work at

all? smile.gif

Just dl it on your home PC, go to work and when you come home you

will have a wonderful gift waiting. smile.gif

You could take your CD burner to work and burn the file on CD there - then simply bring the CD burner back home. Assuming you understand which drivers you need, this shouldn't be tough to do. Of course, the portable zip drive option is probably even more simple than this - IF you have access to a zip drive.

Good luck!

Guest mch

what about unzipping it to a folder

(on the cpu at work),then mail the

different files in the folder(BMP,WAV,etc...)

seperately,to get around the 10mb limit?

would that work?

(trying to be helpful)

------------------

"I for one, am pretty damn close to a Genius"

-O'B&G-

Guest Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hawk:

I'll also doubt that you gain much by zipping since HPS probably allready has to ease download.

Hawk

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ummm, Hawk? BTS, not HPS!

wink.gif

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

And if it's NOT on CMHQ then its just GOT to be on CMHQ-ANNEX...

CMHQ http://combathq.thegamers.net

CMHQ-Annex http://cmhq.tzo.com

Both now proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

Forget the email option, since as pointed out before, you'll have size limit problems, and it's still going to have to download the whole 30 megs at 56k.

So your choices are...

A. Find someone with a Zip drive you can borrow for a day.

B. Use WinZip (or other compression program) that supports disk spanning. You won't gain anything s far as the compression goes, but at least it will get it onto your boatload of floppies.

C. Uncompile and write down the code onto, oh, 100 or so noteboks. Go home and type in the copied code into your computer and recompile the code. Viola.. you have the Gold demo. Note, this option is still faster than downloading via 56k. smile.gif

Mikey