Generic Unit Markers and Targeting

Preamble: The manual state that the generic unit markers may represent "units that are completely out of sight" and gives the example of units that have "retreated away"

Question: Can a generic unit marker be shown on-screen yet the unit it supposedly represents is not there? To put it another way - Is there the possiblility of false generic unit markers being shown?

------------------

he which maketh the first assault doth endanger himselfe most (sometimes)

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Walter:

However, once you again make contact with the unit that the marker represents, that marker disappears... How your guys can tell that the infantry squad is the one that used to be over there I don't know smile.gif

Cheers,

Walter R. Strapps<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suspect this may have been a little something that BTS may have put in to make life a little simpler for the player. Think of it as an Easter egg if you like.

Michael

Yes, as BTS stated many moons ago, the alternative could possibly leave the batlefield littered with unit markers. And besides, how would the AI know which markers could be taken down and which couldn't?

For example ,if the enemy has one Tiger and it keeps going into and out of LOS, you would generate multiple unit markers - none of which would be of any use except as screen clutter.

Jason

I know, I just think it's kind of funny. I guess maybe (and this is not even a minor criticism, but rather, this is a "probably how I would have done it if I wrote WW2 wargames rather than did genetics for a living"-ism smile.gif), just have the marker 'expire' after a certain number of turns or something. Not complaining, just expressing my *opinion*! I'm sure there are *excellent* reasons for the way BTS did, and if presented in a civil tone, I'd even like to hear other peoples' opinions and thoughts. OTOH, it's pretty sad that I have to include that last sentence just in the hope that one might not get flamed for expressing an opinion...

Cheers,

Walter R. Strapps

Speaking of markers, aren't these supposed to dissappear over time? I thought that was how they worked in the demo(s). Was I mistaken or has this changed?

[searching ... ] Yep. This was how it worked. See Moon's post:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/001834.html

I just ran a quick test on version 1.03 and enemy infantry heading for a flag disappeared into woods on turn 3. They still had markers showing where they were last seen 27 turns later.

[more searching ... ] Hmmm. Yep the manual on page 83 explains that they now *do* stay until you see the unit again or get close enough to verify that the unit is no longer at the location the marker specifies.

I kinda like the old way better (markers only lasting for a short period of time). Why was this changed?

- Chris