Idea for a new unit in CM2

I am not sure about the historical acuracy but wouldnt it be great if they had K9 units in the game. They could find hidding troops and bark a warning to the rest of the troops even detect mines. But anyway i am getting ahead of myself so tell me what you think.

This, along with dogs with bombs, will be implemented in CM6:Beyond Pavlov.

------------------

You wouldn't know the dust of Thermopylae if it came up to you, handed you a business card reading "Dust of Thermopylae, 480 B.C.E.", then kicked you in the shins.

-Hakko Ichiu

The Russians did try to train demolition equipped dogs to run under the German tanks during the early stages of the Eastern Front campaign.

Trouble was, the dogs not only ran under the German tanks, but under the Soviet tanks, the General's field car, and Farmer Boris' favorite horse-drawn cart as well!

This idea was soon scrapped!

Mace

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dman225:

I am not sure about the historical acuracy but wouldnt it be great if they had K9 units in the game. They could find hidding troops and bark a warning to the rest of the troops even detect mines. But anyway i am getting ahead of myself so tell me what you think. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ain't gonna happen.

Now obviously hamsters will be in CM2.

Maybe gerbils.

But dogs? No. They just weren't used that much.

I hope they use Hamsters since they have more dark meat on em.

Bravo Meeks, Mortiis, Phoenix and Formerly Babra.

Meeks for making me LOL, Mortiis for pointing an oh so vague finger at the old thread, Phoenix for his correct assertion and reasoning why dogs of whatever kind are not rodents and therefore will not be in any CM whatsoever, and Formerly< Babra for not answering to such a pointless thread as thisone.

noncool points for mace, however. You atre obviously confusing this with the ill-fated attempt to turn hamsters into AT weapons. Thousands of the little furry animals were squished, perishing in an agonizing but quick death in attempts to turn them into tank killers by mounting a backpack T-Mine onto them. The russians finally figured that it would need several hamsters glued under a single T-Mine to have a still somewhat questionable AT asset. The construction soon gave a whole new meaning to the term "live mine". Indeed the "minefields with a thousand feet", as they were called by the stunned germans, played a decisive role at Kursk.

My apologies,

Australia is a 'Hamster free' country, and the contribution that they made to the allied victory in WW2 completely slipped my mind!

Perhaps the dogs were an intelligence decoy (not to be confused with an intelligent decoy)?

Mace

Guest Big Time Software

The serious answer, that does not involve hamsters, is that dogs were not used on the battlefield in ways that would be even remotely correct for CM to simulate. Even the dog/mine experiment will not be simulated in CM2. We might simulate flying sewing machines though wink.gif

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

The serious answer, that does not involve hamsters...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve,

This is a complete and utter oxymoron. Even a capybara strung out on some Castanedian jungle alkaloid knows that there is no true answer that disregards, disrespects, disabuses or otherwise dis'es Hamsterkind.

I had thought better of you, and for once in my life I am wrong. Ah, well, corrective measures will soon be taken. Watch out the next time you hop in the Weasel.

Professor Doktor Hamster X

Generalissimo and President-for-Life

Hamster Liberation Front

1-800-HAMSTER

Whatever We Do, We Do It For Youâ„¢

Guest Germanboy

We might simulate flying sewing machines though wink.gif

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hah! Caught you out again. According to my grandfather (who was there) the Russians never used either dogs, hamsters or sewing machines for CAS, but small-sized rodents: Rats. And only those.

Serious note: on various pictures of his involving downed Russian planes, he always identifies them as 'Rata'. Seems to have been as generic as the GIs' 'Tiger!' for anything German with tracks.

------------------

Andreas

Guest Big Time Software

Andreas, there is no fooling you smile.gif Correct, sewing machines were only used to keep the Germans awake late at night, and were not used for CAS missions. I put that in there as a test within a test. You passed both tests biggrin.gif

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mace:

The Russians did try to train demolition equipped dogs to run under the German tanks during the early stages of the Eastern Front campaign.

Trouble was, the dogs not only ran under the German tanks, but under the Soviet tanks, the General's field car, and Farmer Boris' favorite horse-drawn cart as well!

This idea was soon scrapped!

Mace<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Easy on the Boris jokes (just kidding)

Big Time Software wrote:

Correct, sewing machines were only used to keep the Germans awake late at night, and were not used for CAS missions.

But they did use a lot of agricultural machines for CAS missions. Scared the hell out of defenders when a combination harvester swooped over their heads.

- Tommi

(Explanatory note for those that don't know Finnish military jargon: The official designation for CAS planes was "maataistelukone" ("ground fighting plane") but the men in front lines preferred to use "maatalouskone" ("agricultural plane/machine"), instead.)

wasn't the Po-2 also one of the most produced aircraft ever?

btw the germans also used phased-out aircraft like the He-46 and later the Hs-126 for such missions.

if the russians are not going to have their Po-2night nuisance bombers, I demand that the germans are given equal treatment and are not going to have their He-46 and Hs-126 represented!

sewing machines were only used to keep the Germans awake late at night<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the bonus is that you wouldn't need to code the shadow of the aircraft crossing the landscape! wink.gif

Err, unless you account for full moons in the algorithms!

Mace

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

... the Russians never used either dogs, hamsters or sewing machines for CAS, but small-sized rodents: Rats. And only those.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard about this too. The idea came up after some rats (or was it mice?) had gnawn off wires in some Soviet tanks, causing short circuits and engine fires.

After some experimentation and training they got an escadre of AT rats that were air dropped over German tank laagers. It was quite effective until the Germans came up with the ultimate anti rat weapon; cats...

Cheers

Olle

Olle Petersson wrote:

I've heard about this too. The idea came up after some rats (or was it mice?) had gnawn off wires in some Soviet tanks, causing short circuits and engine fires.

And you should also not forget the penultimate US weapon: flying bat-bombs ("Holy flying bat-bombs, Batman").

The idea was to strap a diminutive incendiary charge to a live bat and then drop a host of them over an enemy city. The bats would then find some nice dark (and dry) hiding place in some attic before bursting in flames some hours later.

I seem to remember that a few loaded bats escaped during initial tests and burned down a couple of sheds in the area.

- Tommi

The mice were actually Russian "sabotage mice"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"The 22nd Panzer division, being a reserve formation, had been starved of fuel, and during its long period of immobility, mice had sought shelter from the weather inside the hulls. They had gnawed through the insulation of electric cables and no replacements were immediately available" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From Stalingrad by Antony Beevor. Explaining why the 22nd Pz Div only had 30 tanks to try and halt the Russian offensive around Stalingrad

Actually the US "batbomb" tests were scrapped after it was found that dropping bats from 25,000 feet caused them to A) die of hypoxia, or B) freeze to death.

Since they would only drop straight down after results a or b, it was decided that elminating the bats and simply dropping the thermite bombs themselves would suffice.

(Just an FYI) biggrin.gif

------------------

Pzvg

"Murphy's law of combat #10, never forget your weapon is made by the lowest bidder

Of COURSE!!!! At last NOW i know why the Germans suddenly started naming new tanks after Large Cats!!!!! smile.gif

Kevin

After some experimentation and training they got an escadre of AT rats that were air dropped over German tank laagers. It was quite effective until the Germans came up with the ultimate anti rat weapon; cats...