Off Topic Posts

I have to admit some of the recent O/T posts have been very interesting but also very inflammatory. In a forum where the majority of members have a keen interest in history there are plenty of opportunities for healthy debate to develop. However, this forum is not the place for it. Most of the posts would be better served in the "General Discussion" forum below.

Perhaps as O/T topics pop up here they can be moved to the other forum to keep this forum for the purpose of discussing CM the game, not C/M the catalyst of historical debate.

Just a thought.

KNIL: Koninklijk Nederlands-Indisch Leger

--Royal Dutch-Indonesian Army--

[This message has been edited by KNIL (edited 08-25-2000).]

I hear you but unfortunately some people won't let others have another opinion, it's sad really. When a topic get's ruined just leave. Lot's of intelligent people on this board so I think it's pretty arrogant that some think everything they say is the truth.

I'm guilty of participating in O/T threads. How such threads get started, though, is beyond me. I agree, this is a Combat Mission forum and should be used as such.

I will always support THE thread, though. Despite what some people think, it's for people playing each other PBEM and will always be so. wink.gif

------------------

Sounds like 100% weapons-grade bolonium to me.

Yeah, I just think that I've noticed almost as many Off-topic posts as there are On-topic ones recently. At the same time it seemed that civility on this board was taking a nosedive...

I don't post a lot, but I've been around for a while and things have gotten pretty nasty at times lately. Mind you, the vast majority of posts are still worthwhile, but a noticeable minority have been getting out-of-hand.

Here's to hoping for a return to civilized and open debate...not personal vendettas and "holier than thou" preaching.

Guest Michael emrys

This seems to be a regular feature of nearly every internet forum I've come across. I think it gives you a pretty good thumbnail sketch of what the human race is like. A few geniuses, a lot reasonably decent folks, and a generous helping of assholes.

At a previous time and in another place, I offered the opinion that "the human race got taken out of the oven just a little too soon." But here we are, for better or worse. We may be a sorry lot, but I haven't come across a eugenics program yet that I would trust.

If you're truly on the side of the angels, just hunker down and keep doing your best. Don't lose heart when the Cossacks show up.

Michael

P.S. As for the issue of discussions drifting off-topic, just chalk it up to our living in the Age of Free Association. Everything reminds somebody of something else. Properly used, it can unleash tremendous creativity. Unfortunately, a lot of folks don't realize that they don't know how to use it creatively.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

This seems to be a regular feature of nearly every internet forum I've come across. I think it gives you a pretty good thumbnail sketch of what the human race is like. A few geniuses, a lot reasonably decent folks, and a generous helping of assholes.

B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow. Assholes? This is by far one of the tamest boards I've seen for a game so far. =/

I mean on most other boards I've seen all this stuff would have long ago degenerated into cursing and name-calling galore. I'm pleasantly surprised that I haven't seen that happen here yet. Maybe i've missed something?

Kitty

Ps - Isn't this topic also "off-topic?" wink.gif