RAN back in theaters!!!

Guest dirkd1976

Guest dirkd1976

Thats right, Akira Kurosawa'a RAN is being re-released in theaters all around the county!! biggrin.gif Check out this link to the official site: www.ran2000.com/

If you havent seen this movie, rent a copy, buy a copy or steal a copy if you have to!!! This has to be one of my all time favorites, along with Kurosawa's Seven Samurai and Rashoman.

If you have any intrest in the Samurai era of Japan, check out this movie, you will not be dissapointed!! smile.gif

Happy gaming (and movie watching!!)

------------------

Never mistake motion for action - Ernest Hemingway

Wow, that is the first movie I remember seeing. My dad took me to the local theater when I was two or something like that. I didn't really understand the plot (go figure), but I was very impressed with the fighting.

------------------

Upon the fields of friendly strife, are sown the seeds of Victory.

---Douglas McArthur

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mikeadams:

The plot is King Lear<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is mostly King Lear but there is an important Macbeth plot in there as well. Lady Kaede is most similar to Lady Macbeth in her plotting. Despite her positioned as a villain, I find her character quite sympathetic.

Hey now... who started a Kurosawa party and didn't invite me? smile.gif Actually, though Ran is good, I would have rather seen a re-release of Yojimbo, Sanjuro, or the Samurai trilogy (yes, I know, the Samurai trilogy wasn't Kurosawa... they were done by Inagaki Hiroshi, and are very good as well... especially the second and third installments smile.gif ). I've seen virtually every Kurosawa/Mifune film, and those stand out as my all-time favorites, along with The Hidden Fortess. But if Ran makes it here to the boondocks, I'll spend the money to see it on a big screen.

And as far as books go, Musashi is a classic... Yoshikawa is a true master.

------------------

In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit. -- M.M.

I've seen the first and the last of the Samurai trilogy and I have to admit that I'm not a big fan. Why? Well most of it seemed to be a lot of attitude leading up to, oh, one or two scenes where the fighting was over in one minute. The one I remember was Duel in Ganryu Island where the whole movie sets up the showdown with Mushashi's main rival. They posture. Run a bit. Whack. One man dies. Hrmph. I'm a patient viewer but it didn't really do a lot for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by howardb:

Great movie, saw it in my early teens maybe I should see it again. While we're on the subject who has read James Clavells Shogun, has to be one of the best books I've read ever.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've read Shogun about 10 times. It and all Clavell's books are great. Have you read Tai-pan?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Disaster@work:

I've seen the first and the last of the Samurai trilogy and I have to admit that I'm not a big fan. Why? Well most of it seemed to be a lot of attitude leading up to, oh, one or two scenes where the fighting was over in one minute. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, to be fair, it's not an action film... if you want a lot of blood, killing and fighting, rent American Ninja or a Bruce Lee flick. The point of the trilogy (as is the point of the book) is to define Musashi, not to show a bunch of action sequences. Samurai combat was usually over very quickly, whether both samurai were skilled or not... much as American western gunfights were. The build-up and mental/spiritual preparation was where the battle was won or lost. It's not like they slash and hack off limbs and fight until one combatant is merely a torso or a head (a la MP & the HG).

The second film does have several more action sequences, but action was not the point of these films... the portrayal of one man's inner struggle and spiritual growth and maturity was. And it's the way Mifune portrays this growth and maturation that make the trilogy a classic group of films. Miyamoto Musashi (or Samurai I here in the States) won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Film in 1955...

As an "action" film, it doesn't compare to Kurosawa's samurai works, but that doesn't mean it's not an exceptional group of films.

Anyway, just my two cents...

------------------

In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit. -- M.M.

Aggamemnon: Havent read any other Clavell books but I'll probably take your advice and buy Tai-pan. What made Shogun interesting for me was how well he explained the mentality of the samurais, I sometimes wonder if it really was like that? Some books do that to you, tell you a lie so good that you're wondering if it's true smile.gif I love historical novels in just about any genre I read a book about the Aztecs just a month ago. Very interesting reading. Got any good suggestions?

I liked all the Clavell work I've read. Check out Noble House too. Was King Rat from Clavell also?

Ran was my least favorite of the kurosawa films, loved Yojimbo though. The musashi novels were great. Movie's were alright but I had the books first...

How about the Seven Samurai that was pretty cool movie too smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darwin:

Was King Rat from Clavell also?

smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Clavell wrote King Rat. It was his first book. Incidentally, he was actually in Changi (the Japanese POW camp in the book) during the war.

Howardb, have you read Herman Wouk's "The Hope" and "The Glory"? They're about Israel's history from 1947-1985 or so.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mikeadams:

The plot is King Lear<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kind of fun, that half of Kurosawas samurai stuff is Shakespeare

in samurai settings.

The other half has been remade in the west, only in non-samurai

settings. 7 samurais have been remade a jillion times,

(anyone with a list?) and Last man Standing was Yojimbo, almost

scene for scene. Any more that I've forgot?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

Kind of fun, that half of Kurosawas samurai stuff is Shakespeare

in samurai settings.

The other half has been remade in the west, only in non-samurai

settings. 7 samurais have been remade a jillion times,

(anyone with a list?) and Last man Standing was Yojimbo, almost

scene for scene. Any more that I've forgot?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"A fistful of dollars"(Clint doing what Clint does better than anyone else) is Yojimbo straight off, so is "Flight of the Raven" (my guess at the US title), Yojimbo in a viking setting, made in Iceland.

Kurosawas "Throne of blood" is Macbeth, "Kagemusha" is brilliant too. I'm glad they decided to re-release Ran as I can not get hold of it here. Seven Samurai might be the most influential movie ever made esp when looking at use of the camera. I've shown it to several of my friends and they all say they get the feeling they have seen it before, even if they haven't. Every scene/shot in that film has probably been reproduced a million times. Btw, did you know that Hollywood producers often use a Kurosawa quote to defend themselves when questioned on their sometimes dubious editing choices (trial audiences, I forget the term)?

"You should only make films that people want to see", or something along those lines.

James Clavell's King Rat and Shogun are imo brilliant, Tai-Pan is good and Noble House is bad. With Noble House he tries to connect all his previous novels and does a rather poor job (imo of course) of incorporating espionage and big business in the story.

For a great historical novel that has some elements of WW2 in it I cannot recommend Len Deighton's "Winter" enough. A German family history from 1899-1945. I must confess to being a huge Len deighton fan, "Bomber" is the best WW2 airwar novel I've ever read.

If you are able to get hold of "Declarations of War", a collection of short stories, you definately should.

Sorry for the rant.

------------------

Geier

"The succesful execution of a well devised plan often looks like luck to saps."

Dashiell Hammett

ME! --begins raising hand-- oh, that's right, I've got a Mac frown.gif

------------------