offensive action

Michael**

Lets say i try charge on a few MechInf companies

with a reinforced MechBtl(3 APC companies , 1 Tank company, antitank-platoon and support units(air def, observers etc).

+ I don't know where their FBEA is

How do I arrange my troops?

How strong should a decoy attack be?

What should I use for protecting my flanks?

How deep could I penetrate enemy territory(medium resistance)?

If all you know about the enemy is they're "a few companies", and don't know where the FEBA is the best force structure would probably Recon, followed by some RECON, with some supporting RECON behind that. It depends (in TacOps) mainly on what kind of terrain you're in. Also what kind of anti-armour capability your inf/APCs have.

For a force that size I'd use maybe 2 or 3 pltns of inf. as a Recon-in-force/diversion/feint. Big enough to conduct counter-recon, and if used well might look like a larger force. Small enough to get out from under arty without heavy casualties, or the enemy might think it to be your main recce effort, and just let you through, hoping to ambush the main force. By about the eighth recon vehicle, he'll probably get wise to you, but by then it's too late.

If you don't expect much anti-armour fire you could try leading with tanks carrying infantry, while your APCs and anti-armour teams overwatch. But amroured units moving in the open tend to die very quickly in TacOps, so only do this VERY CAREFULLY.

More often I just saturate as many likely enemy positions as possible with arty, and leave the tanks as overwatch and rush to the nearest possible (or known) enemy position with the infantry companies mounted. And move all of your platoons at once. Once you commit to an attack, its a good idea to go full bore (within reason, of course), because they can only kill units so fast, and moving everyone at once limits their exposure.

Skirting close to terrain features (that you know are cleared of enemy) keeps at least one side clear of enemy troops. If you can't clear the terrain features first, use Arty as you go by. Also, if you take fire, you can (hopefull) get away by ducking into the trees/into the valley/onto the hill to break LOS.

I like to break up tank companies into platoons and assign them one or two per inf. co.

And keep your observers/spotters well clear (around 1-2km) of your attacking forces. That way if they get spotted and hit with arty your main force is okay, and if your main force gets hammered, your observers don't need to die with them. But it also means that your back-up is close when your recon sees something. And if your recon dies, the enemy won't have a lot of time to move before the main force gets there. Even if your spotter is dead, "the trail is still warm".

You can't get much more specific without knowing the terrain/enemy/what exactly you want to do. How deep you can penetrate depends on your frontage and enemy disposition. And where your AD units are depends on whether he has helos or not. If he has helos, I like to keep the AD guys with the tail-end recon units (I love to pick off recon with choppers, so I try not to let it happen against me).

Anyone else have suggestions? Criticisms? Ideas for a MechBn vs. Unknown?

I'm not sure you suggested enough recon. smile.gif

If you've no idea of what or where the enemy force is, then you need to treat everything in front of you as potentially infested or watched. The bad guys may have arranged for small numbers of infantry groups to spot for arty to rain on you for the next 10k....

Use small groups - single vehicles - as your lead units, overwatch extensively, and proceed slowly, ready to whomp anything that turns up, or to run for cover if the skies open with ICM.

Lets see if i got it right:

I use small units (even single vehicles)

for recon,with enough firepower behind them to knock out spotters/screening forces. ?

I have to move(ideal) in cleared(of enemy) terrain,ready to head for cover. ?

Of course using "fire&movement" :D

When I have to take terrain I go with full force, not piece by piece. ?

thanx alot. I will try it that way.

When I improved,you could tell me something about

"meeting engagements" smile.gif

You didn't say what the objective is.

Is the defended terrain itself the objectve?

Or the destruction of the enemy forces on the map?

Or is your goal to overcome this belt and move on with sufficient force?

Are there valuable prices on the map behind the defenders that you want to take?