Slightly O/T Super Pershing pics?

Does anyone here know where I could find some pics of Super Pershings? I have read Mr Coopers book( Death Traps ) and I would like to see more of the T26E4 "Super Pershing". I understand that only 12 of the beasts made to Europe, and then only 2 of those made it anywhere near combat, one with Mr Cooper with the 3rd Armored and one with the 2nd Armored Divison, IIRC.

BTW, I would recommend anyone interested in WWII armor read Mr Coopers book, it's quite a read. He witnessed a Super Pershing test firing on a JPZ IV 75L48. At a distance of over 1500 meters the Super completely perforated the JPZ! Through the hull armor, transmission, driveline, firewall and out the back of the vehicle! After all of that, the round buried itself so deeply into the ground that it could not be recovered.

------------------

Driver move out, Gunner take over...

I enjoyed that book too. The author made some errors regarding german armor (claiming only hand traverse for tigers and panthers)but really gives a great first hand account.

The super pershings had a 90mmL70 with a velocity of 3850fps. The author was ordered to put extra armor on it and cut up panthers to fashion plates for the front. I think there were only two of these and 10 regular pershings. The author is highly critical of the US tank policy and General Pattons decision to back the sherman when there could have been pershings in limited numbers from DDAY on.

Lewis

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

I don't know if this is actually a Super Pershing, but this was a POTD on CMHQ on 3/29/00

Nevermind. wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Ol' Blood & Guts (edited 04-26-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

2 points..

#1 That is in fact a T28 and NOT a Super Pershing.

#2 PLEASE do not post pictures off of my site like that! Its a big picture and not everyone is running a fat pipe. Besides all that, it is just plain rude especially when I have covered this exact same thing SEVERAL times in the past...

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

Nah... it's a T-28 (T-29 ?) Super Heavy Tank that never got fielded to my knowledge. A pic that MadMatt took at Fort Knox's Armor museum. The following link is to a pic of a MODEL. I couldn't really find much more:

http://accurate-armour.com/pics/k43s.htm

Oopss... took too long to post that one.

The barrel on that beast looks almost comically super long.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 04-26-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

DOH! frown.gif You got to it before I did!

OB&G, Go ahead and repost that link to see the 'surprise fix' I had planned!

I thought it was funny!

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 04-26-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

Lewis is correct about the look of the Super Pershing, though I have never seen a picture of one. However, the description I got leaves no doubt in my mind that it looked like something Dr. Frankenstein made smile.gif

We included the Super Pershing in CM only because... well... we felt like it smile.gif It actually has NO place in the game, but there it is anyway. Because of this we didn't spend ANY time on the model. Just put in a Pershing with a longer gun. It was either that or not putting it in at all smile.gif

Steve