Pearl Harbour - The Movie

I was sitting in the theatre waiting for the X-Men movie (not bad), and there was this preview that made me wish I was watching that movie.

It started with a bunch of Jap fighter/bombers flying through a valley where american kids are playing outside, then we see a shot of about 30 planes in tight formation...it looke amazing.

Then we have a voiceover of Roosevelts address to the congress after the attack on peal harbour, and the scene shows the actual attack....

Just that preview made me all tingly...wow..i hope that wasnt "the best scenes" type of preview, cause that short bit made me totally forget where i was.

Its not out until May 2001 (in time for CM-the pacific theatre?), but wow, it looked amazing. Anyone else seen it?

Guest dirkd1976

Looks neat huh? GO check out www.darkhorizons.com for more info.

Also you can look at:

www.aint-it-cool-news.com

www.corona.bc.ca/films/mainFramed.html

You will probably have to search these last two sites for news on the movie, but I know I have seen some info about it on both of them. Good luck! smile.gif

------------------

Never mistake motion for action - Ernest Hemingway

It's my understanding that "they" are going to "Titanicify" Pearl Harbor. That is make a cool movie and RUIN IT with some sniveling chick-flick love story all entwined within it to add more appeal to the other 50% who pay to see movies.

I loved Titanic. Every part except the insignificant plot line involving that one guy and that dizzy rich chick...The rest was great!

Heaven help us, not another Fighter-pilot- falls-in-love-with-a-nurse-who-loves-some-other-dogface-while-the-Nips-are-attacking movie. Just what we need. Hopefully the CG will be cool enough to make up for it. I can never see too many Zekes in the sky at one time.

Zamo

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zamo:

Heaven help us, not another Fighter-pilot- falls-in-love-with-a-nurse-who-loves-some-other-dogface-while-the-Nips-are-attacking movie. Just what we need. Hopefully the CG will be cool enough to make up for it. I can never see too many Zekes in the sky at one time.

Zamo<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wouldn't be the first time such a thing was done, Zamo. Recall the TV miniseries "Pearl" of the late-70's? Dennis Weaver & Angie Dickenson among others vying for an award at worst acting performance?

From my view, it's hard to top "Tora Tora Tora" in telling the Pearl Harbor story, even though that was made 30 years ago. I have my concerns that this latest planned effort will fall short too.

Guest herbjorn

Is it true that the Japanese declearation of war was handed over 1h before the attack on Pearl Harbor, but because of translation problems, it could not be read in time to act?

The Pearl Harbour movie is being brought to you by that talentless crew Jerry Bruckheimer and director Michael Bay. I hate them with a passion. They would 'Patriot'ize the story of Pearl Harbour.

I thought 'Tora Tora Tora' was ok in the TV movie of the week sense. Also had Mifune, who is always good.

'From Here to Eternity' is a good film but isn't a historical document.

I don't think the definitive Pearl Harbour film has been made and I suspect this upcoming one will be little more than outrageously staged special effects.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by herbjorn:

Is it true that the Japanese declearation of war was handed over 1h before the attack on Pearl Harbor, but because of translation problems, it could not be read in time to act?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe it was the other way around. 1hour AFTER the attack. No matter, Roosevelt knew about it all the time, he just chose to ignore it so he had an ironclad excuse to enter the war. My empathy goes out the the Admiral who had to take the fall for Roosevelts plan.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Yeah, there seems to be this sick obsession in hollywood for quite

sometime to take otherwise interesting subjects or classic characters

and put them on the big screen while soiling them with the obligatory

girl-acting-like-slut-passed-off-as-true-romance scenes. I, for one, am

very tired of it and if this is the best that hollywood can do for very

worthy subjects, then I certainly won't be paying money to go to

the theater to see them.

It's really a shame, too. With all the great special effects

that can be done today, they are being largely wasted on trash

movies with idiotic stories that don't do any justice to the original

material. Being a Tolkien fan, my current biggest fear for upcoming

movies is the new Lord of the Rings live-action movie. God only

knows what horrors they might have in store for the serious fans of that

great author. It's really gonna hurt if they butcher that one up. frown.gif

Agh! Not another "history wasn't all that interesting, so let's throw in some romance" movie... I enjoy watching Midway, even with the subplot of Charlton Heston's son and the Japanese-American girl. At least there was a WHOLE lot of planes, shooting and tense decision-making. I personally don't understand why "they" always have to try to make current movies palatable for the female viewership. Why not just make an old-fashioned shoot-em-up, like Sands of Iwo Jima or Kelly's Heroes? I haven't gone to see a movie since Episode 1, mainly b/c there hasn't been anything that looked remotely interesting to me. All these "modern" special effects driven movies are really kind of boring, in my opinion.

Anyways, I better stop before I REALLY start ranting... wink.gif

------------------

In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit. -- M.M.

Lords of the Ring-

I heard about that a while back and was excited. Hoping they would be able to pull it off but now realize was just having pipe dreams. I think they are going to ruin that.

Too bad. I just hope it doesn't turn into some matrix movie or something, where everyone likes it just cause it's "cool!"

I've seen a picture from when they were filming Two Towers with Liv Tyler riding horse back with a hobbit. The hobbit looks great but I don't remember any human women in the story that played a big part until Return of the King.

I think I've seen a preview of that Pearl Harbor movie and was excited but then reminded of who was filming it: Hollywood.

Liked "Tora, Tora, Tora" for it's even-handed treatment of the Japanese side of the story --- gotta admit, I was pulling for 'em to nail a couple of battle-wagons there at the end.

