Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CM5 - Beyond Overlord...again?

According to several posts, CM2 is going to be a rebuild of the CM engine. I had always assumed it would just be the CM engine with a few tweaks and improvements, plus the new vehicles and weapons.

If CM2 is going to be a rebuild of the engine, and then CM3 (The Med) is a rebuild of CM2, and CM4 (Early War) is a rebuild of CM3....then we are going to need a CM5 Beyond Overlord 2 just to get the original CM engine back up to speed with the other games in the series!

I bet that rebuilding the game engine is going to make retrofitting improvments impossible as the series progresses. Thus the need for CM5 Beyond Overlord 2.

Am I wrong?

I think that CM2: the Eastern Front is separate from CMII, the next generation of the engine. I very much doubt that the next CM game will feature a new engine, or I'd imagine the development time would be quite a bit longer than the 18 months BTS has been mentioning.

------------------

Grand Poobah of the fresh fire of Heh.

CM 2: East Front

CM 3: Mediterranean

CM 4: Early War* (Poland '39 and France "40)

CM 5: Either Modern (probably NATO-WP ~1980) or Korean War with CM6 being Modern.

*This one doesn't excite me personally.

There will be no Pacific War CM because Charles and Steve have little interest in the Pacific war and they don't want to make a game they have no enthusiasm for.

Don't expect to see a completely new graphics engine before CM4 at the earliest.

This is all stuff BTS has said in the past.

------------------

You mean my Java coded Real Time Bar Fight Simulator Madmatt Mission: Beyond BiteMe ISN'T going to be published?!?

Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vanir:

CM 4: Early War* (Poland '39 and France "40)

*This one doesn't excite me personally.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What!? Where's the Winter War? And I personally am enthusiastic to try the Char B1. In 1940 even the Somuas were a hard nut for Germans.

You know what is the best thing about the early war period? You can fit the invasion of Denmark or Luxemburg into one tiny operation...

I think one of the coolest things about the Early War was that it was when massed armor was king, and could indulge in breakouts and encirclements much more easily.

Infantry had very little to stop a tank with ('course they were a little easier to stop back then). One shot, one kill tank types were rare or non-existent. It is amazing how much of Germany's victories rode on the PzI, II, and III, or the early snub-nosed IV. Particularly when their opponents often had superior tanks (or at least superior in many regards).

I think it would be highly instructive to all us American players to see how much war there was before we showed up, and how it was fought. You know they gotta model Stukas for this one... maybe even horses...

One thing you have to remember about the "Blitzkrieg" period of the war and the early Russian Front. The German tanks were not overwhelming masters of the battlefield. There were no MkIVs with the long 75s, Panthers or Tigers; only MkIIs, MkIIIs and the French had the best tanks in the world at that time. What the French lacked was an effective armored warfare policy. Those players who insist on only playing as Germans will have to adopt a more defensive attitude or see their tanks turned into funeral pires like the Allies do in CMBO. What the Germans will have on their side is a more effective combined arms doctrine, better air cover and dynamic leadership. It should be the best of the CM games.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Originally posted by Sergei:

What!? Where's the Winter War?

Hopefully CM2 covers the Finns in the Winter War, the Continuation War and the Lapland War. These guys ending up fighting both the Russians and the Germans (in the closing days). I'd like to buy the movie "The Winter War" but it's $30+ dollar price tag makes me think twice.