Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CM for Game Console?? (slightly OT)

Any thoughts about doing a CM for _future_ gaming consoles?

Before you guys laugh and point fingers, -- im NOT asking about some crummy version of CM ported to the Nintendo 64.

Im talking about far more sophisticated stuff -- If you haven't, you might want to read up on Microsoft's X-Box, coming out next year.

Its got a hard drive and a fairly amazing processor. Not only that, Msft seems to be going out of its way to be developer friendly.

One reason im asking is cause I'm not a Quake/Unreal/Doom player. I like more serious, complicated games exactly like CM. Which i cannot get on any console...

Do you guys think there's a market for more sophisticated stuff like CM on the console?

Would you buy one if you could play CM on it?

considering the thing will also play dvds and at 300-400 bucks probably cheaper than buying a faster computer and/or a 3d card.

I wonder what API Microsoft is going to push for the X-Box. I haven't followed it much other than a couple of hardware details. I suspect it will be some sort of version of DirectX. I wonder what the portability between a PC DirectX game and an X-Box DirectX game will be.

The thing will be to see what kind of sales the X-Box eventually has and what kind of demographics Microsoft can show developers about the purchasing audience. If it involves too much re-coding and the audience is primarily 8-13 year olds - it probably wouldn't be worth doing.

Hmmm, makes me wonder...

What if CM could be ported over to the Gameboy? OMG, people driving down the highway playing CM, riding the subway, eating lunch at the cafeteria playing CM, waiting in the Dentist Office, sitting in the stands at Bengals versus Falcons games, inflight CM battles, and at the hospital, Doctors and Nurses playing CM. The entire world could be at stake!!!!!

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno Weiss

After reading a Salon review of the future of X-Box I'd guess that BTS probably wouldn't want to consider an X-Box version. It probably wouldn't be too much of a hassle to port CM over (most of the code should remain the same with a couple of changes specific to the environment of the X-Box), but the real clincher is the developer royalties. It's the same situation with the gaming consoles. The developers have to pay royalties to the manufacturer to help advertise the platform, etc. Interestingly enough Microsoft offered (in the hopes of attracting all sorts of developers) to waive the requirement for developer royalties (or so it is claimed). However the 'big-boy' gaming companies said 'that isn't the way that it's done'. This locks out the market for the smaller developers since the royalties may take too much of a bite out of any profits that are gained with a console game.

The real volume for X-Box will be games sold on the retail shelf (especially if you're paying for the console's advertising, etc.). The 'Net may change this in some manner, but there is a certain power to the retail shelf when it comes to consumer games.

I also noted that Microsoft discouraged developement of certain games (though this statement may have been more oriented towards the developers that have come under Microsoft's distribution rather than X-Box developers). Microsoft claims that their 'target audience' is 18 year old college males, which would work to a certain degree with CM's sales.

Let's not forget Microsoft's way of eating up developers it becomes associated with,not that BTS would desire or allow that,but sometimes in the case of a megacorp and a small private company the little guy isn't given a choice...

Just my .2$

------------------

Nicht Schiessen!!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Splinty:

Let's not forget Microsoft's way of eating up developers it becomes associated with,not that BTS would desire or allow that,but sometimes in the case of a megacorp and a small private company the little guy isn't given a choice...

Just my .2$

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

An alliance with Microsoft is like a nonagression pact with Hitler. It just means you're next. wink.gif My .1$

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

Did ya see lil Bill's pic in the paper today addressing his exec's at the briefing to announce they was hacked and someone stole their source code, then sent it to a Ruskie email address.... aha ha ha ha

Funniest thing I've seen since the Whip Cream Pie toss. smile.gif

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno Weiss

Guest MantaRay

Why is that funny? That is truly sad. What if BTS got hacked and someone stole the code, would you then be happy about that? Maybe we can get a big laugh if you come home one day and someone stole all of your stuff.

I think that porting to console would be bad news. One of the greatest aspects of this game is the mods. Say it again MODS. BTS released an excellent game, don't get me wrong, but the mods make it simply amazing. Even with consoles having web access mod management would be a programming nightmare on the stripped down version of Windows begin designed for the X-Box. I'm scared of the X-Box myself. Bill hasn't released a non-buggy program on the first swing yet. Win98 2nd Ed. still has problems and ME isn't without error. Now imagine that embedded into your new console system! That's my $1.00 worth.

------------------

"Free your mind!"

well, yeah, OS arena has been ... problematic. But I can't say that Ive ever had much trouble at all with Microsoft GAMES.

Compared with, say, the first release of M1 Tank Platoon 2 (which was a total nightmare...), they've all been pretty darn good.

and I think the x box will run unix....

[This message has been edited by Terence (edited 10-30-2000).]

The absolute BEST tactical WWII game ever is released, and you actually say that the BEST thing about CM is the MODS???

Sigh...

The mods are just icing on the cake people.

I personally play the game w/o any mods. They don't affect gameplay.

Now the user made scenarios are a different matter... but even w/o them, I think a v. 1.05 CM ported to console would be worth the money, but it aint ever gonna happen.

You must have read me wrong. The game is simply awesome in its self, yet one of the best features is the mods. Many people have put a whole lot of hours into making mods for this game and for them, thats probably one of the best parts. For me it adds something new every once and awhile to keep my interest peaked. But please, I know she's a great game standing on her own.

------------------

"Free your mind!"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

The mods are just icing on the cake people.

I personally play the game w/o any mods. They don't affect gameplay.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but they do affect visual accuteness. I couldn't imagine loading up a mod-less CM right now and playing it. It would be like standing naked in front of the White House Press. "Now I thought I had everything when I left the Lincoln Bedroom. WHOOPS, I FORGOT MY MODS!!!"

------------------

"Rule#3: You must be a member of my Meta Campaign to take

part.(doh!)" - Rob/1

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 10-30-2000).]

I'd rather see CM for PS2.

Keep in mind I didn't read anything but the first post cuz I'm a lazy bastard but...there's nothing you can really do to prevent idiots like me from posting innocently worded comments.

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!

A major source of Wild Bill scenarios!

Colin - w/o reading any of the other posts, you nailed mirrored my thoughts! heh. I only say the PS2 becuz I just picked one up. It would be sweet, however unrealistic the wish may be.

Smeltz - You're right, I just misunderstood your message. I will probably grab some of the mods when I'm less lazy, or when they are released on a CD... hint hint.