Assistant Moderators needed ASAP!

You know why.

I'm sure that some may be willing to volunteer w/o payment just so they have some authority and can ban/lock when Steve/Charles/deputy mod aren't around. I would really hate for this board to get shut down or cencored just because some punk kid was having a little fun while nobody could do anything.

------------------

Ah scheist.

When an offensive thread is locked up, I don't understand why it is not ERASED from the forum; I believe that some people have fun posting trash, and it's difficult to resist going to see what all the fuss is about, and that may cause the noise to increase.

Henri

henri, not oper se, but basically I agree with you, that _some_ threads who got locked up should also be _deleted_ for the very same reason they were locked up.

I think many people here feel that way, there's nothing to be gained from leaving those threads around.

BTS/moderators, if it is possible to delete them, I personally would really like to see them removed.##yours sincerely,

M.Hofbauer

------------------

"Please fix!!! or do somefink" (CPT S.)

I think it could be bad to erase threads. Sometimes(!) they actually contain interesting discussions (which later degenerate into flamewars).

I´m not talking about blatant offensive posts like those we have seen recently but about discussions that get out of hand fore some reason.

The idea of erasing threads gives me a slight 1984-feeling. "No that has never happened. We have always been at war with Oceania."

This looks like the right place for a long-simmering rant:

The headers on a message board say a LOT about that BBS. Look at our headers now.

Is that JP's fault? Only a little.

It is in large part the result of the righteous majority, who cannot control the knee-jerk reaction to tell off a pimply 12-year-old skinhead dewd, otherwise known as FEEDING A TROLL, and pushing these stupid headers back to the top.

The HIGHLY righteous even start new threads dedicated to extending and prolonging the pointless flamewars, and insuring that negative political headers stay at the top of the BBS.

In most of the multi-page flamefests, there are about 4-5 posts from the witless troll, and 3 full pages of sanctimonious Troll Chow, from YOU, my friends, the CM and BBS faithful.

Every time you feel compelled to post your brave stance against Nazism and your intolerance for all that is intolerant, you PUSH THE HATEFUL BILE RIGHT BACK TO THE TOP!

How stupid is that? Can't spot a troll? First week on the internet? Out to save the world?

Do you feel a warm, smug sense of pride after clicking Submit, the BBS equivalent of throwing your food wrappers out the car window? Do you think that ANY teenager (or Nazi) has been dissuaded from stupid ideas by a half-page counter-rant on the internet?

And now, because of OUR OWN lack of restraint, and the unwillingness to pause and consider consequences 30 seconds into the future, we have calls for censorship and moderation.

So to stamp out Nazis, we become...?

By the way, some of the most interesting threads on this board were eventually closed, due to events which had nothing to do with 90% of their content. I am totally against the purges advocated here.

I would support banning the word "Nazi" in the header of a message. Headers are more important than you think- they create an atmosphere.

That's about it.

I've been avoiding this flame war business but old timers are dropping like flies here so I'll say a few things: 1)"Don't feed the trolls."

2) "Don't get your panties in a bunch."

If something genually offends you please take it up in private. Who knows you may save yourself or the offending party some embarasment and get a much more civil and articulate responce than you would performiong a public attack/counter attack.

3) Please avoid putting people into boxes by labeling them. It's gust gasoline on the flames.

Just my two cents.

P.S. This board has gotten over flame fests before, and will again.

------------------

He who gets there the fastest with the mostest wins.

Mark IV-

JP's name wasn't even mentioned in this thread until you showed up, now that's something to think about. Borderline hypocritical IMHO.

The only thing that I'm suggesting is that the board be monitered 24 hours a day. This would not be a problem if shifts were shared between a dozen or so people. It wouldn't change things much as 99% of the people around here are very respectful and cautious about what they post.

------------------

Ah scheist.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EScurlock:

If something genually offends you please take it up in private... This board has gotten over flame fests before, and will again.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So very wise. Private email will tell you a lot.

No email= Troll.

No answer= Troll.

Flamey response= Troll, or worse; avoid or attempt conversion (hey, it's your life).

Reasonable response= possibly another point of view which was misunderstood or badly phrased.

I see the chest-thumping continues elsewhere; the power of restraint is so underestimated. In a BBS, ignoring the Troll is the most effective response.

After the first "normal" guy or two (simultaneousness happens) posts an appropriate response, like "we don't do that here", the successful tactic is to let it DROP INTO OBLIVION. All the piling-on IS the problem.

Originally posted by Minnesota Joe:

JP's name wasn't even mentioned in this thread until you showed up, now that's something to think about. Borderline hypocritical IMHO.

OK, I'll think about it. Might be right. Tangential to my point.

The only thing that I'm suggesting ...

The danger inherent in "some may be willing to volunteer w/o payment just so they have some authority" (emphasis mine) is not only obvious, but routine, in other closely-moderated groups.

The apparent contradiction in "and can ban/lock when Steve/Charles/deputy mod aren't around. I would really hate for this board to get shut down or cencored" is incomprehensible to me.

Sorry. And I was not referring to you with the chest-thumping remark, but to other threads and counter-threads.

Okay, I guess that's settled. I do agree with your point about avoiding "feeding the Troll" or whatever you called it. I did refrain from posting in about half of the JP threads. However, the rapid influx of posts to each of the JP threads made it difficult to determine where your post would end up when you were done typing and hit the 'submit' button.

And I am quite confident that there are some members of this board who (especially after last night) would be willing to sacrifice some time for the position to watch for other incidents and regulate as needed. There are many at this board who I could trust to do this without suffering from the feared "message board powere trip". For some reason I would especially trust you *guys from the cesspool and some other non-cesspool-affiliated members to have such authority.

*You guys gotta come up with an official name for yourselves. I hate having to type "the guys from the cesspool" when I could just use some generalized term that lebels all of you.

------------------

Ah scheist.

Guest Big Time Software

Ok, some tidbits of wisdom and stuff follows smile.gif

We already have 4 people capable of locking things up, and many more that email us when things get dicey so that we can lock up something that we might have missed. This number has been increased to 6 smile.gif It also covers three wildly different timezones.

The level of BS on this BBS is overstated. Unfortunately, one "good one" can put a sour taste in people's mouths that is entirely disproportional to reality. No means of communicating is without its problems, especially when multi-cultural and diverse (as this BBS is). People have to learn to take the bad with the good. So long as the good outweighs the bad to an overwhelming degree (as it does here IMHO), not much more can be asked for.

Problem cases are dealt with by us. Feeding Trolls doesn't generally help things, and neither does more discussion about the events than the actual events being discussed. In other words... letting us deal with it and then putting it behind you is the BEST way to minimize the damage one rash idiot can cause here. Dwelling on it, with a dozen fresh threads, just adds to the problem.

Er... I think that about covers it wink.gif

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

Oh, one more thing...

we do not delete threads that are offensive/flaming because that is a BAD idea. We did this once and lived to regret it. Once we zap a thread it removes it from public review. If the person who caused the problem then comes back and claims he was victimized (which happened once) we have no public record to defend our actions. Now... picture JP trying to claim he was persecuted. How easy is it to knock down that claim with the threads still at *anybody's* fingertips? Pretty easy smile.gif

Also, as someone above mentioned... some of these threads do in fact contain valuable and constructive materials before they went downhill. Would be a shame to trash that because of some ill mannered postings.

Steve