Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Holding Fire?

I am familiar with the ambush command, but I am looking for an alternate way to make my troops hold fire unless otherwise instructed.

My concern is when they shoot opportunity fire at long ranges, while moving or still, and I would prefer them to conserve their ammo, or not broadcast their position.

Is there an easy way to do this other than the ambush command?

A Hold fire command would duplicate the Hide Command. Vehicles have a hide command, too. I used it this evening.

I could see a 'hold fire' command with the Nipponese and to a lesser extent, the Soviets. "Anyone who fires before I give the signal will be shot."

"Hide" is not always the best deployment for situations where you are trying to prevent your infantry from picking off targets at 500 yards or more, and wasting their ammo. Also, you cannot move, and spotting is poor while hiding.

Perhaps there should be a "conserve ammo" command that would inhibit units from firing at targets at more than half the range of the weapon.

Just a thought.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hundminen:

"Hide" is not always the best deployment for situations where you are trying to prevent your infantry from picking off targets at 500 yards or more, and wasting their ammo.

Perhaps there should be a "conserve ammo" command that would inhibit units from firing at targets at more than half the range of the weapon.

Just a thought.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At risk of appearing to draw comparisons with Steel Panthers (there's already some ugliness with the OOB and lack thereof), but SP did eventually get patched to let the user setup opportunity fire. While I can applaud the dogfaces for opening fire at a couple hundred yards, it is just a damn waste of ammo.