Wespe self-kill

I was playing last night, and saw the damndest thing. I encountered a couple of Wespes, and though I was able to account for one kill, I couldn't for the life of me figure out what had gotten the other. It had died at 15m range from a PIAT team, but the PIAT didn't get it.

After the game, I found that under its kill listing, it had scored "1 Wespe". It apparently got itself with the blast when it fired a 105mm shell at that PIAT team.

I love this game. biggrin.gif

------------------

-Doug

Guest Scott Clinton

Hey, if I was the gunner and that flamethrower was closing in...I'd risk it too! biggrin.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>After the game, I found that under its kill listing, it had scored "1 Wespe".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! I wonder how the game scores that. Do you lose points for losing the Wespe but also gain the same number of points for the kill? tongue.gif

- Chris

Hmm, I would think you should lose the points from the loss of the weapon,

but your opponent wouldn't get any points for it at all, since he didn't

kill anything. Odd thing to have happen, but I guess if your options

are to take a risk and go for the shot, or get killed by the enemy

or get captured, you might as well take the risk. smile.gif Needless to say,

a MG would be very handy in such situations. wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thewood:

It shot at a flame team only 20m away and blew itself up. It took me a few replays to figure it out. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Similarly, I had a Sherman attempt to fire at an infantry target a few hundred meters away. It was firing PAST a knocked out Stug. I see the cannon fire, and then an explosion a few meters in front of the Sherman (which caused the Sherman to IMMEDIATELY button up). I figure an unspotted AT so I start replaying to try and figure out where. Eventually, I HEAR the ricochet OFF the Stug.

Wow...

During a night battle, one of my squads in a building was given credit for killing a friendly gun emplacement ~100 meters in front of it. I never saw it happen, and only figured it out at the final tally. Being shot in the back of the head was never so much fun!

Jonathan

Hmmm, I thought wrecks didn't block LOS. But it appears they will block LOF? How does that work?

Anyway in a similar vein...I've had two units try to immolate themselves by firing their panzerfausts from indoors. CM is the first game I've seen to start fires in buildings this way. Usually there is some negative effect from the backblast but not spontaneous human combustion..

[This message has been edited by RMC (edited 07-18-2000).]

Wrecks DO block LOS and LOF.

Just recently I saw a 40mm AAA gun operted by US paratroops continually failing to "thread the needle" with shots between two friendly-occupied houses.

Eventually it blew up one of the houses its own troops were in wink.gif. Sheesh, talk about friendly fire.

Interesting development. Wrecks offer the cover that their live cousins do not. If I were an infantryman in CM I would be hard pressed to decide between a functioning tank supporting me or a dead one offering cover from enemy fire. Die, damn you that MG is killing us....

I was playtesting a operation I'm making and talking about strange and funny things, I had a German Enginer team working its way through a town, now I dont know if they used a demo charge or not, but a British rifle platoon was in a house and the enginers move inside it "SUPRISE!".. so begins the house fight (you hear shots, and fist fighting).. next thing I see is a Extreme explosion and the rifle platoon is dead, the house is rubble and the enginer team has two guys alive routed and running as fast as possible to Berlin... what exactly happened im not sure but tossing a demo charge in a house you are in i think falls under "most stupid things one can do" examples.

it was beautiful I think the Brits were more suprised to see a jerry pull a pin on a 5Kg high explosive charge and toss it in the middle of the room. biggrin.gif

Vehicles moving do not block LOF or LOS, a computing problem I can live with.

BUT, a missed shot could interact with a live vehicle and make it look like it blocks LOF, but this interaction occurs after the shot is missed on the intended target.

BTS, could it be possible to provid LIVE vehicle LOS blockage if the vehicle is NOT given a movement order in a future patch?

IF Vehicle NOT Moving, THEN can block LOS, ELSE No LOS calculation.

Guest Bloodlust

im no expert in ww2 weapons but doesnt a HE round require a certain disatance before it arms its self....i know when i was in the infantry that the 40mm grenades for the M203 required 20-30m before the fuse armed its self.

its not a techo prob either...something about the spin from the rifling

anyway....great game......bad for my sleep patterns and terrible for my study at uni.