A good map source

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ncounio:

As a lot of CM takes place in France, have a look at www.ign.fr, it should be a scenarist heaven. You can even found aerial pictures before WW2 !

Nicolas<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Merci Nicolas.

;)

------------------

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped

WARNING! THIS IS A SHAMELESS PLUG!

And if you can't read french (or find out that IGN is not selling directly tongue.gif), go here: http://www.gamesofwar.de and click on MAPS. smile.gif

------------------

"An hour has 60 minutes, each minute in action has a thousand dangers."

- Karl-Heinz Gauch, CO 1st Panzerspähkompanie, 12th SS Panzerdivision

Hey Moon,

I tried ordering from that place but my email got sent back to me. Are they still taking orders for maps???

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moon:

WARNING! THIS IS A SHAMELESS PLUG!

And if you can't read french (or find out that IGN is not selling directly tongue.gif), go here: http://www.gamesofwar.de and click on MAPS. smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Soory Guys but IGN do sell directly !

And I was talking about aerial stills,

i have just tested and a 1955 (the oldest I could find) picture of the town I live and a print of a 4500 square meter area costed 261 francs less than 40 bucks or Euro.

However if IGN does not sell outside France, I am sure you can find some froggies out there to help you.

Oh Moon, btw, I do not want to ruin your business but i doubt you coud have actual 1930-1950 arrial stills of France suited to do map making as IGN has a monopoly on these !

However,IMO, you are doing a different job with your maps with a lot of added value info

to design scenarios !

Nicolas

------------------

Nicolas

Hi Ncounio,

actually, IGN has also a monopoly on the topo maps, since they are the National Geographic Institute in France and the "official" people making maps. But since I am a reseller of IGN, I can offer the aerial photographs just as well. I have a few myself - but found them not as useful as the actual maps for CM, since you don't see the topographic information (elevation lines). They are also ungodly expensive when compare to the maps (which cover a bigger area, too)

From the business point of view - Gamesofwar and the battlemaps are not really a business. Well, not unless I would be selling tens of thousands of maps at least. It's more like a service catering especially to wargaming needs - especially the featured maps coming out shortly.

FYI - besides IGN, I am also working with the National Geographic Institutes of Belgium (www.ngi.be), Holland (www.tdn.nl) and Germany (www.lverma.nrw.de)

------------------

Moon,

I think part of oour misunderstanting is caused by use of a foreign languagge (english for me). I never implied that you wanted to turn your map offer in a golden eggs hen (poule aux oeufs d'or in french). redface.gif

As I totally agree with your opinion,photos don't give the lay of land an denivelation. They are unless you scout antiques, the only source of WWII era (1923-1950) accurate material (build and forest areas, roads and railway). If you refer only to todays map, you will have trouble to design scenarios at least around Paris (Things are built awfully fast around here). Therefore IMO, to be fully accurate you will need both sources.

However CM is a game and I feel that scenario design should keep balance between Historical accuracy and playability.

I wish you could sell thousands of your maps, that would meen that hundred thousands copies of CM sold around the world and perhaps to the nearest galaxy... smile.gif

Weird with this email bouncing... I tested it by sending to BATTLEMAPS@GAMESOFWAR.DE and it worked fine.

Please try again or send directly to MARTIN@GAMESOFWAR.DE

Thanks! (and sorry to others to waste bandwidth here)

Nicolas - no problem. I didn't want to sound like I was defending myself. I didn't feel attacked or anything. Peace smile.gif

You're right about the photos - using both together is the ultimate historical resource, especially around built-up areas and larger cities. As I said, I have a few here, and it is interesting to see how little has changed in some of the rural areas, though. One map from the Falais area could be contemporary - but it's taken in 1949!

Another problem with the IGN photos I ran into is that most of the interesting areas are still restricted! Especially those photos taken during or shortly after the war... ah well...

Martin

------------------

I found a good source of maps from my University Library. (I go to UNM University of New Mexico) There is a whole section on maps I got some 1:50000 scale maps of England for $0.75 a sqare foot. Although 1:50000 is a little small you can see some good detail. They also have 1:24000 maps of the local area so I am going to go back and get those too.

Stenmur