Sturmtiger, CMBO or never?!

Guest Rollstoy

Guest Rollstoy

If I am not wrong, the Sturmtiger fits only into the timeframe and theatre of CMBO! Since I bet that it is too much effort to add a Sturmtiger in a patch, I am afraid we will never encounter a Sturmtiger in Combat Mission!

May it rest proudly and in peace!

Regards, Thomm

Fenris, you are correct about the number of Sturmtigers. 18 were built by Alkett between August and December 1944.

One was used in the Warsaw uprising, seven were used in the Ardennes, and a fair amount were used along the Rhine in various skirmishes. Particular locations that come to mind are Drolshaven and Bonn.

Rgds

------------------

PTG

Rollstoy,

the Sturmtiger was originally on the vehicles list, but due to time restraints, the lesser important vehicles were left out.

especially much of the German HT.

BTS said they may add vehicles in a future patch. Personally I hope for the my beloved Brumbär :)

S.

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

SP:WAW has Stug IG with a 150mm that I think was the precurser to the Brumbar/Sturmtiger. It is really nice. Has about the same armor in the game as Stug42 which I end up using a lot in CM, man I run out of those Hollow charges fast.

I stumbled across a web page the other day where a WWII US Army tanker was recounting coming up against a sturmtiger with a group of Shermans and how it engaged them, taking out two shermans with one near miss...I'd love to see it as well as the Brumbar in a future add on. I have some neat pictures of the one at Sinsheim. Incredible vehicle.

Zamo

Guest Rollstoy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>BTS said they may add vehicles in a future patch<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That would be mighty cool! Especially as a kind of paint-yourself model with blank textures. I mean, since it is for free, who would complain?! And they would save themselves the trouble of making the paint-job.

BUT the problem with the Sturmtiger is that it is a very specialized weapon system that will need it's own unique AI. Kind of an artillery observer with personal gun. He should not simply aim it a isolated tanks, but at troop concentrations. And other tanks would have to protect it! I do not think there is anything comparable in the arsenal right now ...

Regards, Thomm

What is all this talk of a patch? Steve already said they plan

on an expansion pack (those are the kind you pay for smile.gif ) for CM that

will have the rare and exotic vehicles that they didn't have time to get

into CM in time for the release date. It will also have more scenarios

and operations. Plus, I'm sure it will incorporate the very

latest patch with the latest enhancements and tweaks that Charles can

whip up. smile.gif

I'm *very* much looking forward to this expansion pack and the

cool new vehicles. The one I most want to see is the ultra cool

Kugelblitz. biggrin.gif

The Sturmtiger's rate of fire was aprox. 1 shot every 12 minutes when operated by an experienced crew.(front-loader it is) You couldn't use up the 13 rounds it carried in one CM battle.

Hell, even the Karl (60cm self propelled mortar) had a higher rate of fire.

Interesting and fun? Yes.

Useful? Don't think so.

------------------

visit lindan.panzershark.com

member of the Combat Mission webring

I'd like to hear from BTS as to their openness on 3rd party mods for CM. I know we can make new textures but will they supply independant mod-makers with enough information on CM to add new vehicles or structures?

This way a team could add the Sturmtigers, French Resistance or Rangers. BTS could create an approval process (i.e. Madmatt and Fionn) to keep the O.G.R.E., M1A2 and 20CM railgun out.

I think they want to avoid a situation where every man and his dog have different mods, adaptions, addons and patches. In the end it would end up pretty confusing trying to work out who had what when you played them and so on. Also it might make the game look bad as people crack it open and turn it into something completely different.

I know constant patching and updating drove me nuts with games like Quake. Every time i came to play online I had to download something new and it just iritated.

PeterNZ

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lee:

I doubt it, Steve and Charles likely want to handle all new vehicle

and building implementation. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lee has that right. IIRC, there have been official statements by Steve or Charles to the fact that vetting submissions would be about as time-consuming as just doing them inhouse. So this will not happen. You can do a search, or wait for us to put it in the FAQ.

Note to self, must finish contribution to that one.

------------------

Andreas

IIRC, BTS also used some proprietary software to make the 3D models. I can fully understand them not wanting to open this up to the public.

(It would be nice, though, if there was someone doing more vehicles for a future patch/expansion biggrin.gif )

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)