GERMAN TANKS....TANKS ANYWAY :)

Guest Capt_Manieri

Guest Capt_Manieri

I would like to know about this abreviation:

what does "Stu III" mean?

Personally, (given I never play as axis-I'm no traitor) I don't know why they drive these things. They don't have a rotating turret. Enemies will get the first shot at you usually. Don''t call the stu III a "german tank" call it a "german coffin"

Those of you who are having trouble with Chance Encounter I suggest you use the German's disadvantage to your advantage.....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Don''t call the stu III a "german tank" call it a "german coffin"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suggest you wander over to the "Hero's Corner" at CMHQ. "German coffin" indeed. I reakity, the StuGs and Jagdpanzers were extremely effective... now the Sherman is another story... Ronsol anyone?

Aye, my StuG in the heroe's corner (Unt Poppe's) has now been upgraded due to his butchery of the last Sherman.

He now killed 4 Shermans in only 20 minutes or so. Barkmann eat your heart out wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Capt_Manieri

I don't understand how everyone is losing their shermans to these "stationed turret hunks of metal" !!!! I don't see it. Given the M-4 sucks, I still beat Chance encounter with 4 Shermans left. The other sherman I lost to a Panzergrenadier group.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I don't understand how everyone is losing their shermans to these "stationed turret hunks of metal" !!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are low to the ground "hunks of metal," mounting a gun that is vastly superior to the piece of crap on the Sherman and they usually have much better trained crews.

I know its fun to Badmouth Shermans, And I'll admit that their anti-tank capabilities leave something to be desired (understatement of the year)... but I've found sherman to be awsome anti-personel vehicals if used right (i.e, farther than 150 meters from the opponent)... they carry far more HE munitians than their equiviolent German counterparts, and their two MG's do wonders at keeping enemy heads down.

Stick 3 Shermans on a hill overlooking enemy troop units (and be sure there are no stugs around), and their limited glory really does shine through.

Stug's I found to be the opposite, Great anti-tank (low profile, powerful gun)... but I've run out of HE WAY to many times in stugs, plus their lack of a turret means its easy to sneak Zooks in for side shots, so I definately don't consider them Idealy suited for anti personnel (Tigers seem cool with that Hermiwhatchmachalit granade thing, but the only tiger we have played with has limited HE rounds, so its usefullness against fortified troops is somewhat limited)

I dunno, just my experience

-EridanMan

Eridani: that was the greatest spelling of "Nahverteidigungswaffe" that I've ever seen!!! I have to admit that many Germans (me included) love sticking as many words as possible together to form one BIG and LONG word. :)

nah - close

Verteidigung - defense

Waffe - weapon

the 's' is included for grammatical reasons

(don't ask me which, it just has to be there)

cu

Guest Capt_Manieri

Hey, Knaust, I'll play ya on ICQ......if you have it. Your gonna have to show my how to run a PBEM game, because I don't know how to do. But, I warn you...I'll seriously out-flank your tanks and because they don't have a rotating turret.

LOL. If you beat Knaust I'll take you on Manieri..

Chance Encounter, I'll be Germans, you be US. On the off chance you beat Knaust (which I find highly unlikely) I think I'll have to win some grog pride back wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Guest Stabsfeldwebel

Now now now fionn smile.gif I'll play ya anytime, my record is something like 8-1, the 1 being the first time i played a real opponent on chance encounter (can you say different tactics against a human?).

You pick german or allied, your choice, i've got "little tricks" for either smile.gif

Then you have to give me a game sometime when you aren't too busy. I still have to set my benchmark to acheive.

I got the Captain set up on a PBEM with me earlier today to give him something else to do but harass you fellas, so I will tell you how it goes. Luck can shine on a 16 yr old to so I won't make any bogus predictions.

------------------

desert rat wannabe

Guest Stabsfeldwebel

Hehe interesting, with all these PBEM matches Fionn is the ultimate goal. If you beat him then truly you have conquered the best smile.gif

Definently think we should get a league type thing going as in that other guys post.

Yeah, we should do that...... smile.gif Fionn will be like Bowser in world 8 on Mario Bros. Tsang Shung in Mortal Kombat. To beat him will truly define a warrior.

Goddamit. Fionn I want a piece of you PBEM butt!!! biggrin.gif Come and get me before I get you!!!!

Goanna,

Ah, but do you REALLY think I'm going to post EVERYTHING that I use wink.gif ?

Nope, simply because a lot of what goes on goes on in one's head and is spur of the moment type playing.

Anyways, as for the ladder.. Well, I'm going to see what I can do about that real soon. The ominous phrase "I'm entering talks with some people" comes up wink.gif. We'll see how they turn out wink.gif.

I wouldn't mind playing the US in Riesberg.. I've only played them once and wouldn't mind having a go...

I do have space for one game though. I'll be the US in Riesberg. Anyone willing to do it must be willing to do an AAR though as I've really gotten into the spirit of doing AARs for games but the AAR planned for the previous game where I was the US fell through frown.gif.

First come first served basis, although I won't play certain people from the forum for obvious reasons.

Rules:

We play with full knowledge of the forces available to each side and the initial setup zones. I don't want to hamstring myself when my opponent isn't so I'd rather we both just use ever edge possible and acknowledge this.

Whoever wishes to play me must be able to do one turn per day. Believe it or not I still have 2 email games going which started 2 or more months ago and I'd like to finish this one as quickly as possible.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Guest Capt_Manieri

HEY FIONN, HEY FIONN!!

I'll play you. I've got a lot of e-mail games going right now, and I'm doing pretty well. I usually don't play as the Germans, but for the chance to play you, I'll make an exception. Send me the set up and we'll get to work... biggrin.gif

Guest scurlock

My two cents on the StuG. The reason the Germans produced 7893 StuG III G's were multifold. 1) The chasis of the StuG III is the PZIII. The PZIII became obsolete on the eastern front with the increasing availability of the Russian T34, and on the Western front with the introducton of the Sherman (some may even argue the Grant). The reason for obsolescense was the turret ring was too small to install a high velocity 75mm gun.

2) Turretless vehicles are less complicated, and cheaper to make than turreted vehicles.

3) German resourses were spread way too thin, and the need for new armored vehicles way to high to allow the German tank industry the luxury of retooling entire factories to build new, more modern chassis than the PZIII chasis.

Solution: By converting the chasis into an asault gun instead of a tank you can fit a bigger gun into the vehicle. The life of the vehicle is therby extended, and costly and time consuming retooling can be delayed.