And now for something important...

Recently got a girlfriend (after 4 weeks I can call her that, right?).

Anyway, the other night I simply had to play some email-turns while she was around.

"Can I watch?"

"Sure. Here's the replay of the turn we both have been plotting, with me?"

"Yep"

(starting playback)

"You see, here's a tank firing while advancing"

(BIG sigh from girlfriend).

OK, I think to myself, it was from top-down view, so I choose "3" to see action a bit closer...

"But it's all blocky and stuffy, do you really think this is fun??"

"Well darling, ehhh, actually yes..."

At this point I understood I had lost the "discussion".

Gentlemen - anyone care to share a tip on how to get girl at least partway interested?

[This message has been edited by Stefan Fredriksson (edited 11-20-2000).]

I haven't actually tried this but I think it will work. You have to take her hostage and put her under extreme sleep deprivation. About 30 hours worth is usually adequate. Then you tape her eyes wide open and make her play qb's for about 8 hours. Then you start her on the original scenarios. Then advance to operations. If it doesn't "take" you repeat the whole process 1 more time. If that doesn't work get a new girlfriend. Try to pick one that is susceptible to brainwashing from the get go.

Depends on your girlfriend's interests.

My girlfriend is very anti-violence in her view on games and sports and such, so I used the other approach; intelligence.

CM is a game of whits, where the goal is to outsmart your opponent. The occasional outbursts of violence in the game are just one of the means to determine and evaluate success. Just like a game of chess, but with a touch of randomness.

Now my girlfriend enjoy a hotseat game once in a while. smile.gif

Cheers

Olle

Get a dog. They don't ask dumb question, they sleep while your playing CM, and dog treats cost less than diamonds. wink.gif

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

Take girlfriend back to Girlfriend Acquisition Office, fill out form AF-553 in triplicate (Defective Girlfriend Report Form), get form AF-6678 (Girlfriend Replacement Form) signed by an officer or PBEM opponent, and exchange her for an upgrade or less defective model. Upon receipt of new girlfriend proceed to evaluation and acceptance trials, then use AF-6223 for final acceptance.

Now here's the sneaky bit. Should you decide that other than the small flaw, you preferred the original issue, fill out AF-883 (Sections 5-12) refusing the new girlfriend and you can reclaim the original, which should have had its defect fixed by that point.

I tell you what.. I'll send one of my tanks out where you can shoot it so that she can be supportive and proud of your endeavours. She will have no interest in a loser!

Manic Moran

------------------

The difference between infantrymen and cavalrymen is that cavalrymen get to die faster, for we ride into battle!

Originally posted by Stefan Fredriksson:

Recently got a girlfriend (after 4 weeks I can call her that, right?).

Anyway, the other night I simply had to play some email-turns while she was around.

"Can I watch?"

"Sure. Here's the replay of the turn we both have been plotting, with me?"

"Yep"

(starting playback)

"You see, here's a tank firing while advancing"

(BIG sigh from girlfriend).

OK, I think to myself, it was from top-down view, so I choose "3" to see action a bit closer...

"But it's all blocky and stuffy, do you really think this is fun??"

"Well darling, ehhh, actually yes..."

At this point I understood I had lost the "discussion".

Gentlemen - anyone care to share a tip on how to get girl at least partway interested?

Yeah....tell her your LAST girlfriend LOVED this game. wink.gif

I have a Wife and Dog

The wife just puts up with CM

but the Dog is more loyal and sleeps at my feet while I play.

I would not try too hard to get the new girl friend involved, just tell you love her but you are facsinated by WW II military history and don't stress the "video game thing" too much.

good luck

-tom w