This new "Hollywood" version... Well, it stars Kevin Costner. What more do you have to know? Tho, I must say I was impressed with the CGI work in the trailer: Finally, some real "live" Kates, Vals, and Zeros! I'll prolly go see it just for the last 15 minutes of action...

And, JW: Liv Tyler plays an elf in the upcoming "Rings" trilogy.

Why make another Pearl film? It's been done

enough already and, like the previous posts,

with hollywood involved, it'll probably suck.

I am looking forward to the Lord of the Rings--with guarded optimism. I don't remember many female elf characters--I thought the hobbit might be riding with Eowyn of the Rohirrim. Chris

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

Actually, I think that the Japanese plan was to declare war about an hour to half an hour before the attack (to make it nice and legal), but, problems in timing resulted in war being decalred after the attack. The Japanese hoped that the Americans would assume that any attack would be on the Philippines, so, even after war was declared the forces at Pearl would not be on full alert (which would have probably happened).

It would have been interesting if Japan had suceeded in getting off its declaration of war before the attack, as, the attack would have probably been just as successful, but, the Americans wouldn't have the excuse to go mideval on Japan because of a sneak attack.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>No matter, Roosevelt knew about it all the time, he just chose to ignore it so he had an ironclad excuse to enter the war. My empathy goes out the the Admiral who had to take the fall for Roosevelts plan.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

{sigh} I don't want to get into all this again except to say ... Prove it.

Joe

You've echoed my sentiments too, Joe. I try to keep an open mind on the Pearl Harbor "conspiracy theory", but no one's successfully connected the dots for me.

Actually, I am far more interested in this "Lord of The Rings" movie coming up that others on this topic thread have pointed out about.

For an excellent and thourough analysis of the events leading up to the surprise sneak attack on Pearl harbor, read the book, At Dawn We Slept. Sorry, can't recall the author at the moment.

In short, while there were numerous signs of an impending Japanese declaration of war and even a possible move against Pearl Harbor, these threats were never taken seriously. Many people in Army and Navy intelligence, as well as the War Department, missed these warning signs. However, there is NO convincing evidence that FDR himself knew ahead of time the Japanese were about to attack Pearl Harbor.

I won't speak to the conspiracy angle but I believe that it was clear to intelligence that the U.S. and Japan were headed on a head on collision over dominance in the Pacific. The war could have come in weeks or months but there was no way Japan would have compromised its goals in Asia to meet U.S. demands for security. That the fleet in Pearl Harbour wasn't ready for an attack was, in my estimation, a credit to Japan's ambitious plan, regardless of whether the ultimatum was made on time or not. One hour, three hours, would not have made much of a difference. If, however, the Japanese fleet was sighted anywhere along the way a day's warning could have gotten some of the U.S. fleet out to sea. What would the Japanese have done if the gig was clearly up and the U.S. fleet put to sea? Would they have hastily withdrawn their plans for opening the war? Diverted to Guam or Midway? Tried to corral the U.S. fleet anyway?

[This message has been edited by Disaster@work (edited 07-21-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Disaster@work (edited 07-21-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

{sigh} I don't want to get into all this again except to say ... Prove it.

Joe<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe, if I could prove, don't you think others could have as well? Others much smarter than me? I cannot prove it and you know it. But I feel better thinking it was a conspiracy than chalking it up to just plain incompetence. All the evidence I've seen to date points to the fact that we knew (and the Brits as well) that Pearl Harbor was going to be attacked. I cannot prove we intentionally ignored that evidence nor can you prove that we were that incompetent. So I guess we agree to disagree and I'll drop it. Later

p.s., I'm more interested in the Lord of the Rings movie as well smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I cannot prove we intentionally ignored that evidence nor can you prove that we were that incompetent. So I guess we agree to disagree and I'll drop it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hah, I have LOTS of proof that MANY US military leaders were incompetent smile.gif And I didn't mean that the way it sounded, of course you can't prove it nor can I disprove it. I prefer to believe (and of course I think the evidence supports) that there was a lot of incompetence rather than believe that a US President whom I admire would deliberately let that happen and do NOTHING. Mind you, Franklin was a Machiavellian S.O.B. smile.gif

For the record, I don't think any of the evidence shows that we knew Pearl Harbor was going to be attacked. We certainly had good evidence that an attack might occur SOMEPLACE at SOMETIME, and certainly someone should have figured out that Pearl was a good target. And certainly someone should have remembered Admiral Togo and the Japanese propensity for undeclared attacks. And certainly someone should have remembered the British attack on Taranto ... but that's not good evidence of a conspiracy. Someone once said that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and I don't see that in this case. I don't even see good evidence of a conspiracy.

But I agree that we can certainly disagree on the subject.

And I'm sure I'll go to see the movies, both Pearl Harbor and Lord of the Rings ... hoping against hope ...

Joe

Not that this topic has been beaten to death, but we should all realize that we (the USA) had such a feeling of superiority over the Japanese- "They could never possibly hurt us" kind of thing, that although we figured that war was coming (and the Philippines would be attacked), we figured it would only last a few months, we'd sortie our fleet into the Mandates, meet the Japanese fleet, defeat them, and end the war.

(Wow, that's a run-on sentence wink.gif

No one knew exactly how effective carrier warfare was going to be, therefore, the Admiralty discounted the idea that Pearl (or any real warship) could be sunk by carrier aircraft. A lot of mistakes were made at the beginning of WWII, but luckily things turned out ok at the end.