Mortars really such good AT weapons?

Mortars seem to hit tank sized targets usually by second or third round. How mortars can be this accurate?? Is mortar shooter some mathematical genius counting in seconds exacly where rounds will drop? I dont get it.

Last TCP/IP play i bought 2xHetzers. I knocked out opposing armor but then mortars started to tease me. I tried to keep my Hetzers moving to escape mortars...1st Hetser got hit by 1st mortar round and was killed..second got moving. Moment later i had to assign new movement orders..Hetzer stopped for few seconds BOOM!!! mortar killed it..now with second round hit.

Usually in defensive scenarios i manage to kill 1-2 tanks per 81mm mortar...this doesnt feel very realistic...please explain it to me

someone...how mortar can be aimed so accurately? I thought dispersion is tens of meters.

Hi illo,

Even though Pvt. Ryan said this was discussed before, it is new to me, and I'm willing to discuss it further.

I have had the same problem. I've lost an StuG42 to a US 60mm light mortar. In fact, my StuG was a burning wreck. This is very disturbing.

I'm not sure what they did in 1.1 (which is a beta version). But, if they decreased the accuracy, that may help.

However, my contention is a 60mm or even an 81mm HE round should not really be THAT deadly.

Glad to hear your thoughts.

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

Here's nine pages of arty/mortars vs tanks discussion:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/010910.html

"Official" opinions included.

In brief:

1. Yeah, mortars can hit tanks with a bit of luck.

2. Top armor is usually real thin (Hetzer 8mm).

Mortar blast can penetrate.

I don't find mortars too effective (anymore).

Or too accurate. They used to be real deadly.